Lightweight Quality Zoom???

Paul73

Hi Guys

I've always been a bit wary of Zooms but am now wondering about one for my f7.5 SW ED80. Big heavy eyepieces are difficult from a balance PoV. And swapping eyepieces exagerates the problem.

Are there any good quality lightweight zooms weighing in at <750g. The 8 to 20 something mm range is the target.

Thoughts?

Paul

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got a Vixen LV 8-24mm second hand a little while ago. From what I understand this has been re branded by various companies during its lifetime and accordingly there may be quality variations. I must have an exceptional example because it really is excellent, only softening very slightly  between 9 and 8 mm. Its happy in all my scopes with their different f/ratios and is particularly useful in my grab and go Borg. It does need slight refocusing throughout its range and eyerelief also varies. For me its not an issue, but for glasses wearers it could be.

The Baader 8-24 is around 450g I think. It's pretty good for a zoom.

I've recently picked up a low cost Celestron 8-24 zoom which has proved better than I expected. That weighs around 270g I think. Not as good optically as the Baader but it's around 25% of the price.

Sadly Paul it has now been baked in a pie :grin:

I think from what i have read in the 8-24mm range the Baader is the one to go for though I did read one of two member that had a few problems with the build going back to launch time. If I wanted a zoom of this nature that would be what I went for or the Pentax which is a fair bit more pricey at around 400 quid but is meant to be in a class by itself.

Alan

I got a Vixen LV 8-24mm second hand a little while ago. From what I understand this has been re branded by various companies during its lifetime and accordingly there may be quality variations. I must have an exceptional example because it really is excellent, only softening very slightly  between 9 and 8 mm. Its happy in all my scopes with their different f/ratios and is particularly useful in my grab and go Borg. It does need slight refocusing throughout its range and eyerelief also varies. For me its not an issue, but for glasses wearers it could be.

Seconded for the Vixen LV 8-24mm. Had one for years, its a versatile eyepiece and is far smaller than the Hyperions

"Pentax in a class of its own"?? Better than the Baarder?

Has anyone tried the Lunt offering?

Paul

Funnily enough I tried it this afternoon looking out into the garden! I'm a relative newbie but to my untrained eye I was quite impressed - sharp to the edge and a sharp field stop. Now all I need is some decent weather and proper astronomical subjects! It's FoV is a little small at the wide end (only 40°).

Ian

I guess the top dog zoom currently is still the Leica ASPH 8.9mm - 17.8mm. It's weight is around 500g I think. It's price is more of a drawback perhaps ?

As far as I'm aware there are 2 Pentax zoom eyepieces, the XF 16.5mm - 19.5mm and the more expensive XL 8mm - 24mm.

The Baader Hyperion zoom is a good performer but it's not infallible. When I was observing the supernova in Messier 82 last year I switched from the Hyperion Zoom at the 8mm setting to my Ethos 8mm and was surprised at how much brighter the galaxy appeared and how it's dark rifts were shown with more contrast with the Ethos. I was expecting some difference of course because the Ethos costs more than twice as much as the zoom but I was not expecting the difference to be so immediately clear.

Despite that I still think the Hyperion Zoom provides a great overall package for it's sub-£200 purchase price.

The non Asph Leica zoom like Pig (Shaun) has are supposed to be excellent, with a small FOV- I would imagine it would be great for planetary/solar.  I do like more FOV for clusters like M13, Carolines Rose and M37 and this is where the wider zooms might make a difference.

Just been checking out the Pentax XL on FLO's website. It looks like a lovely bit of kit, but the description mentions vignetting at high magnifications. Whilst being very honest, it sounds a bit worrying when it gets mentioned in the marketing blurb.

Has anyone much experience with these eyepieces? Otherwise the Baarder is heading for the Christmas list. The Leicas are a bit rich for me.

Paul

Just been checking out the Pentax XL on FLO's website. It looks like a lovely bit of kit, but the description mentions vignetting at high magnifications. Whilst being very honest, it sounds a bit worrying when it gets mentioned in the marketing blurb.

Has anyone much experience with these eyepieces? Otherwise the Baarder is heading for the Christmas list. The Leicas are a bit rich for me.

Paul

I read that too Paul, but I think they mean for glasses wearers because the eye relief gets shorter at high powers. Unless I'm completely missing the point I believe they are using the term vignetting to say that someone wearing glasses would not be able to take in the whole field of view at high power. Not vignetting in the normally used sense.

I read that too Paul, but I think they mean for glasses wearers because the eye relief gets shorter at high powers. Unless I'm completely missing the point I believe they are using the term vignetting to say that someone wearing glasses would not be able to take in the whole field of view at high power. Not vignetting in the normally used sense.

On second read, you may be right. I did think that it was a strange statement when trying to make a sale.

Paul

Thanks John

I am thinking that the 40° FOV at the long end may be rather claustophobic. This coupled with the short eye relief at the short end and price, makes the Baarder seem like an excellent option.

Paul

Thanks John

I am thinking that the 40° FOV at the long end may be rather claustophobic. This coupled with the short eye relief at the short end and price, makes the Baarder seem like an excellent option.

Paul

The Baader is 42 degrees at the 24mm end and around 70 degrees at 8mm. The actual AFoV does not quite match the published specs. I found I was treating it as an 8-20 zoom because I felt the 24mm point was too narrow and the field stop rather ill defined.

From what I hear the Baader MK III zoom competes well with much more expensive ones and are held in high regard by many. The ability to catch the seeing is a huge benefit to these eyepieces. The zooms might be down a hair for contrast on some faint DSO- but again the ability to get the right exit pupil and mag make up for a lot... Baaders coatings are very good as a nice bonus, I would look at their barlow too...

The Baader is 42 degrees at the 24mm end and around 70 degrees at 8mm. The actual AFoV does not quite match the published specs. I found I was treating it as an 8-20 zoom because I felt the 24mm point was too narrow and the field stop rather ill defined.

Thanks John

Where are you getting the 40° figure from? Both FLO and 365 are quoting 68° at 8mm to 50° at 24mm.

Paul

Thanks John

Where are you getting the 40° figure from? Both FLO and 365 are quoting 68° at 8mm to 50° at 24mm.

Paul

http://www.cloudynights.com/topic/287534-hyperion-zoom-mark-iii-tested-afov/

I've done some comparisons myself as well to check this out. With the Hyperion zoom at 24mm the AFoV is comparable to an orthoscopic eyepiece. At 8mm it exceeds a TV Radian noticeably.

Thanks John. If you have checked it. 40° it is!

To me, their marketing blurb is misleading in the extreme.......

I can't argue with the CN chaps findings. Although it looks like some still like to argue!!!

Paul

Paul,

The Leica vario zoom is very light and a very reasonable size, most importantly it is gives fantastic 3D views. In fact I would say the best results I have experienced from a zoom eyepiece.

The FOV is not massive at the lower power setting, about 38 - 40 degrees at 22mm. However, it does deliver a generous 68 degrees at the high power end, approx 7mm. In addition slight adjustments are required across its range to achieve focus, personally I don't find this an issue due to the trade off with the quality of the views.

Archived