NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Anyone having a try for the Cocoon this month?

scarp15

The Cocoon nebula is on my target list for this month. I have tried on previous occasions, but only fairly casually and using an O-III filter instead of the considered to be more effective H-beta. This time I will use my Lumicon H-beta, VX14 and 21E combo. A faint and challenging subject, similar in scale (but a little harder) I believe to the Crescent. I hope to give it a shout on Saturday from a dark sky location, if the transparency holds up. Anyone else up for the hunt or have you previously been successful? 

I've not tried it this season, but last year, I had no difficulty in seeing it in C8 in my backyard with a UHC filter. H-beta should be a better filter for it, while OIII is the wrong one for the jobb, here's part from David Knisely's filter comparison:

"IC 5146 THE COCCOON NEBULA (diffuse nebula in Cygnus)

(10 inch f/5.6, 52x, 71x).

DEEP-SKY: (2) A bit better than no filter, but object is still easily seen as a dim roughly circular irregular patch in some stars without a filter.

UHC: (3) Slightly higher contrast with more irregular interior dark detail.

OIII: (1) Fainter and slightly smaller than in UHC (OIII hurts it).

H-beta: (3) dimmer than UHC but shows larger area of outer nebulosity and slightly better defined dark detail in the form of irregular lane like features.

RECOMMENDATIONS FOR IC 5146: H-BETA/UHC *near tie* (OIII not recommended).

"

I did try a couple of times last year with the 10" scope I had back then and an H-Beta filter. I can't recall seeing anything to be honest.

Time to have another go perhaps :smiley:

I've yet to see anything worth mentioning with my Lumicon H-Beta filter - maybe some vague hints of things but no more. My skies at home (where 99% of my observing is done) are OK but not really that good for the really deep sky stuff apart from the occasional exceptional night.

I did try a couple of times last year with the 10" scope I had back then and an H-Beta filter. I can't recall seeing anything to be honest.

Time to have another go perhaps :smiley:

I've yet to see anything worth mentioning with my Lumicon H-Beta filter - maybe some vague hints of things but no more. My skies at home (where 99% of my observing is done) are OK but not really that good for the really deep sky stuff apart from the occasional exceptional night.

So far this filter has enabled me to drift along the edge of the California and I have glimpsed the horse head, an object I would like to resolve further if at all possible. Very select though, perhaps determined as being an additional rung in the ladder for occasional use when circumstances permit. 

Here's more comments from David about Cocoon, 8" scope with UHC was his first Cocoon observation.

I'll do a comparison of TS UHC with new Astronomik UHC and H-beta when it's clear, if the cheapo TS UHC shows the Cocoon better, it'll remain in my case as Cocoon filter. :smiley:

I had a TS UHC for a while a few years back. I seem to recall that it compared very well to the Orion Ultrablock which is also a good UHC-type filter for those who don't want to splash out on Lumicon or Astronomik.

Of course the TS could concievably be the same thing as the Ultrablock under different branding.

Re the cloudy nights thread kindly posted by YKSE.

Some really interesting points from Mr K. Some good input from Don P. But the rest of the thread makes me very very glad that we have SGL where common curtesy is still at the heart of the vast majoity of postings.

Might have to add an H-Beta filter to the wish list!

Paul

Here's more comments from David about Cocoon, 8" scope with UHC was his first Cocoon observation.

I'll do a comparison of TS UHC with new Astronomik UHC and H-beta when it's clear, if the cheapo TS UHC shows the Cocoon better, it'll remain in my case as Cocoon filter. :smiley:

Thanks for posting, this is one thread with comments by David Knisely that I had not read. I will be taking my 8" F6 scope to Kielder starcamp in a few weeks time, after exemplary views I received recently of the NA and Veil I am very much looking forward to attempting large diffuse emission nebula with it. Also a good reminder that the profile of M43 is somewhat enhanced, indeed the Orion Nebula in entirety becomes a transformed dynamic form, different in context with the H-beta, compared to an OIII or unfiltered view (I do not have a UHC). Good to include attention to my list for IC1318 Gammi Cygni nebula and incorporating Butterfly Nebula centred around Sadr.

I think your VX8 is going to work great for this Iain, question is Hb or UHC? Even with my hindering 1.25" Hb the California shows well as do the dark shadows of IC1318. The Cocoon is a different story for me, I've seen it, but its very tough for my eyes ( & Hb), I was wondering if a good UHC might be the ticket....

Yep will be trying! Failed to locate/see previously...

Saw the Crescent neb for first time last month, and it showed good structure - well worth a look using an O-III. Swung over to look for the Cocoon neb leaving the O-III screwed in, but didn't find it that night...

Sounds like I need to swap over to the UHC - thanks for the link ;)

Edit: just checked David Knisely's webpage re Crescent - he recommends the O-III for that one, and indeed I saw the full oval of nebulosity. Isn't that page really great as a resource!! Cheers.

Archived