Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

North or south

Kaznkev

I'm getting my roof replaced and was thinking about getting a window put on it so the I can view the sky from my loft.

I live in the west of Scotland and have the choice of putting the window on facing either north or South.

Anyone think it would be better on either side?

Any time I've had my telescope out I have been in the back garden which is the South side of the house.

Am I thinking too much about this and would be better just going outside or is it something that any of you guys have?

Stay outside mate.

There are so many reasons why trying to observe through a window (open or not) is a bad idea. 

Thermal currents rising.

Vibration amplified by the scope of any movement of the ceiling joists. (as you or anyone else moves about)

Restricted view, You'll find even a 4" scope severely restricted when trying to use it through a window.

No optical quality glass in the window itself (if you try to observe through it)

I did it years ago and trust me it's really not worth it.

What swamp thing says.

For astro observing you always want to choose south (if you live in northern hemisphere) since that's where objects rise highest. But you also want to be in a place with no heating and no thermal currents - outside or in an unheated observatory open to the sky. A skylight would serve to lighten your home in daytime and perhaps give you a pleasant view. If it's south facing it'll get sunlight, which is good or bad depending on how much it will heat the interior. If you would only want it for astronomy then save your money.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Depending on the extra cost to have one put in I'll get it south facing but probably won't bother setting my telescope up in the loft.

It will still be good for light through the day and just to look out with the naked eye when I'm not using the telescope.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Depending on the extra cost to have one put in I'll get it south facing but probably won't bother setting my telescope up in the loft.

It will still be good for light through the day and just to look out with the naked eye when I'm not using the telescope.

I lived in Germany for a few Years, and in my house, my loft floor was made of concrete, and with the loft access closed, it was  the same temperature inside the loft, as it was  outside, but the height of the  window over my head was an issue of reach, and unless I could take the window right out,  things just got in the way?

Your  house  will still radiate heat  from external surfaces, so your  still stuck in a thermal current?  should this be of any concern ( some folk  even worry about grass or paving slabs giving of heat, affecting their thermal equilibrium ) so wherever you are, something is, and will be, against your best efforts to view the stars.

But if you do go ahead and fit a window, it will add plenty of extra natural light in what was once, probably just a dark room, providing a basic office scenario, or an additional man-cave to get away from everything. Just make sure there is an easy escape route?

At the end of the day, you won't know what it will be like using a telescope through the roof/skylight open window, until you try it?

Stars to the south will appear to be moving along better than northern stars/sky. So for purely aesthetic reasons, I'd go for the south.

And I would not do this to be able to observe the sky with a telescope from inside. This would be to invite blurry stars due to the convection-currents from the temperature difference between inside & outside. Rather like the mirage of water down a long roadway in summertime. So i'd leave my observing to the outside with a scope, but enjoy my view looking out my window with my own two eyes.

Dave

Although it's obviously better to observe outside, it's worth noting that the renowned comet and nova discoverer, George Alcock of Peterborough, observed through double glazed windows with his binoculars in his later years. This way he discovered Comet IRAS-Araki-Alcock in 1983 and Nova Herculis 1991 (http://martinmobberley.co.uk/Alcock.html ). The former was using 15 x 80 bins and the latter 10 x 50 bins. Quite an inspiration!

Go well!

Jeremy

Archived