Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Which imaging scope? ED80 or 130 pds?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Id still be tempted by the 130, even if I had the money for an Espirit. And even so, there are cheaper and perhaps better alternatives to an Espirit, any number of 80/480 scopes would fit the bill (WO/TS/APM/Altair) - as long as they're FPL53 glass. If I had the dosh, I'd go for the Altair Astro version of the 80/480, good focuser and terminates in an M48 thread.

Id still be tempted by the 130, even if I had the money for an Espirit....as long as they're FPL53 glass. .. and terminates in an M48 thread.

Hi,

Understood the first bit (up tp 130)

Thanks.  I think the answer is TWO scopes with differing focal lengths?

Thank god I have my 200p Dob for starters!

Cheers,

Mark

Hi Rob,

That's a good point.  I recently bought an EQ5 pro Skyscan thingy.  Got a bit brain fuddled when the guy was explaining it (and showing how it works) to me, but I knew it was a good mount, so bought it anyway.  I had the intention of buying a 200PDS, but after advice in SGL, bought the 200p Dobsonian.  (The EQ5 mount comes in three boxes, man!)

Cheers,

Mark

The EQ5 Pro Synscan should be good for up to 11.5Kg imaging so you needn't be limited to the two scopes you mention.

The GSO 8" F4 is 'only' 8Kg and beats all scopes thus far mentioned on optical speed hands down (although it should be mentioned at this point that all fast Newtonian scopes are collimation critical!)

Also the GSO 6" F4 (inexplicably more expensive than it's larger brother) is lighter proposition at only 5.3Kgs (again the collimation caveat applies with this F4 scope).

You mention that you are an absolute beginner- in that case I'd go for the ED80, you can use it as the guide scope later on a 'proper scope'!

What glorious wispy goodness both those images are. I don't know that I would have revisited if I managed such a corker first time round :)

Cheers Matt, I might be adding to that once ive completed my current project. It would mean switching correctors again (back to the SW), which is a bit more fiddly - but I find it hard to say "no" to f4.4 :)

Or, I could just start again, bin it, and go for maximum signal rather than fine detail.... I'll have a think about it ;)

Yep, thats about it...

Small things = Big telescope (1000mm+ FL)

Big things = Small telescope (300-700mm FL)

And believe me, some things in the night sky are VERY big :D

Hi,

Understood the first bit (up tp 130)

Thank god I have my 200p Dob for starters!

Cheers,

Mark

Oh yes the 200p Dob, maybe you can use that for planets if you can track by hand ok with it? 

Actually, if you already have a reflector which needs some knowledge of collimation then you might as well get the 130pds. You need to learn about collimation anyway with the 200p Dob right?

The EQ5 Pro Synscan should be good for up to 11.5Kg imaging so you needn't be limited to the two scopes you mention.

"...You mention that you are an absolute beginner- in that case I'd go for the ED80, you can use it as the guide scope later on a 'proper scope'!"

Hmmm...  Again, being drawn towards the ED80.

Just thought, will the Canon 700 fit straight onto it?

Cheers,

Mark

Oh yes the 200p Dob, maybe you can use that for planets if you can track by hand ok with it? 

Actually, if you already have a reflector which needs some knowledge of collimation then you might as well get the 130pds. You need to learn about collimation anyway with the 200p Dob right?

Chris,

Haven't opened boxes yet.  Long story short - my home is cluttered.  Have de cluttered a bit today.  Dob mount is HEAvy (and big)

Steve to the B from FLO said, maybe no need to Colliminate just yet.

Will let you know how I get on...

Cheers,

Mark

Hi Mark, you're right, one thing at a time scope wise :)

In the mean time it might be good to read the following:

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/books/making-every-photon-count-steve-richards.html

I wish I'd read it when I first started imaging a few years back, I only bought a copy last year!

No imaging for me now days until the kids are older, just back to visual for now. I'll avert my gaze from those lovely shiny Atik CCD's  :icon_profileright:

Hi Mark, you're right, one thing at a time scope wise :)

In the mean time it might be good to read the following:

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/books/making-every-photon-count-steve-richards.html

I wish I'd read it when I first started imaging a few years back, I only bought a copy last year!

No imaging for me now days until the kids are older, just back to visual for now. I'll avert my gaze from those lovely shiny Atik CCD's  :icon_profileright:

Dude,

Will buy book (when money comes in).  Also, - re; imaging, Won't the winter help re: time with children?

I have no idea.  I have no children!

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks Tin an AG.

Hmm...  From what I can gather so far:  Reflector = Spikes in the image.  ED's = works straight out of the box.  If (IF!) I had the money, an Esprit may be the way to go.  An ED80 is a good compromise between the two and is excellent for imaging Galaxies etc and Planets.

At the end of the day, it really is all about taste...

Cheers,

Mark

Taste it is! I must say I love the diffraction Spikes. I think it adds something a bit magical to the images.....  but that is just me being soppy!

Dude,

Will buy book (when money comes in).  Also, - re; imaging, Won't the winter help re: time with children?

I have no idea.  I have no children!

Cheers,

Mark"

lol, well I could find time to image when we just had our little boy, then last summer we had our twin girls which really is both wonderful and very time consuming.

Imaging is both wonderful and rewarding but it takes quite a bit of time and energy. I'll be back to it in a few years no doubt, but for now I'm enjoying going back to visual, it's very therapeutic to get 30 minutes away from the noise and chaos of the kids once in a while :)

Anyway, you're in good hands with the SGL crowd with your imaging journey, and you can't go wrong with either the ED80 or 130pds for DSO imaging :)

Best of luck

Chris

IMHO 80ED to start. That is what I am doing. The Evostar 80ED DS-Pro is a superb starter scope for imaging. Get a good mount tho or you are wasting your time... as much as you can afford even if you buy secondhand. A mediocre scope on a good mount will allow you to get the most out of the scope... put a superb scope on a mediocre mount and you will always get mediocre images.

Although I image with a Newtonian most of the time if you're a beginner then an ED80 is an excellent choice as there's no fiddling setting up. I've got an ED80 & have used it on various target's & can't fault it.

For a grab & go it's great for observing, especially now that I have a Nexstar mount for it. Unfortunately it needs the collimating looking at as it's a bit out due to my tinkering. The only downside with it is that it's a dew magnet so it needs a dewband for it at some point.
I don't image with it though apart from a spot of lunar work now & then.

Archived