Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M31 with the AstroTrac - my first photopost here

MartinFransson

Hi everyone!

Recent member here, I thought I´d share a few of my photos so far. Have only been doing this astro stuff for 1,5 years or so. The first photo I wanted to share is this one - my version of M31 from last year.

All images taken with my AstroTrac, before I got a proper mount. Total integration time: 3 hours 44 minutes stacked from 120s and 180s exposures. Stacking and preprocessing in PixInsight, final editing in Photoshop.

ISO 800, Canon EOS 1100D (mod.), Canon EF 300/4L IS, AstroTrac.

post-45229-0-48591000-1434559848_thumb.j

Martin - absolutely superb! It's amazing to think that just a camera and a relatively simple mount can produce better results than a professional telescope could not so very long ago. That's not to take anything away from your efforts, Martin. You will have spent much time and care setting up, taking the data and post processing. Well worth it though!

If you take pictures like this with the AstroTrak, what do you need a mount for?! Way to go!

Well, for several reason really. GoTo is nice of course but most of all - the possibility to get longer exposure. I wanted 10 minute exposures, for dimmer objects. With the AT I was limited to 180 seconds at best. Most of the time I couldn´t get more than 120 seconds. And the fact that the AstroTrac needs to be reset every 1,5 hours or so. Each reset making me find my target again, retuning the polar alignment etc.

On a good night I can set up my gear and get 5-6 hours or more of good data. With the AstroTrac I was happy if I got 1 hour or 2 worth of good subs. That´s not good enough for me when clear nights are so far apart :smiley:

Well, for several reason really. GoTo is nice of course but most of all - the possibility to get longer exposure. I wanted 10 minute exposures, for dimmer objects. With the AT I was limited to 180 seconds at best. Most of the time I couldn´t get more than 120 seconds. And the fact that the AstroTrac needs to be reset every 1,5 hours or so. Each reset making me find my target again, retuning the polar alignment etc.

On a good night I can set up my gear and get 5-6 hours or more of good data. With the AstroTrac I was happy if I got 1 hour or 2 worth of good subs. That´s not good enough for me when clear nights are so far apart :smiley:

At this point I probably should apologize. The question was not meant serious. It is a mantra here, that the minimum requirement for deep sky imaging is the HEQ5. This rule seemingly does not apply to you :smiley: . I've seen many pictures from people including myself with a scope and the HEQ5 and they/we don't come anywhere close to this picture of M31. I am looking forward to see what you can do with a mount and guiding.

Cheers and clear skies!

HJ

At this point I probably should apologize. The question was not meant serious. It is a mantra here, that the minimum requirement for deep sky imaging is the HEQ5. This rule seemingly does not apply to you :smiley: . I've seen many pictures from people including myself with a scope and the HEQ5 and they/we don't come anywhere close to this picture of M31. I am looking forward to see what you can do with a mount and guiding.

Cheers and clear skies!

HJ

Ha ha, OK I see. Being new here I didn't know that. No need to apologize anyway! [emoji4]

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Superb imaging and processing - I like the kit used as well - but then I may be biased ;):)

Looking forward to seeing more of your work....

Peter...

Thanks Peter!

My goal is to make the most out of the gear I have. CCD is not an option for at least the next few years so I want to see what I can do with the DSLR. I´ve posted another photo, of the Iris Nebula.

Archived