Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Solar imaging, Lunt 50

Hi all!

Ive just come back from Astrocamp in Cwmdu wales. 

after getting help with my new lunt 50 ive got my first picture. its nothing amazing but its mine and im buzzing after the trouble i had when i first got the scope.

however i would like to know if theres another way i have to image to get the prominences. as they didnt appear on the screen when the sun was focused, the surface detail did but no proms.

is it a case of increasing exposure just to get the proms? or is more sensative equipment needed, i use a ZWO ASI120MC camera

Thanks

Chris 

Reduce the exposure. I find that when using my PST stage 2 that for surface I need something like 1/60 sec but 1/30 when capturing proms. Also make sure you have tuned the etalon properly. When you see images of the sun with detail on the surface and the proms they are an overlay of two separate images.

I have just got a Lunt 50 B600 and as Ian says I find that the Etalon tuning is very sensitive. A slightly different tuning is required to differentiate between peripheral and surface detail during observation. However my first and only DSLR image so far with it did show both surface detail and big proms.

I have just got a Lunt 50 B600 and as Ian says I find that the Etalon tuning is very sensitive. A slightly different tuning is required to differentiate between peripheral and surface detail during observation. However my first and only DSLR image so far with it did show both surface detail and big proms.

I was told i couldnt use a dslr with it, how you got that set up?

Where are you guys getting your Lunt 50's from? I couldn't get one from anywhere so settled for the Lunt 35.

I got mine from tring astronomy, the bloke who owns the shop goes to the star party i just came back from,  i was waiting ages for it though  

You could muck about in Photoshop if you have it or Gimp and do a bit of sharpening and colour it in, can you post a bigger image ?

Try posting in Solar imaging and folks will find it easier, nice to see some LS50 images, not many about considering all the peeps who bought one.

Dave

You could muck about in Photoshop if you have it or Gimp and do a bit of sharpening and colour it in, can you post a bigger image ?

Try posting in Solar imaging and folks will find it easier, nice to see some LS50 images, not many about considering all the peeps who bought one.

Dave

Thanks Dave.  I've had a go and done as you suggest and posted it in the imagine section.  Its a bit blurry though.

Archived