Whinhill Observatory

Stevp

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Steve - how's your build progressing? Got it under roof yet? We need an update my friend - inquiring minds would like to know... :smiley:

Progress has stalled a little due to other commitments and the weather. I've made start with the vapour barrier and cladding but only about a third of the way up the walls. The timber is sat waiting for the walls and roof so i just need some decent weather to get cracking with it, lets see what the weekend brings.

post-20900-144603080713_thumb.jpg

Not quite a photo of the current state but I'm not a great deal further.

Steve, looking good & I know what you mean - work, the weather & shorter days are really slowing me down. But oh well - Rome wasn't built in a day so we'll just keep at it til the job is done. I've been thinking about that old saying - it ain't over til the fat lady sings - but I ain't heard a peep outta the ole bitty yet!  :grin:

You might want to double check that your roof supporting walls are plumb, level along their entire length & from side to side from one another and running parallel then brace them off with 2x4's to the floor joists before you install all the siding because if not -you won't be able to do much adjusting later. This is very important for smooth operation of the roof & ease of construction & if you find you're a little off kelter some shims could be added here & there to true everything up. I'd throw another top plate on there as well letting the corners overlap in the opposite direction but that's probably just me being over cautious once again.

Good luck & keep us posted on your progress...  :smiley:

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like you have a good job going there.  I am in the planning stages for a springtime build.  I see you have your concrete poured for the pier.  What do you have in mind for your pier?  I am researching ideas for that.

Good luck with your project.

Tim

Afternoon all, sorry I've been absent for a couple of weeks, I've had plenty of non-astro things on lately.

The observatory is slowly progressing when the weather allows, the walls are now clad to the top (Thanks Scorpius, yes all plum, level and square:) ). I've now got two of the joists up that will carry the rails for the roof too.

As for a pier I decided to go with a locally fabricated steel pier. I've yet to arrange this but have got a fairly good idea of design, which will then be bolted in to the block.

Hopefully some updates to follow at the weekend.

Archived