Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Simple pleasures

RLWP

I popped outside this evening towards dusk. Jupiter was just visible dodging the clouds, so I set up the Prinz scope.

As I did, a pipistrelle was doing circuits over my head. The light faded and the smell of newly cut grass intensified

Between the clouds, I saw Jupiter and four moons, her bands just visible. I saw Venus before she dropped below next door's roof, about half a hemisphere. Two of our cats chased around the garden in the fading light

It's overcast now, so I have come in

It's a pretty serene hobby this

Richard

I don't think there's ever been a strict dichotomy. Astronomy and the sciences in general and philosophy have always learned from each other. Philosophy draws from scientific discoveries fresh material for broad generalisations, while to the sciences it imparts world-views, interpretations, categories, logical systems and methodological impulses. Many general guiding ideas that lie at the foundation of astronomy, for example, were first enunciated by philosophical thought and visa versa. The connection between philosophy and astronomy is mutual and characterised by a deep and affectionate interaction.

Here's one from Schopenhauer: "Two Chinamen visiting Europe went to the theatre for the first time. One of them occupied himself with trying to understand the theatrical machinery...The other....sought to unravel the meaning of the play. The former is like the astronomer, the latter the philosopher."

In a way, I think we're all a little of both; the 'philosopher' in us projecting meanings and categories onto the 'out there' while the 'scientist' in us is trying to understand it's 'machinery' :smiley:

Galileo was a Natural Philosopher

Searching for meaning, deciphering mechanics or not, being outside in nature can be very calming and rewarding

Richard

Great post Rob!

And the citation of Schopenhauer is an interesting one! I think I would have missed something of important in my own life if I hadn't studied philosophy at school (and in my free time).

reminded me of the old poem of Christine Swain.

"A moonlight Garden"

A murmurous moonlit garden,
A murmuring summer sea,
Not Arcady nor Arden
Is fairer unto me.

A path of silver shimmer,
Beset on either hand
By wooded spaces dimmer
By wavering shadow-land.
A silence filled with stirring
Of many leaves asleep,
With faint detected whirring
Of moths that, circling, sweep.
Main of all charms so binding,
The sound, the shade, the light,
I feel around me winding
The unnamed scent of night.

Hi Richard.

If you haven't already read Starlight Nights, the adventures of a star gazer by Leslie C. Peltier, then I can wholeheartedly recommend it. Its the autobiography of one of the 20th centuries greatest amateur astronomers and his writing style and love of nature will have you hooked.

Mike :-)

I don't think there's ever been a strict dichotomy. Astronomy and the sciences in general and philosophy have always learned from each other. Philosophy draws from scientific discoveries fresh material for broad generalisations, while to the sciences it imparts world-views, interpretations, categories, logical systems and methodological impulses. Many general guiding ideas that lie at the foundation of astronomy, for example, were first enunciated by philosophical thought and visa versa. The connection between philosophy and astronomy is mutual and characterised by a deep and affectionate interaction.

Here's one from Schopenhauer: "Two Chinamen visiting Europe went to the theatre for the first time. One of them occupied himself with trying to understand the theatrical machinery...The other....sought to unravel the meaning of the play. The former is like the astronomer, the latter the philosopher."

In a way, I think we're all a little of both; the 'philosopher' in us projecting meanings and categories onto the 'out there' while the 'scientist' in us is trying to understand it's 'machinery' :smiley:

ok Rob now me ed urts, enuf wiv da big wurds bloomin ek flosofy an all that

I agree Richard.

My astronomical hiatus (that period many of us seem to have had, when life was too busy for full on hobbies) was punctuated with many such simple pleasures.

Although I've been "reborn" to some degree, it's such pleasures that make it worthwhile. Things like spotting a very young crescent moon and finding naked eye Venus in broad daylight during a recent trip to Tenerife.

I like simple... :)

Nice report. Personally i could do without the fresh cut grass and the cats. When its not too cold outside, i find the hours between 4am and 6am to be perfect and serene. The Earth has given off as much heat as it can and the air is so still and calm. Its not so much about serious observing then, its about the calm and really being at one with the universe and just looking upward with your eyes.

...for us there are other sounds such as the lowing of the cows. It's amazing how the sound carries in the still of the night / early morning - especially when it

starts off quietly and then becomes more agitated. I tend to wonder what the .... is going on! :) ... and then there are the possums with their melodic voices! :)

We wouldn't change city for country any day (or night)!

michael

"We wouldn't change city for country any day (or night)!".

You sure you got that right?. I dont know of many city dwelling cows. 

aaah! That's what comes from attempting to multi-task!!! :) Thanks Paul!

michael

Last night it was lunatic cats, a swallow, blackbirds singing (I was out early) and  the sound of bats hunting. Also, Venus, Jupiter, Vega, Arcturus, Spica, Deneb (I'm mentioning these as I'm pretty sure of my identification) and M13!!!

Astronomy is my reason to be outside, the rest are a bonus and very therapeutic

Richard

Surely anyone who loves the stars has an emotional link to nature's beauty. I couldn't watch the skies and be oblivious to the ambience of the surroundings.

Dave, whilst I would agree with you now at this stage in my life, I do remember years ago being so involved with the process of locating, identifying and then taking the photographs (including obsessively monitoring the tracking) of planets etc that the surroundings were irrelevant - just the place to go to do what I enjoyed. Maybe it is in part a maturational thing? What your comment does lead me to think about is what my wife and I see in the behaviours of people focussed on the distractions in

life and the 'values' they then attempt to 'push' onto others. But, back to the positive, your comment also reminds me of aspects of Taoistic / Zen Buddhist thought -

and that, for me, is important during my day when not observing. Thanks,

michael

Michael, I can remember as a child listening to my parents admiring a view. C'mon, it's a valley with some hills - so what!

Nowadays I get distracted by wild flowers, bees, bats, lunatic cats and - yes - a beautiful view

'What is this world if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare'

Richard

Dave, whilst I would agree with you now at this stage in my life, I do remember years ago being so involved with the process of locating, identifying and then taking the photographs (including obsessively monitoring the tracking) of planets etc that the surroundings were irrelevant

michael

This is analogous maybe - with no offence intended, to train spotting. A train spotter isn't content to see a particular class of loco, he wants to record all of them. I remember as a kid seeing my first Britannia class loco and being pretty impressed but my mate just wanted to tick his list of the class. That was his sole reason for being there.

I popped outside this evening towards dusk. Jupiter was just visible dodging the clouds, so I set up the Prinz scope.

As I did, a pipistrelle was doing circuits over my head. The light faded and the smell of newly cut grass intensified

Between the clouds, I saw Jupiter and four moons, her bands just visible. I saw Venus before she dropped below next door's roof, about half a hemisphere. Two of our cats chased around the garden in the fading light

It's overcast now, so I have come in

It's a pretty serene hobby this

Richard

I just got my first scope last Sunday.  Been looking at jupiter all week!  Though I haven't seen any banding yet, I doubt I will though as the scope I have is very small.

Archived