Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A nice little group!

I had a look last night, and despite the poorish seeing and the Moon, the close pair was splittable to close touching circles every few secs (Mak at x250) as the seeing waxed and waned. With the Moon and haze, I did need the setting circles to find the pair though.

Chris

Chris, How is your light pollution there ?

mike h

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I managed a split last night with the 12 inch SC and the 17.3mm Delos at X176, one seemed to appear a little green to me which I believe is the case. I have to hold my hand up a say I typed in 64800 into the Meade Goto and it found the double.

Alan

I seen one as green also!!! I didn't know if it was just me because in the 6 inch it was just a hint.

mike h

Chris, How is your light pollution there ?

mike h

Mike: when there's no Moon and no haze, I can see the Milky Way very clearly, with a lot of detail. Not as much as I see from central France, but pretty good for the UK.

E, S and W are ok, N has a lot of Na D lighting and neighbours with gigawatt security lights.

Chris

Mike: when there's no Moon and no haze, I can see the Milky Way very clearly, with a lot of detail. Not as much as I see from central France, but pretty good for the UK.

E, S and W are ok, N has a lot of Na D lighting and neighbours with gigawatt security lights.

Chris

I thought you might have been out in the country there ..Good for you ..

mike h

I managed a split last night with the 12 inch SC and the 17.3mm Delos at X176, one seemed to appear a little green to me which I believe is the case. I have to hold my hand up a say I typed in 64800 into the Meade Goto and it found the double.

Alan

Alan, What do you think of that Delos for double star observing ? I talked to Al a few months back and he told me that the Delos would be great for doubles. I was thinking of a purchase .

mike h

Mike,

Well my obsevations are a bit thin at the moment on the 17.3mm but I have had the others for a fair while now. thought the two shorter ones don't get so much use as these are for my smaller scopes. I would say that any of the Delos range are excellent for doubles, in many ways close to orthos for quality but with eye-relief, I have also used Pentax XW's, well the shorter ones below 10mm and they too are excellent. We are spoilt now, I remember back to when I started in 73 and I used to dream of a 6mm ortho, the other eyepieces I used then bearly ever get a mention thesedays. I maybe wrong but I think there was just Fullerscopes and Hinds, as far as shops go.

I truely feel that with the ranges that TV have out at the moment and the upcoming De-lite, they don't really make a bad eyepiece, I would also be happy with Radians for doubles

Mike,

I have all of them and if I had to pick my favourite that would be it. It's a bit much on the 12 inch LX except on the Moon or Mars and the odd double, but few I find need that much power. It also gets a fair bit of use in M/N190mm, giving X100, I tend to use Ethos in Dob for the extra FOV and the 10mm gives about X229 which is plenty on Jupiter and others target I find, You can never have enough 10mm eyepieces, but I said that about 6mm and 5mm come to that.

Sorry Nick for going a bit of track.

Back on track [emoji6], I found and split this tonight. Nice group as said.

With the Vixen I got it down at x150, nicer at x192 though as the separation was clearer. 9 and 7mm BGO respectively.

I just about managed in it the Tak too, somewhere north of x200 with the nag zoom. Quite dim though

Archived