Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Another disappointing Evening

Astro Imp

Had a lovely clear day and set the gear up as darkness approached. Had half an hour or so on the moon waiting for complete darkness. I realised with the moon only a couple of days from full it wasn't going to be the greatest of nights but you have to make the most of any the clear night the way it's been lately.

Went in for dinner and came out an hour or so later to find 100% cloud cover  :mad:

Oh well I suppose if I wait long enough there will be another good night.

Had a lovely clear day and set the gear up as darkness approached. Had half an hour or so on the moon waiting for complete darkness. I realised with the moon only a couple of days from full it wasn't going to be the greatest of nights but you have to make the most of any the clear night the way it's been lately.

Went in for dinner and came out an hour or so later to find 100% cloud cover  :mad:

Oh well I suppose if I wait long enough there will be another good night.

I feel your pain Alan, I'd set up and managed to get a brief view of the moon, clouds rolled in and it's forecast 100% cover here all nighttoo. All packed up and hoping for a couple of hours in the morning. Alarm set for 4am :)

Hope it picks up for you.

Rob

Up in Scotland at the moment for work, and was hoping to bag some time with some darker skies with some new binos last night, but the usual cloud spoils any plans. Britain and clear skies for astronomy around this time of year seem to be rarer than winning the lottery sometimes!

Absolutely no chance again tonight, cloud hasn't shifted all day here in the West Midlands and forecast a fair bit of rain, at times torrential over night.

I'm banking on it being crystal clear Saturday night as I'm off to a party my brother has organised for his daughter.

Ahh well, as Prof. Brian Cox once played keyboard too.... "Things can only get better" :D

Rob

Almost set me scope up after finishing work at about 10pm last night. Then saw the rather large and ominous bank of cloud rolling in and decided it wasn't worth it for the five minutes I'd get. According to Clear Outside, I've got another five or six days of this to go...

Oh well, back to watching the sheep on the hillside (though how they manage to cling to those fields upside down is beyond me! :p )

Kris Akabussi once said/quoted: "Blessed is he who does not set his sights too high, for he shall not be disappointed." I've come to agree, especially in astronomy. I think we just have to accept Britain is a cloudy country and astronomy is a part-part time hobby :grin: I am therefore no longer disappointed if the clouds roll in after setting up, for there is always another night and other things to be cracking on with.

Although sometimes I crack out a magnifying glass through a toilet roll on an astro pics book just so that I can pretend... :laugh2:  :laugh2:  :laugh2:

John

Got my hopes up again tonight, got the bus back from my darts match and the sky was clear! Raced home, got the scope out, gave it twenty minutes or so and got outside. Managed about ten or fifteen minutes observing the Moon before a massive bank of cloud rolled in. Looks like it's here for the night. Gutted.

Archived