Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Moonfish 2" eyepiece

Saso

I order 2" 30mm ultrawide 80 degrees eyepiece from Moonfish.

It came in a few days very well packed and in the 2" eyepiece case . They also refund me money because I pay too much for shipping costs. They also want to now if eyepiece came and if it is everything alright.

Main features

Focal length: 30 mm

Apparent Field of View: 80°

Fully multi-coated

Barrel: 2" / 50.75 mm

Rubber eyecup

M49 camera thread

Elements: 5 elements in 3 groups

Eye relief: 22 mm

Field stop: 40.8 mm

Weight: 570g (1.2lb)

Length: 114 mm (4.5")

Other

Blackened lens edges

Threaded for 2" filters

Rubber grip

End cap & bolt case

image.jpg

Finally is clear outside so I can look trough this eyepiece. I first look to Pleiades. It is great to see this cluster all in eyepiece. Picture come well in focus so I don't have any trouble with that. In my scope (ratio 7.5) stars are very sharp only in maybe 10% at the edge they are not. I also don't see any false colour. If you want to see everything that is possible with this eyepiece you must move head around - only drawback is that you must have eye in the right position otherwise you don't see anything anymore. But I quickly learn how I must do that. Then I try to view Saturn and M44. Also great view.

I can't compare eyepiece with others because this is the first 2" eyepiece that I have and look trough.

For now I can't add anything else but that I think that for 59 pounds and shipping that eyepiece is a bargain.

CS Saso

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just see in their site that they also have from 29 January 15mm 2" 80° eyepiece. If I now that earlier I would not buy Widescan III 1.25" 13mm 84° eyepiece. It cost almost 3 times more then Moonfish. :lol:

Saso

I had a play with a MoonFIsh 50mm i think it was in my now gone 8" reflector f/5 worked a treat Gaz, the Eyepiece was fantastic and worth every penny my friend paid for it still has it and use's it more than any other eyepiece in his collection inc:Naglers,Meades etc etc.

Nice report saso

James

I order 2" 30mm ultrawide 80 degrees eyepiece from Moonfish.

Fabulous eyepiece! I got one in December. It's worth the money just for the gorgeous view of the whole of the Pleiades through my 1200mm focal length telescopes (at x40 with a 2 degree actual field).

Gaz, I've got a 2" 32mm EP - not moonfish though.

There is some softening at the edges of the field but the large FOV actually makes up for that. And it's a great for searching for little fuzzies...

Personally I love it, in fact it's the only EP I have now (except the 12mm illuminated).

Ant

Gaz, I've got a 2" 32mm EP - not moonfish though.

There is some softening at the edges of the field but the large FOV actually makes up for that. And it's a great for searching for little fuzzies...

Personally I love it, in fact it's the only EP I have now (except the 12mm illuminated).

Ant

I intend to use it as a finder it'll give 2 deg TFOV in my Newt, as you say at 80 deg even if I 'lose'" 10% I can live with it.

The thread on POPASTRO hangs on a member claiming to have:

'Just bought a new 15mm widescan eyepiece from the Moonfish group, (already bought the 30mm 80 degree 2-inch of them a while ago), well upon receiving it, it turns out to be a Meade series 4000 super wide angle 14.8mm plossl, 67 degree apparent field.'

Meade do not offer a Series 4000 SWA 14.8. They do offer a 13.8 (fantastic eyepiece) but I'd be very surprised if it were that one. He might be comparing it with Meade's Series 4000QX 15mm eyepiece ... which would be a pity because that one is not very impressive.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Thinking of getting one as well along with 2" diagonal. Don't know whether I can use the ordinary push in type which I would need for the ED80 with the NS8 SCT or whether this would come up against the mirror. Will I need to get a screw in diagonal as well :?

Martin

I got it this morning and have been playing with it since around 20:00. I'm not qualified to do an in depth review (esp after one night) of an eyepiece but a first impression that I can't see changing is that the EP suffers at f5. The edges start to go soft at around 70% and get worse very quickly.

My f9.4 is a different matter, the stars are sharp right to the edge and it's a very good eyepiece at this focal ratio, I could get all of Pleadies in the FOV at x40 mag. I'll keep you posted on how it fairs at 7.5 when I get my ED 80, my guess is it will do well.

Thinking of getting one as well along with 2" diagonal. Don't know whether I can use the ordinary push in type which I would need for the ED80 with the NS8 SCT or whether this would come up against the mirror. Will I need to get a screw in diagonal as well :?

Martin

Martin

I got the Ultrawide with the Moonfish diagonal - it's a high quality diagonal.

I got it this morning and have been playing with it since around 20:00. I'm not qualified to do an in depth review (esp after one night) of an eyepiece but a first impression that I can't see changing is that the EP suffers at f5. The edges start to go soft at around 70% and get worse very quickly.

My f9.4 is a different matter, the stars are sharp right to the edge and it's a very good eyepiece at this focal ratio, I could get all of Pleadies in the FOV at x40 mag. I'll keep you posted on how it fairs at 7.5 when I get my ED 80, my guess is it will do well.

Gaz

My f10 is fine with the Moonfish. Haven't tried it with a lower f ratio

Moondog

The Revelation is the same on my f/5, but then I think it's pretty much the same EP isn't it?

That said, the views are really very good, things like the double cluster are just amazing!!

I'm going to try it down at the A.S. next time out on the 12" dob and the 16" LX200.

Archived