Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Two screens - one laptop ?

Skipper Billy

I would like to use 2 screens simultaneously when imaging with my laptop. That way I can have PHD, Focusmax, Stellarium etc on one screen and my imaging prog. on the other rather than flicking around from window to window

My laptop only has one VGA output (and a couple of USB ports).

Any workarounds besides a full size PC with a video card with two VGA ports ?

what's your operating system now Skipper?

Im using windows 7 and when I grab the title bar of a window (left mouse) and drag to the top left of the screen, it will re-size the screen to half the display. I then open another page/window, grab the tile bar ( left mouse again) and drag to the opposite side (top corner of the screen) I then have two separate screens,  both displayed at same time, working  between the two, yet they both remain visible at all times. this all on a 23" screen here.

You can install a virtual video device on your laptop and run an Anrdoid Pad as a second screen.

You can also get USB / VGA adapters

I think Windows has the capability to drag stuff from one monitor to another

Dave

Windows since at least XP has the ability to connect to two screens, either as clones, or as two different images.

However in my experience the video chip in your laptop will be the deciding factor.

It may crash if you don't have two identical monitors running not too many pixels and not too fast a frame rate.

If you Right Click on your laptop screen you can look for supported modes, resolutions, frame-rates etc in the Properties.

You might end up with one big external monitor with all you progs on it as Charic suggests,.

Michael

While it's only a single additional display solution, I picked up a GeChic USB powered display a few years back. It attaches quite nicely to the laptop with a hinged mounting plate. I love it.

Archived