Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

new camera

at the moment I am using a couple of Olympus SDLR's for all my photography, however, having read a far bit about "astro photography" it seems I may need to buy a new camera ( well these bodies are quite old) so would I be better with a Canon or Nikon, as there seems to be a lot of different choices, This is still in its early stage, but would appreciate a few views from the astro photography section,  Many thanks, and don't tell the wife!

Canon are generally used for AP, due to the software available, Nikon's are still good but not so much choice software wise.......a liveview screen that twists is the most helpful thing you should aim for..... 

thanks for the replies, all, and Happy-kat, the Olympus bodies are dslr's, I would like to dabble in astrophotography, the only thing with the bodies I have is that I am not sure if they could be modified, and see on this site that Canon can be, hence my query, thanks again. Lum

Am Nikon user here.  Main software is BackyardNikon, which is written by the same author for BackyardEOS and is almost identical.

That said, If you do not have a preference, then I would go for a relatively cheap second hand Canon or two.  You can then get one modded and see how you get on with that.  The choices for filters and software are greater for Canon's too.

am still sticking with my Nikon though....unitl I go CCD....so a few years to wait with it then :tongue:

You dont have to modify your camera to have a go. I would have a go with what you have as you don't need to spend any money to try.

Deep sky stacker is free. See if it handles the raw files from your Olympus.

What model is your camera?

You dont have to modify your camera to have a go. I would have a go with what you have as you don't need to spend any money to try.

Deep sky stacker is free. See if it handles the raw files from your Olympus.

What model is your camera?

cheers for the replies, as always, practical advise, Happy-kat, in reply to your question, what model are my Olympus bodies,my  first camera body is an Olympus E400, and the 2nd one is the E510, thanks Lum,

Archived