Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Stargazing events

seandent83

Hi all :-)

My first time on here and actually first time on a forum of any kind so forgive me if I'm being a massive NOOB !

I am looking for a stargazing event to go to which has a good view of the milky way, amongst other things, and have found one in Dalby Forest on the 6th November that sounds pretty good. 

Has anybody been to this before and if so could you tell me a bit about it please i.e. do you just turn up and look with the naked eye or is there experts on hand helping point things out and telescopes set up that you can look into etc...

Anything tips too about car parking or clothing to wear etc... anything would be greatly appreciated.

It's a date too, so hoping to impress! :-)post-47365-0-56300200-1444562562_thumb.j

Hi and a warm welcome to SGL.

Never been to this event but found this http://www.scarborough-ryedale-as.org.uk/saras/event/public-stargazing-in-dalby-forest-201516-2/?instance_id=5180

As it's a public event, sounds like the ones my local club does, so assuming they are similar -

We invite members of the the public to view the night sky through our club members telescopes. We ask that they check the weather forecast to save a wasted journey, but cannot of course guarantee clear skies, wrap up warm with stout footwear, bring a torch but keep it pointed down. We have 'greeters' to let people know what is where. Each telescope has its owner present to let people know a bit about the object on view.

Well that's how we do it, but maybe contact the club concerned to check.

No need to worry if you are a beginner, clubs exist to help, that's why we do what we do.

Hope you are able to go and fortunate to have clear skies. If it's cloudy, just find out when the next one is, or perhaps attend a regular meeting, if they are anything like my own club, you will be very welcome.

Good luck, Ed.

Searched much the same as Ed has.

It is listed as a public event so it is fine to attend, appears to be a regular arrangement.

The SRAS site says:

Our regular public stargazing at the Low Dalby Astronomy Centre in Dalby Forest held during the autumn and winter months. Come and see the stars, planets, nebulae and galaxies under one of the darkest skies in the country.  The site of the society observatories was awarded the Milky Way Class of the UK Dark Sky Discovery Award in January 2013.

Please wrap up warm and bring along a torch (preferably red to preserve your night vision).  Take care in the car park also.

If the weather happens to be inclement, please don’t be put off.  A member of the society will give a talk / virtual tour in the warmth of the Forestry Commission Visitor Centre.

Take a red torch if at all possible, really white ones are frowned on and they do destroy night vision amazingly fast.

Wrap some red plastic (sweet wrapper) over a small white light one to save the trouble and expense of locationg and buying a red light one.

Will also advice against the use of a smartphone to get a picture, the flash they may have is equally poor.

Look at it this way - do you really want to go to hospital to get one removed from somewhere?

That is only about halfway to be a joke.

If it is a date then hope goes well but unlike one I was at where someone was trying to impress his companion remember you may not actually know all the secrets of the universe.

If you have them then take a set of binoculars along, birding ones are ideal like 8x42's - you do not need powerful ones and the reality is that many astronomers would prefer 6x42's over 8x42's.

It will be COLD I expect, so take note of that bit.

Seems a long way from Lincolnshire ?

Wow! Thank you for replying guys! Very helpful. Yeah i looked for ones closer to me but couldn't find any where the milky way is visible?

It's only visible with the naked eye from really dark places in this country I assume ☺

Hi Sean. 

Just replied to your query through the SARAS website whilst catching up on some of our enquiries but also come across your query on here.  So for everyone else.....

In terms of what happens at these events, a number of society members will have telescopes available for members of the public to look through and to tell you more about what you are observing.  They will also point out some of the major constellations and asterisms for you.  Wrap up warm as it can get very cold and try and use red light to preserve your own and others night vision.  If the night happens to be cloudy or wet, we have use of an indoor space in the Forestry Commission Visitor Centre where members can give a virtual tour or talk as an alternative.

Hope this helps.

Thats true. I once ran a star party and the lass that was running the car park got hypothermia! Regret i hadnt tumbled to the fact that the youngish volunteer had typical female youth clothes on @and no overcoat@. She did a great job standing there directing traffic n folk but that meant she wasnt moving around much on a cold still damp night. Opps.

Sent from my iPhone so excuse the typos!

Btw check the weather out before you leave for dalby. Scarborough and the local can gave a micro climate at times. Especially with easterly winds.

Sent from my iPhone so excuse the typos!

Wow! Thank you for replying guys! Very helpful. Yeah i looked for ones closer to me but couldn't find any where the milky way is visible?

It's only visible with the naked eye from really dark places in this country I assume ☺

Once you have seen it, you will find it easier to make it out in poorer skies, usually if it is right overhead.

But you will be knocked out by just how spectacular it is at a truly dark site - I remember seeing it on Exmoor and nothing else can make you feel as small.

Archived