Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Can you see the central core of the Dumbbell?

MattJenko

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

im not sure on this as no chart i have is detailed enough, if you zoom in on stellarium what is one star appears as three but not all are selectable.

Anyone know of an online high detail star chart?

Excellent - thanks all. According to that article, one of the largest white dwarf stars currently known. I can now confidently say I have imaged a white dwarf, how very cool!

If it's 13.5 mag you might be able to see it visually also in your 250mm ?

andrew

im not sure on this as no chart i have is detailed enough, if you zoom in on stellarium what is one star appears as three but not all are selectable.

Anyone know of an online high detail star chart?

Ive been typing in all sorts of search terms to try to find an answer on this and have not found it yet. Could it be un-designated?. I have learned though that the nebula is expanding at a mind boggling speed of 17km per second. At this rate, it might be a naked eye object in a few billion years. Mind you it might be so diffuse by then that it would be too faint to see.

Yeah no luck here or any chart that is detailed enough, Im not sure that the star which is visable is actually one star or the pulsar in question yet, what is the hip number of the pulsar? I cant find that either yet LOL

Well the visible central star is a white dwarf. I know what a pulsar is, but i dont know if a white dwarf can be a pulsar (methinks not). Surely both cant exist in the same position. Is there even a pulsar in there?. I'll have to read up again. 

Either way, i cant find any name or number for the central star, but it is the remnant of the original star. That much i now know.

A search on "dumbbell nebula central star" turns up several references and all seem to imply that it is visible at mag 13.8 or mag 14.

Main reason being it is hot and the largest known white dwarf.

Most of the images sort of say "Dumbbell nebula and central star", it convenientally being very central, the explosion could have been a bit one sided.

This is the best info i have foudn so far.

http://messier.seds.org/m/m027.html

The central star of M27 is quite bright at mag 13.5, and an extremely hot blueish subdwarf dwarf at about 85,000 K (so the spectral type is given as O7 in the Sky Catalog 2000). K.M. Cudworth of the Yerkes Observatory found that it probably has a faint (mag 17) yellow companion at 6.5" in position angle 214 deg (Burnham).

This is better but does not call it a pulsar.

http://www.eso.org/public/news/eso9846/

Despite its class, the Dumbbell Nebula has nothing to do with planets. It consists of very rarified gas that has been ejected from the hot central star (well visible on this photo), now in one of the last evolutionary stages. The gas atoms in the nebula are excited (heated) by the intense ultraviolet radiation from this star and emit strongly at specific wavelengths.

So Its Hot Subdwarf, is that a pulsar?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subdwarf

Hot subdwarfs, of spectral types O and B, also termed "extreme horizontal-branch stars" are an entirely different class of objects to cool subdwarfs. These stars represent a late stage in the evolution of some stars, caused when a red giant star loses its outer hydrogen layers before the core begins to fuse helium. The reasons why this premature mass loss occurs are unclear, but the interaction of stars in a binary star system is thought to be one of the main mechanisms. Single subdwarfs may be the result of a merger of two white dwarfs or gravitational influence from substellar companions. Subdwarf B stars, being more luminous than white dwarfs, are a significant component in the hot star population of old stellar systems, such as globular clusters and elliptical galaxies.[6][7]

Archived