SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Failing newbie about to quit

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I 'd previously tried a version of it a few days ago. Basically with it all at the "start/home" position (which i may still be misundtrestanding) I told the GOTO to go view a particualr object. The Moon say.

Then once slewed to some randon point as it would seem, I then unlocked and moved the scope to point at the moon, hoping that it would be sorted now its got this bearing it would move to he next chosen object correctly, but sadly this did not seem to work. I'd hoped it would work in principle at least even aif a bit "rougfh" ut would at least clear my understanding!

What you did with the Moon would only help if you were running a 1, 2 or 3 star alignment. The Moon isn't available as an alignment object anyway, but try that approach for the first star on even a 1 or 2 star alignment, taking care to center it using the slew keys if required.

It's only any use on the first star. Basically your giving Synscan its first absolute position from which to work out where it is. A bit of a proxy for the home position.

If it's a bit out when it slews to the 2nd or 3rd object ALWAYS keep the clutches tight and use the handset slew keys to center, or else the encoders won't see the correction you make and the handset won't "learn" anything from aligning on that star.

Honestly, it really is that easy! I just hope you persevere and get that Eureka! moment. You'll be jumping for joy. Synscan is really good once you get it going. 

Ok one thing worth checking is that the top of the mount (where the scope dovetail is secured into the mount head) is the right way up.

I have had something like this once where it was the wrong way so the mount thinks that up is down and down is up and it caused my scope to slew towards the ground.

On my HEQ5 the correct way is to have the locking clutches on the same side.

Not sure if this is your problem but worth checking.

Telescope manufacturers really need to employ Apple to design the software on their goto scopes, they are notoriously difficult to use instinctively and the instructions are rubbish.

Problem if they do that is the price will be three times it's current :rolleyes:

As darkness is somewhat scarce this time of year there is a way you can check your settings inside in daylight.

This is easiest with a smartphone planetarium app eg Google Skymap where as you move the phone it shows the corresponding area of sky but can be achieved with the online version of stellarium and a compass.

You need to place a two or three markers around the room (blu-tack on the walls etc) that correspond with the current position of some alignment stars.

Place your mount as close to true north as possible and check your altitude. Then fire away testing your handset settings, you'll need to move the markers every half hour or so.

Obviously you will not be able to see/centre some blu-tack through the scope but if it's slewing in approximately the right direction you should be good to go.

I find problems are generally easier to fix in daylight, without the pressure of wasting valuable clear skies.

When i had to set-up every time, i would point the scope at polaris, the tripod feet were in indents in patio so PA was close, slew to a star then move it manually and align finally with the handset then any other stars are with a clutches tight just use the handset, if a mount still points to the wrong way it could be the north/south and east/west in the wrong slots......

Problem if they do that is the price will be three times it's current :rolleyes:

And every time you sync the handset every computer in the house will be wiped of all usable data simultaneously...

iTunes? Am I really that thick?

Good job I'm not a music fan :D

Just read a few of the earlier posts on this page, one thought comes to mind: Are you mixing together the terms Polar alignment with the Goto alignment.

You do the Polar alignment to set the mount up so that it rotates more or less correctly about the same axis as the earth does.

Then you do the Goto alignment.

All it will be is one bit of data, it may not be you either the earlier version of software had a bad habit of changing the timezone - you entered it right but the software changed it.

I would half suggest that you carefully write down all the data required on a nice big sheet of paper, double checking everything is right or better have someone else double check.

Then hit the reset option on the handset and clear it all out.

Then sit down and reenter it all again slowly and steadily, tick off each item as it is entered and still double check that the right data is put in.

After a while and when things just do not "correct" themselves this is often the best approach, I have hasd to do it a few times on my scopes.

If you managed to arrange to meet up I half guess that it is what might occur.

Im now thinking that teh idea of "HOME" is wrong.

I may be over simplifying and I'v not used any spirit level or played with the degree rings.

The scope "home, weighhts down and forwards pretty well pointing at Polaris as is the polar scope .

But I'm now thinking thats not correct?

I thought that Home was weights down, scope level and pointing due North.

As in towards Polaris in direction but not AT Polaris.

Commonly referred to a Level and North.

The ascope is Level and pointing North.

Forget the degree rings, they are there to really confuse you later on.

"Polar align by just getting Polaris within the Position Angle Circle on the finder. (yeah, dog rough!)

Select a star that is visible from my location and then it slews somewhere, anywhere, Rarely near the target. But Synscan thinks that's where it's at so make it so!. Gently release the clutches and gently move the scope manually to get the target star in view. Nip the clutches up and use the slew keys to center the star in the eyepiece and ENTER.!"

Yay I'm liking this approach. Very Engineering logic.

I 'd previously tried a version of it a few days ago. Basically with it all at the "start/home" position (which i may still be misundtrestanding) I told the GOTO to go view a particualr object. The Moon say.

Then once slewed to some randon point as it would seem, I then unlocked and moved the scope to point at the moon, hoping that it would be sorted now its got this bearing it would move to he next chosen object correctly, but sadly this did not seem to work. I'd hoped it would work in principle at least even aif a bit "rougfh" ut would at least clear my understanding!

I'll watch some more of the vids suggested when I'm home later and see if I get my eureka moment

Cheers all

I'm not sure I'm following what you are doing.  I apologise, therefore, if what I say is off-beam (or teaching grandmother to suck eggs).  Also, I don't have a Skywatcher mount so I'm not entirely sure how they work (or the Synscan handset for that matter).  I am assuming that all the data has been entered correctly into the handset.  But do check that for latitude and longitude you have told the handset whether it is N or S and E or W.   

There are two separate phases to setting up.  One is getting the mount polar aligned.  On my mount the "Home" position is indicated by arrows - all I have to do is make sure that the arrows on both sets of axes line up.  This is the only time that I loosen and tighten the clutches.  Polar alignment is then achieved by sighting polaris through the polar scope.  If adjustments are needed, then these are done by adjusting the RA and Dec bolts on the mount.  The telescope itself is not moved.  You do not loosen and tighten clutches.  The home position arrows should still be lined up at the end (since you have never adjusted them).  

At this point the mount is (roughly) polar aligned, which is good enough for government work.  The telescope itself should be pointing in the general direction of Polaris (that is northwards), but Polaris will not be in the field of view of the telescope.  

The second phase is to deal with the GOTO alignment of the handset.  This is quite different from polar alignment.  In my case, the telescope will miss the first star chosen by the handset by some considerable margin - it may not even be in the field of view of my low magnification finderscope.  You then move the telescope using the handset so that the star is now central in the field of view.  You do not physically move the telescope, and you do not loosen and slacken the clutches to adjust by hand.  This will mess everything up.  It usually takes around 3 separate alignment stars before my system is giving me an accurate GOTO.  I have a Celestron mount and will typically use use two alignment stars, and 3 calibration stars (I don't know if there is a SynScan equivalent).

If you are just starting out then some sort of star map will be helpful to give you confidence that you are identifying the correct stars during the GOTO alignment process.  I use Sky Safari on my iPad which I can have by the telescope.  This is a great program (I think I have the most expensive version - it's not that much), but there are many alternatives.

I hope that is helpful.  EQ mounts are a little awkward at first (I started with an Alt/Az).  But once you get your head around it, they are a breeze.

I also found this page which might be useful: http://www.skyatnightmagazine.com/feature/general-guide/equatorial-mounts-part-1

You're dead sure you have Polaris, and not aother star, in the polarscope? Shining a laser pointer through the polar scope makes confirmation easier. Common sense needed regarding aircraft, of course.

Olly

I think Im MASSIVELY missing the point somewhere setting up MY WIFES  new scope!

I really think I'm just missing something FUNDAMENTAL in the setup.

Yes, I think the fundamental point that you are missing is that this is your wife's new scope, not yours :smiley: . Get her to set it up, then she can educate you when she's cracked it.  :smiley:

Some good advice on this thread but I think your best bet would be to get someone to show you once and it will all make sense.

Good luck!

Regards

John

• 2 weeks later...

Not a new astronomer, but new to Goto mounts (NEQ6) - thanks to the OP the advice in this thread has been invaluable, absolutely brilliant.

The general advice is excellent, but by following those astronomy shed  videos it gave me a very good understanding of the mechanics and how to manage them best. Took me a little while to figure out 'why' some of the steps are required, but once I started putting it into practice it started to make sense (like why it is a good idea to centre the dec clock on zero).

Many thanks all, and OP, I hope you've been able to work it out.

Kev

Hi ALL  I've had this same issue with my NEQ6 Pro.   Was fine for months after I aquired it.  Then once, on shutdown, I think I "parked" the mount  ( god knows where and why  ).  From then on I never have had the message --   set scope to home position - before starting alignment. 

Goto set up was a mess until I read on here about the "slacking of the clutch method" when centring your first alignment star.   Since using this method I am back in business. It does seem unneccessary but it is what it is. 

Would love to get the message -  set scope to home position - again, before alignment process.  If anyone knows how, please enlighten me.

BTW -  Running 3.27 

Just my half a penny's worth.    HTH    John

Wow, after reading all of this  :confused2:,  I'm so glad I stuck to old school equipment, simple charts, and a guide book; and no issues to make me consider quitting.

On another Astronomy forum there is a saying.......  " If your not having fun at this hobby, you are not doing it right. "  

I had the strangest problem the other day, my mount was also pointing in some complete different direction, on the first alignment star, it was totally going the wrong way.  Mine even has GPS all dates everything was correct.

I chose "FACTORY RESET" on the Hand controller and restarted the mount, everything worked perfect after that.

Just to add to anyone reading/ helping. it is appreciated. :laugh:

Im no technophobe , give me a car/computer/washing machine and I'll fix it!

But I did not  know anything about the sky except for the Plough, for my entire life before having this thing to deal with!

And if anything I'm finding there is  too much information in too many places, but with a lot of assumed knowledge.

I think the issue is my joining these bits of infrmation together in this case

No worries! :) 

You are more than welcome and in the right place. These seem to be typical problems when new setup is bought. 

Beside, trying to sort things out with a bit of humour is the best way! :)

Archived