NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

"Just one more telescope. I promise"

Well, I just did it.  I have been wanting to try one of those new-fangled Go-To mounts and so I just ordered-up one.  Hey, it's only money so I ordered the Celestron Edge 9.25 and the CGEM mount.   A person can only read and search and read and search and ask questions and ponder so long before a decision must be made or take the chance of going bat-[removed word] nuts!  

So what have I done?  Celestron says this.... you say that .... the other guy says ________!

All, I know is that I feel relief.  Relief that it's over.  The deed is done.

Delivery scheduled for next week.  I'll get back to you.

In the end you have to make a decision. I have looked through this scope and was impressed with the view and detail it gave on Jupiter. I am sure you will not be disappointed. Hope to see your first light report.

What have you done....

Well given yourself potentially about 2 weeks of frustration getting the data in and the thing aligned.

Also wide views are likely to be hard work, the scope simply has a long focal length so higher magnifications will be "normal".

Stick a webcam in and you should get some good images of Saturn and Jupiter and maybe Mars - something like a 2x Powermate might help.

What have you done....

Well given yourself potentially about 2 weeks of frustration getting the data in and the thing aligned.

Also wide views are likely to be hard work, the scope simply has a long focal length so higher magnifications will be "normal".

Stick a webcam in and you should get some good images of Saturn and Jupiter and maybe Mars - something like a 2x Powermate might help.

But looking on the bright side.......

2 weeks????

I will definitely give a first light report.  I also have a youTube channel so I will make a video too.  I searched YouTube to get a look at the 9.25 and couldn't find a video that showed the telescope.  There were several of the 8" Edge so okay the 9.25 is bigger.  Ha.  I will gibe an honest report of what I think of it.

Hey ... they said I can align it in 15 minutes.  lol

With some practice, you will be able to align it in 15 minutes :smiley: ,  and you still have to wait another halv an hour or so for the scope to cool down to ambient temperature.

Congrats on the purchase :grin:  I had a 9.25 and it was fantastic, some stunning views. Dew control is a must in the UK so you may need to consider this in NY.

Thanks for the good reports from those of you who have had these telescopes.  Very encouraging.  P.S. I got a call from Astronomics the day after I placed the online order.   The CGEM mount is out of stock ... more coming in a few days.  Hey, I've waited this long, I guess I can wait a few more days!  

I received the telescope and mount and spent a nice Sunday afternoon setting it up.  Then I noticed some things that I didn't like.  When I went to instal the diagonal, I could see dust and particles on the lens in the telescope.  I took off the dust cover and pointed a small flashlight down the tube.  I could see a hazy (dirty) ring around much of the outside of the mirror.  There are also spots of something here and there on the mirror.  I expected the big mirror to be pristine!  What should I do?

Pointing a light at a mirror is often a bad thing to do as they often look horrendously dirty like this. However, I would expect a new mirror to be pristine, so that doesn't sound right. Talk to your supplier and at least get it checked out, if not replaced if you are not happy.

I called the dealer and he suggested I send a photo.  I took a couple pictures and when he got them, he contacted Celestron.  Apparently, they are going to "hand-pick" a telescope to replace this dirty one.  I will be interested to see how long this process takes.

post-45511-0-58947100-1438627228.png

I emailed some pictures of this dirty telescope to the dealer where I bought it.  He called Celestron and was told that they will send me another "hand picked" Edge 9.25.  Haven't heard from Celestron yet but I will give them a day to do their thing and get their act together.  Apparently the picture of the dirty mirror was quite convincing.

Update:  I sent pictures of the dirty mirror on the 9.25 and Celestron is replacing the telescope with a "hand-picked" telescope.  I am also sending the CGEM back as it had something ugly on the side of it. (pictures below).  I should receive the replacement telescope and mount tomorrow.

Archived