Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

I'd looked at this before and taken it as a widefield Bootes double and moved on. A recent article in Astronomy Now and I made a note to revisit.

Haas gives a split of .8". However this was re measured in 2014 to give a widening 1.2" at a PA of 185 degrees.

I'd been using the old C6r with a 10mm Vixen Plossl up the tube of a 2.5x Barlow. This gave x300. I was really chuffed to get this split so clear and cleanly at what looked well in excess of 1.2". The three made a lovely triple in the fov. Worth finding .

Nick.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The seeing here at the mo is really good (Zeta Her shows easily), so I'll give this a try next clear evening! I would have thought Alan that 1.2 arcsec shouldn't be too much of a challenge with a C6, judging by other well-known tighter doubles that are being split? 

Chris

Nice one Nick, the 6" should split it nicely but as with most tight doubles its conditions. I thought about doing some last night with my Towa but after looking at a wobbly, moon, Jupiter and Venus I stuck with a few wides in Bootes

Very nice Nick. I tried a few last night in the Vixen but seeing was pretty awful. Pi Aquilae split ok but couldn't get anything less than that.

Is there another reference for 298? Can't find it on SkySafari

Nice report and split Nick :smiley:

I'll get the ED120 on this one next time it's out. Zeta Herc is showing quite well as Chris (chiltonstar) says so I might be able to get close to Σ298 :smiley:

Nice report and split Nick :smiley:

I'll get the ED120 on this one next time it's out. Zeta Herc is showing quite well as Chris (chiltonstar) says so I might be able to get close to Σ298 :smiley:

I wish Zeta Herc was showing well for me! Not managed it yet :(

I wish Zeta Herc was showing well for me! Not managed it yet :(

I actually had a shot at sketching it this time last year:

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/154266-zeta-herculis-have-you-ever-managed-a-split/?p=1958580

That was with the ED120 at 257x and 300x. The secondary is really as tight as tight can be up against the primary for me with that scope.

my sky tools has this .

AB: 6.78+7.78 mag, STT 298, ADS 9716
Definitive Orbit: P=55.6 yr, a=0.79"
PA 184° Sep 1.20" (2015.4)

SAO 64800, PPM 78703, HIP 76382, BD +40 02905, GC 20990, STT 298A, ADS 9716A, CCDM 15360+3949A, TYC 03053-0798 1, J153602.2+394809

Should not be to bad with fairly close mags .

I must have a look :icon_pirat:

mike h

Just in from a little session and thought of you Nick  :smiley: I had visited Σ298 before but never realised it could be split into a triple solar system (assuming the brighter star is a companion). This evening, I got a nice hint of separation with the 7mm in the 10" f5 and it was cleanly split when I threw just a little more power. Thanks for the heads up.

22:40 EST USA .  Super clear here in western Pennsylvania for a change . Pickering 7 ish  . Waxing Gibbous Moon bright as all get out . I can confirm Nickos 6 inch refractor split as I split this star with my Meade AR6 first using a 7.4mm Televue plossl and then using a 3.7 mm Orion epic ED2 . Both clean spits . Its a toughie for sure but its there .At a boy Nicko!!! :icon_cyclops:

mike h

A nice little group!

I had a look last night, and despite the poorish seeing and the Moon, the close pair was splittable to close touching circles every few secs (Mak at x250) as the seeing waxed and waned. With the Moon and haze, I did need the setting circles to find the pair though.

Chris

I managed a split last night with the 12 inch SC and the 17.3mm Delos at X176, one seemed to appear a little green to me which I believe is the case. I have to hold my hand up a say I typed in 64800 into the Meade Goto and it found the double.

Alan

A nice little group!

I had a look last night, and despite the poorish seeing and the Moon, the close pair was splittable to close touching circles every few secs (Mak at x250) as the seeing waxed and waned. With the Moon and haze, I did need the setting circles to find the pair though.

Chris

Good one Chris.

Disappointed to hear you resorting to these new dangled modern devices to find stuff though [emoji6][emoji6]

I have to use GOTO for the obscure. We get maybe a couple of hours to pack in as much and possible.

It is however a great sense of satisfaction handing over a simple scope to a newbie then seeing the delight when they've found a target by star hopping.

Yes, I remember delight, did that come before or after pleasure ?

Anyway, well done to all those who have found or finding this elusive split. It's great to see something that's going to eventually close in again ( like

Clear Skies !)

Nick.

Good one Chris.

Disappointed to hear you resorting to these new dangled modern devices to find stuff though [emoji6][emoji6]

Yes - I usually use my papyrus Sky Atlas 2000BC but star charts were out as not many stars were visible. I am thinking about a sturdy goto mount to carry the planned next telescope purchase though....

Chris

Nick,

I can well see how you over looked this one as knowing it's a double the natural thing is to think the star of similar magnitude near by is the other part or visa versa. Much below the power i was using and I would not have seen it, also I was using a fairly large scope which of course makes it easier in theory.

Alan

Archived