SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

The Radcliffe Observatory

kirkster501

I like the idea of digging holes for burying peers.  :grin:  (Ooops, no politics on SGL but this is a joke which is bound to appeal to a superannuated English teacher like me...) I'm sure the pier will be alive and well. Forgive me, mods.

Those who've followed your posts for some time will be so happy to see your daughter here in radiant smile. I breathed a deep sigh when I saw her supervising her dad. She will, without doubt, see to it that you get it right! Who needs SGL?

Best,

Olly

Why is post making me think of (Bernard Cribbins hole in ground)

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your observatory sounds as though it will be great. I live in R-O-T but have no  place for an observatory as the middle of the lawn is not considered suitable. I have thought of all sorts of ways around this, but the only possible solution would be an observatory where the whole thing could be moved out when in use and then back when not. I can't imagine that this is possible so will continue to move telescopes out of the shed and then back in again, which is not doing my back a great deal of good. If you have any good ideas please let me know.  Good luck with your work.

Where are you in R-O-T mate?

Did some more work on the obs today.  I finished off the below ground cable conduit and concreted the peer into place.

The hole is 24 inches deep but the rebar is hammered  down three feet deeper than the bottom of the hole.

post-16295-0-90492000-1431192158_thumb.jpost-16295-0-71210000-1431192167_thumb.j

Then I place the 8 inch pipe into place and then add four more pieces of rebar (each one foot long) into the concrete block and each of the four sides:

post-16295-0-40236100-1431192324_thumb.j

Then I get the pipe (filled with concrete now) perfectly vertical and hold in place with paving slabs around it whilst the concrete sets:

post-16295-0-54395000-1431192388_thumb.j

I then adjust the peer top plate to make sure the North post of the EQ6 adapter plate points true North.  I will wind down the top of the top plate to an inch or so above the bottom plate when I have got the mount installed:

post-16295-0-48454500-1431192493_thumb.jpost-16295-0-51587000-1431192499_thumb.j

All left to set now. Even though I have a free day tomorrow and I'd dearly love to get going installing the concrete pad to the obs I think it wise for the peer to be left to set for a week in case of me inadvertently banging into it if the concrete has not completely hardened.

Steve

Thanks guys.  It is 10 feet square.  I am going to put a decorative blue brick course around the edge and take another three or four inches of lawn out to create a nice border with some red flowering plants.

To make my tiredness even more pronounced after mixing all that concrete and laying the slabs, I did a 63 mile bike ride today in very strong winds! I don't think I need the gym for a few days!

post-16295-0-21704300-1431875447_thumb.p

Archived