Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Can you see the central core of the Dumbbell?

MattJenko

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I have drawn the right conclusion from the above links. :)

Ive been reading the same links. 

Pulsars are neutron stars. I think maybe subdwarf stars further decay to become pulsars?. So the white dwarf in the Dumbbell will at some stage decay to form a pulsar?.

The bit i didnt really get was the shape of the nebula. Its only really shedding off gases in 2 directions because its restricted on the other sides by something or other.

Interesting thread! Great posts.

Had a wonderful 1st view of it in my 15" with an O-III filter 2 nights ago, but don't recall seeing the central star. Skies arent very dark though at the mo :)

Ive been reading the same links. 

Pulsars are neutron stars. I think maybe subdwarf stars further decay to become pulsars?. So the white dwarf in the Dumbbell will at some stage decay to form a pulsar?.

The bit i didnt really get was the shape of the nebula. Its only really shedding off gases in 2 directions because its restricted on the other sides by something or other.

Im sure i read soemwhere in that lot that it has  companion star, that may of influemenced the way the ejected material dispersed?

see it visually... Is there another way..

Yes- check out the video section of SGL- I think it's called 'Electronically Assisted Vision' (or something like that!). Bright objects like M27 can be more or less viewed in real time with sensitve, modern cameras.

The central star in M27 is easilly picked up in this 10s shot with a Lodestar X2 camera.

m27%2010s%20001_NOELS_zpsyhopw8bu.jpg

Skysafari lists it as a double of mag 14 and mag 17, sep 6.4

Designation is Cudworth 6, or WDS 19596+2243

Excellent, thanks. SkySafari looks to be well worth it. I now want to know what the other Cudworth objects are !!

There are only 6 listed in sky safari, all seem to be very faint doubles with quite small separations. Three of them are the central stars in PN's.

Tricky targets I should think!

Archived