Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New vs Used

Hi Everyone,

Back for some more advice regarding buying a refractor. Although I know its an entirely personal choice I was wondering what peoples feelings were regarding buying a second hand scope and in particular a Skywatcher ED80. I have over the years brought plenty of second hand items from the likes of Ebay etc etc but for some reason I am leaning toward purchasing new when it comes to a telescope. One consideration is the cost difference of new vs used which doesn't really seem to be that much (less than £100) in many examples of an ED80. If I did go down the used route any guidance as to what to look for when looking at something like an ED80.

Many Thanks

Tim.

Quite simply ask the seller as many questions as you feel you need to, to become fully enlightened and confident about the product for sale. In that way you also build up a rapport, a sense of confidence in the honesty and competency of the seller and the item you intend to buy. I have had no problem with buying three telescopes second hand, each on ebay. One of these I collected, the other two arrived by courier, which included a 14" solid tube OOUK dob shipped in UK and a refractor shipped from France. Communication is the key and I have been fortunate with both the buyers and the couriers in this regard. Also it goes without say, crucially, considerable attention to packaging is part of the overall requirement.

I always buy kit used, almost without exception.

Most people really look after their kit and generally speaking focuser play can be adjusted out with a bit of persistence.

As long as the item is optically clean and tidy and the body cosmetically good (expect a few small marks from use) then you'll be fine. 

Consider resale values when you buy anything as you may eventually want to trade up. Sometimes I spend more on an eyepiece or a focuser than I do on the scope.

I bought an excellent used  (small) scope in mint condition (and with a few "extra's") to add to my collection at a very fair price. I think my tuppence-worth is to have a phone-chat and then go and see it before you buy. Speaking to/meeting the vendor will tell you a lot and means you can get it home yourself (avoiding possible damage "in the post"). Most genuine astro-amateurs would have no objection to a "genuine buyer" coming to inspect the kit and pick it up (they can show-off their obsy - and if they also use the obsy to house a knackered donkey and a drove of pigs, you may draw your own conclusions). Of course, you cannot do this with Ebay, or if the seller lives in some remote ex-lighthouse in the Outer Hebrides, but you generally can with "UK astronomy buy and sell" and other "classifieds" sites - especially if you are prepared to wait for something "relatively local".

P

I'll add my support for second hand as well - having purchased zeiss lenses for the cameras (including 3 x 500 mm telephotos), I've never had a problem.  They arrive well packed and never a problem with communications.  When buying the 130, that was 'new' and that was because there were no second hand OTA's at the time.  It being a collectors item I took the opportunity when it presented itself.  So, for me second hand is usually the better option when buying good equipment.

michael

Once you've opened your new kit it becomes used. This is worth a moment's reflection! I have bought new kit and also second hand. In terms of reliabiltiy, I would say second hand has it. This is because I can afford the very best kit second hand but not, in the main, first hand.

Olly

I got my 80ED for a very good price. Sure it's old (the gold model) and it's got the single speed focuser but optically I'd doubt theres a difference between it and one off the self. I think the main thing with buying second hand is patience. if you want it now and it has to be X, then better buy new :)

Skywatcher 80EDs come up relatively frequently here and on ABS, but they to get snapped up quickly (within a few hours), so once you have the funds in hand. I'd look at both sites at least twice a day! 

I always try to pay for higher value items using Paypal (never as a gift) and I am perfectly prepared to pay a small premium to cover the seller's Paypal fees.  Paypal gives the buyer a degree of protection (but not total protection) if the goods turn out to be mis-described, damaged, faulty or don't turn up at all.  Sending payments with a cheque, in cash, via a bank transfer or with Paypal 'as a gift' gives the buyer little or no protection if it goes sour.

I nearly always buy/swap for used items my only major new buy is is the NEQ6 I use & I only brought that due to a bonus I had a few years back. The ED80 I have is used as was the previous one I owned & both have been great scopes.

Archived