Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Help!! re Canon 550d

Thalestris24

Hi all

So I took lots of pics of the supermoon eclipse on my 550d + 300mm. I just downloaded the images to my PC but something seems to have gone horribly wrong!! :( :( I just did a straight cut and paste from the sd card. But the files that it pasted it thinks are only 128kb :o I shot in raw + jpg and copied both over. The exif data says they are the right resolution but I can't open the raw files and, when opened, the jpegs just show as background with a thin strip of image detail at the top. I just tried again with some quick test images - they have the right size when the files are inspected on the sd card but again are only 128k when copied to PC. Please tell me my images are recoverable somehow!!

Thanks

Louise

Hi

I did a cut and paste just via Win 7... :( Not had a problem before... Looks like I've lost them all, then :(

After staying up all night, all I have is a screen grab of the thumbnails :( Even the larger thumbnails won't display properly. They appear momentarily then disappear!

post-33532-0-47630900-1443460594_thumb.p

I still don't know what's causing the problem. Any ideas, anyone?

Thanks

Louise

if you re-insert the sd card back into the camera, are the picture then viewable on the camera preview ?  If so, then connect the camera to your PC and use either Dave's suddestion of using Image Browser and or use File explorer to read the card through the camera.

If these are the only images on your SD card and the capacity is showing that you have used several GB from the total capacity of the card, then there is still hope.

Without a plug in for Windows Live View, Windows can't display Canon Raw files.

Hopefully the card is still in your PC and you have not shut down the system, if so then Ctrl+Z should undo the Ctrl+X action.

In My Computer locate the SD card and Right click on it and then select properties, this will show you the total capacity, the used capacity and the available capacity, thus confirming whether the data is still there or not.

Do not remove the card or shut down your PC until you have checked out the above, otherwise the clipboard will be cleared of any temporary data.

Future use, never use the 'cut' command for sensitive data, but use 'copy' Ctrl+C and then manually delete the data after you are satisfied that you have acheived your aims.

EOS Utils tethered with the card still in the camera is my method.

All the best.

Rich

Hi

Thanks but the card is in the camera... I normally just do a cut/paste from within Windows and have never previously had a problem. I don't know why it went wrong this time. Of course, I wish I'd done a copy paste now! I've downloaded some recovery software but need a sd card reader. I'm not very optimistic that anything can be saved now, in which case I'll put it down to experience. My Win 7 64 does display .cr2 files but in any case I took raw + jpgs and both are apparently lost.

Louise

Update! I suddenly remembered that I have a card reader on the laptop (I've never used a card reader before!). So downloaded some free software - 'Recuva' - and have managed to recover most of the lost image files :) (They aren't very good - it was rather misty...). Still, phew! I've no idea why the transfer went wrong - a mystery!

Louise

As others have said on here - I always download direct from the camera (550d or 1200d) using the USB lead and Canon utilities and it's never gone wrong yet! I never remove the card from the camera.

Peter

Hi Peter

Same here - that's how I've always done it though just under Windows 7 64. Of course, normally when I'm imaging with a dslr it's on a mount and controlled by APT. However, for the eclipse, I used a 550d in standalone mode on a tripod. I had to remove the sd card after the upload went wrong so I could use the recovery software on it. I lost some images because I took some more test photos after I'd had the problem. That was a mistake and prevented the recovery of all the images but at least I got most back :)

Louise

Hi

Well I think I found the probable cause. My modded 1100d that I use for widefield is permanently plugged in - ready to go! However, it seems I'd left it switched on - since before the eclipse! I get very forgetful and easily distracted these days... I suspect that having the two Canons plugged in at the same time caused a conflict. I don't suppose the drivers allow for multi-camera support. So when I did the fateful upload, the system must have got confused. Something to bear in mind in the future. Meanwhile, I must get round to backing up all my images, lol. I just bought a 5Tb external hard disk - that should do.

Louise

Glad you got most of them back... I'm paranoid about losing images  so never cut always copy and tend not to move either - I use copy and paste again  and then delete them from the original location once everything checks out...

I have run multiple cameras at the same time without any issues...

Peter...

Good to hear its sorted, I pretty much always plug my SD card into the laptop these days its often easier if the camera is on the tripod (side mounted card slot) some recovery software can deep scan and often get back images even if they are over written.

Alan

Different cameras.. various mixes from 1000D, 500D , 7D , 5DIII etc... controlled through APT ...

I hardly ever transfer files directly from the card in the camera (although APT does it)... I use USB3 card readers and silly speed cards...

Peter...

Well, I just tested APT with both an 1100d and a 550d connected. Seem to work fine provided I selected them as camera 1 and camera 2 rather than the default 'auto' which is what it was before. I've never had two cameras connected at the same time before via APT! I probably won't again. I've not bothered trying to upload images from an sd card again and with both connected. I'll just be more cautious in future!

Louise

I'm just glad you managed to salvage some data...

I did run 3 cams at the same time from APT once but only once...

Peter. ..

3 cams at once :o I probably could have done that when I was younger, lol. I do often run two imaging rigs at the same time - widefield heq5 + 1100d + 200mm lens and my AVX + qhy8l + 130pds. The former from a PC, the latter from a laptop. I've still yet to set up and try the Star Adventurer I bought several months ago. I really should at least power it up to make sure it actually works!

Louise

Archived