NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Moon filter

Can't say I am a big fan of the Moon green, I did rather like the 25% ND filter for the Moon I was loaned a good while back, I also had the use of a double polerizer as well but found that a bit un-necessary. On lower powers the Moon does have a bite to it, at least if you are observing it the is no need to get dark adapted. It is funny when you look at anything after with the observing eye, I call it the cheap sunglasses look, everything looks brownish.

Alan

Can't say I am a big fan of the Moon green, I did rather like the 25% ND filter for the Moon I was loaned a good while back, I also had the use of a double polerizer as well but found that a bit un-necessary. On lower powers the Moon does have a bite to it, at least if you are observing it the is no need to get dark adapted. It is funny when you look at anything after with the observing eye, I call it the cheap sunglasses look, everything looks brownish.

Alan

I have also tried a variable polarising filter (2 filters) as well as a single polarising filter on the Moon. I found I prefer the view without any of them on this target, so far. Whereas the single polarising filter helps me to see some shades on Jupiter's North and South Equatorial belts, which are normally unreachable without filter, on the Moon, this filter does not show anything more but actually removes a bit of light (and therefore detail).

I will try again in the next weeks, but so far, this is what I can say.

Regarding colour filters on the Moon, it is a no for me too. I love its white and black colours, and don't like to see the white replaced with a non-real colour. Same think why I have not bought a solar continuum filter, and only use a polariser filter (in addition to the mandatory solar filter!) on this target. It is a matter of taste of course. For some people, colour filters improve the contrast. Assuming this is true, I belong to the group who prefer less contrast but a natural colour. 

Why bother with any filter?

Peter

I feel that as well but many folks seem to feel that they are practically mandatory.

The 1st pic in the original post looks like the view from a spaceship porthole in a 1960's "B" movie sci-fi epic :smiley:

Why bother with any filter?

Peter

Because OIII and UHC filters do an excellent job.

I use a Neodymium to good effect on Jupiter and Mars.

John, I know you don't use filters other than OIII/UHC etc, but I do think a lot depends on your eyes. I know mine are very different, the left I use for observing and gives less bright images but excellent resolution. My right eye shows much brighter views (but worse resolution) so I would likely want some form of filtering if I used this eye on the moon. I'm sure other people's eye vary quite a lot too so everyone's experience and requirements are different.

I'm happy in my Solar observing for the Sun to appear green due to the solar continuum filter i have. I dont need to use it and the views without it are fantastic. I dont think i could be happy with a green Moon though.

I also have a variable polarising filter for solar observing, and a standard Moon filter (came as part of a kit). I really have no need for either. The Hershel wedge i use for solar is already polarised, and i dont find any need for a Moon filter.

Paul 

I should have written a bit better. For solar observation, I use the full variable polarising filter (plus the solar wedge), not the single polarising filter.

This only with the Nag 7 (exit pupil 1.2mm) though. For smaller exit pupils, I only just the solar wedge.

as an avid moon viewer must say I've always found my basic orion moon filter disappointing - best views without

I agree. For observing the Moon, no filter is needed. However, i couldnt allow cutepetgroomer to observe the Moon as green. Its just wrong.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

--> I use a variable polarizing filter to watch the moon, it prevents all the discomfort and a lot of eye struggle while looking at the bright moon and dark paper map. I won't get back to no filter, I even use it at 200x... 

Some quality is lost but for me it's mandatory, comfort for my eyes. 

Neodymium looks like an interesting filter too, providing an enhancing effect without changing the colour. (; I want to try one.

Archived