Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Lunar craters Cuvier and Licetus

Siriusmeg

A not-quite-finished sketch as the Moon went behind a tree.   :mad:   Getting the loppers our at the weekend to deal with that one! Usually I sketch then come back in to consult the moon map for ID - so I am a bit shaky on the identification of this one.  Still, it was good to be out and sketching again, and I did enjoy the company of a very noisy hedgehog...

post-19332-0-13319600-1442956056.jpg

Hi Siriusmeg

How long have you been sketching? This is great!! I think the last time we spoke you were considering giving it a go?

You really got the shadows right (something which I can never do!) and so much detail in there!

I've just attempted my first lunar sketch in quite a while, it aint pretty thats for sure but I'II post it in the morning. :)

Hi Siriusmeg

How long have you been sketching? This is great!! I think the last time we spoke you were considering giving it a go?

You really got the shadows right (something which I can never do!) and so much detail in there!

I've just attempted my first lunar sketch in quite a while, it aint pretty thats for sure but I'II post it in the morning. :)

Thanks Mike - I was thinking of your 'sketch the Messiers' project the other day - I must try that, your work really inspired me to give sketching a go!   :smiley:

I've been sketching about a year and it's fair to say that it took a  while to get a technique, but I really enjoy it, it makes me look so carefully and all sorts of details pop out that I'm sure I would miss otherwise.  I would have liked to do far more with this sketch - going to have to give the bushes a serious trim!

I was thinking of your 'sketch the Messiers' project the other day - I must try that, your work really inspired me to give sketching a go!   :smiley:

Yes definitely give it a go!

Something that I really enjoy about sketching is that even when you've sketched all the Messier it doesn't stop there. Different apertures, sky conditions and you also learn more about objects you've sketched making you want to revisit and compare all makes it very worth while.

I've completed over two hundred astro sketches now but I can still remember each night just by looking at a sketch, each sketch turns out to be a visual memory which I think is pretty cool. :)

A lovely sketch.

Though I would probably quite fairly be considered a hardcore engineering type and haven't really done much since I left school, I took both O-level and A-level Art.  Every time I see someone post a sketch I think I must have a go myself.

The children have been eating much of my time over the last twelve months, but once I have a little more time to spare I shall definitely give it a go.

James

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there ,it was the shadows in drawings that made me pick up a pencil,you have great eyes for the shadows I to enjoy sketching and the shadows are what I try to capture they turn ,a normal drawing into a great one ,

Great work

Pat

Archived