Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The Spectacle is now a Bonanza - 22nd August 2015

Pig

As difficult as it may be to believe proceedings are just getting better and better :laugh:

The arc is just as prominent as yesterday and the protrusion prom has split into two mass blocks, the sunspots just below the centre are fantastic with some lovely Plage surrounded by streaksof gleaming orange rivers of plasma, photographic views here this morning :laugh:  :laugh:

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Glad to see you are enjoying the clear skies, Shaun. Our time has come in this part of the map. The active region was stunning earlier with a bit of flaring, I really liked a spiral arm that looked lke it was twisting between two spots. Two big fat prom areas, I thought I could see a thin arm but don't think it reached all lthe way back to the surface.

If it holds up for a little longer I plan to do some Quark tuning testing.

Good luck anyone who is in with a shout/is overdue some sun.

Sounds almost poetic there Shaun :). No Ha kit with me today unfortunately, might sneak a peek in White Light but it was very quite the other day, despite the fireworks in Ha

Its is very nice indeed here this morning Stu, I may go for a walk around the lake :laugh:  White light should be quite nice as there is quite an active region facing us :laugh:

Glad to see you are enjoy the clear skies, Shaun. Our time has come in this part of the map. The active region was stunning earlier with a bit of flaring, I really liked a spiral arm that looked lke it was twisting between two spots. Two big fat prom areas, I thought I could see a thin arm but don't think it reached al lthe way back to the surface.

If it holds up for a little longer I plan to do some Quark tuning testing.

Good luck anyone who is in with a shout/is overdue some sun.

Yes its about time we got some rays Luke :laugh: and that active regions is lovely. I have just bought one of these

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/moon-neutral-density-filters/variable-polarizing-moon-filter.html

It is a bit cumbersome when used as the set with the quark but individually they are fantastic for enhancing the surface detail. I will try them as a pair the next time the Moon is out as that is their intended purpose.

Managed to get five mins clear, against the odds and just before the grey came back.

Definitely worth seeing; the proms are wonderful although the one farthest South - sorry, two as it has, indeed, split - seems to be fading. And AR12403 is just about stealing the show ...

I finished up testing my Quark from 3 clicks counterclockwise through 2 clicks clockwise, though thin cloud arrived on the scene during tuning, so I am not sure how much I will learn. Two clicks clockwise looked considerably offband to me on the lappy screen. Funny, all other Quarks I have had and Sarah's liked two clicks clockwise or more on our gear, and my renegade Quark is different.

I finished up having a look through Sarah's Quark and ED100, the views were lovely. Nice flaring in the big AR still, and one of the big proms had some lovely dark arms (cooler I take it) in front of arms behind it.

And the other big prom was creeping nicely onto the disc, a really nice filaprom with plenty of detail.

Not the most activity I have seen elsewhere but three killer features, each one worth a look on its own merit if you are lucky to have some blue patches.

Luke I tend to stay in the centre and 1 click clockwise so I would say mine is within the realms of you non renegade Quarks, I don't suppose many folk will have the capacity to compare 3 of them in one sitting :laugh: I also agree that it is surprising how the rest of the disc is so smooth.

The jury's still out on exactly where my Quark is best set but on my most recent decent spell with it I had the feeling three clicks counter-clockwise gave me the best views in my set-up.

Luke, as Shaun points out, few of us will have the opportunity to compare three Quarks at once. But from my short experience with them and the acres of words I've read about them, there is little doubt in my mind that they are very individual pieces of kit.

Luke I tend to stay in the centre and 1 click clockwise so I would say mine is within the realms of you non renegade Quarks, I don't suppose many folk will have the capacity to compare 3 of them in one sitting :laugh: I also agree that it is surprising how the rest of the disc is so smooth.

Our reserve Quark is not getting so much use at the mo, Shaun, I intended to image with it a bit and double check I prefer the other one, but lack of long sunny spells has left it pumping iron in the gym trying to foce its way back into the starting lineup :laugh:

I have used a total of seven (!) Quarks, I feel like I am a reseller :grin:

The jury's still out on exactly where my Quark is best set but on my most recent decent spell with it I had the feeling three clicks counter-clockwise gave me the best views in my set-up.

Luke, as Shaun points out, few of us will have the opportunity to compare three Quarks at once. But from my short experience with them and the acres of words I've read about them, there is little doubt in my mind that they are very individual pieces of kit.

Very true, Gordon. I feel also that it is true to say you get variation in all solar h-alpha filters, certainly the two SolarMax's we had here differed. One we preferred single stack over the other, and the other seemed to be the best one double stacked.

Quarks of course can vary a fair bit in bandpass. I don't mind that much as the brighter ones seemed to be extra good on proms (not that the dark ones are poor, it's just the brightest was even better).

There does seem something a little odd with my Quark though compared with its siblings. As far as I recall, it is the only one that does not get fairly warm on the outer housing due to the internal warming of the cavity. I initially put that down to that Daystar must have altered the design. But Sarah's later Quark does get warm just like the old ones.

I am also puzzled why a 35nm Baader h-a filter did not work very well in place of the UV/IR cut, which should be an even better internal ERF if your scope is compatible. I couldn't seem to get it on band despite trying different tunings. And I prefer this Quark for imaging over the backup Quark even though the backup is darker and needs a longer exposure time. Maybe it's not really different to the general Quark population and just seems that way as the others I tried were more similar.

Anyway, cracking sun today. am wondering if Bedfordshire will esacpe the lighning.

I think all scopes and probably eyepieces vary quite a bit, optics must be more susceptible to the effects of minor differences than a lot of other products

I am looking forward to the lightning, even though it can get a bit scary.... I may try and get some snaps of it :grin:

The sky cleared here unexpectedly at 3.25pm this afternoon.  I had an hour and a half before the weather closed in again.  It was indeed a wonderful sight in my Lunt 60 DS, and that was in the presence of some haze most of the time.  The area around AR2403 was a cauldron of activity with 'rivers of larva' much of the time, excellent.  The big filaprom with the two part base was also quite spectacular.  Before I had finished observing, the two bases of the filaprom appeared to have merged into one.  There was also a second very small filaprom on the NW limb.

I didn't look at AR2403 in white light alas and didn't realise how good it was until I came in and saw it on spaceweather.com. 

I hope to get a good view in white light tomorrow morning.  It's forecast for torrential rain and thunder tonight before clearing in the early hours of the morning - I have my fingers crossed that this will be correct!  There is a weather warning in force and I've just this second heard the first rumble of thunder.

So, looking forward to tomorrow morning if I'm not washed away in the storm - the thunder is getting louder !!  :eek:

Archived