Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Mount for Lunt 50

Highburymark

Hi all,

I'm just about to buy a Lunt 50. But I've only ever owned catadioptric scopes so have no experience with mounts for small refractors (currently I just have a standard Meade ETX tripod and a nexstar evo tripod, neither of which I presume can be used or adapted as a base for the Lunt?).

So just wondering what are best simple alt-az mounts/tripods to consider for the Lunt - I won't be using it for photography and I don't have lots of storage space so don't need anything sophisticated. Even a table top mount would be fine if it is firm enough, and I think manual tracking would be fine.

All ideas gratefully received. Thanks

If you attach a standard vixen dovetail to the scope then your evo will be perfect!  I use an evo with my solar scope - use the solar system align and choose sun for alignment and you'll track perfectly :smile:

Helen

If you attach a standard vixen dovetail to the scope then your evo will be perfect!  I use an evo with my solar scope - use the solar system align and choose sun for alignment and you'll track perfectly :smile:

Helen

Thanks all,

Helen, it sounds very dim but I didn't think the evo mount would be usable - unlike the 8" and 9.25", with my modest 6" the OTA came preinstalled - and I hadn't thought it could be used for other scopes - so thanks for the advice.

And owmuchonomy, when I say I'm just about to buy, I should really say I'm just about to put my name on a long waiting list.....

For grab and go, you could also consider a mini-giro mount on a photo tripod. I use that for quick visual sessions with the Coronado SolarMax 60. Works a treat for those fleeting cracks in the clouds. It just bagged me an M-class flare, which I could never have seen with my great Polaris mount

post-5655-0-01254600-1431891971_thumb.jp

For grab and go, you could also consider a mini-giro mount on a photo tripod. I use that for quick visual sessions with the Coronado SolarMax 60. Works a treat for those fleeting cracks in the clouds. It just bagged me an M-class flare, which I could never have seen with my great Polaris mount

That looks like a nice set up Michael - thanks for posting.

Thanks all,

Helen, it sounds very dim but I didn't think the evo mount would be usable - unlike the 8" and 9.25", with my modest 6" the OTA came preinstalled - and I hadn't thought it could be used for other scopes - so thanks for the advice.

And owmuchonomy, when I say I'm just about to buy, I should really say I'm just about to put my name on a long waiting list.....

I bought it with the 6" too :wink:  If you are careful to balance the scope well you can use it without power as a simple alt az too :smile:

Helen

Although some may say my set up is not very 'grab & go' I have manage to carry it around. 

I use an old vixen porta (predecessor to the vixen porta 2).  Got it secondhand for £130, the standard plate with one bolt end pressing on the dovetail felt very unsafe so I upgraded to an ADM vixen style saddle (the SkyTee-II VSAD-TAK8 model).  It goes straight on replacing the other plate.  Its solid and really nice to use now.  

Consider the mini porta with the ADM plate as a lighter version. 

This set up is great. 

post-28631-0-29002400-1435042745_thumb.j

An AZ3 is excellent for solar observing as it has slow motion controls and is nice and light weight for running in and out between clouds. You can get tripod adapters for the AZ3 which allows you to easily attach the Lunt.

post-8355-0-73086900-1435055251_thumb.jp

I just took delivery yesterday on a Lunt Solar 50mm Ha/B600 Filter.

I mounted it on an ES Twilight I mount using the recommended (by Lunt) dovetail: Lunt Solar 100mm / 3.94" Dovetail # LS100PS.  Initial view yesterday afternoon worked well.  I'm going to move it to a CG-4 Eq mount over the weekend (same dovetail) so I can track the sun.

Yes, you can find the 50's.  I bought mine in the US at AgenaAstro.  I got the last onw with the B600 filter, but they have a heafty supply of the models with the B400 filter.

Clear Skies

First of all thanks to everyone for all your ideas and advice. Massive help.

Looks like end of July for next shipment of 50s to the UK - although won't get my hopes up too much ( thanks to Steve at FLO for getting back to me way ahead of any other dealer I contacted). I know how long these things can take.

Now it's just a case of which model. Should I be looking at B600 filter model even if I'm not going to do any photography?

Archived