Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Ethos - First Ever Look T hrough One

Pig

My garden is far from ideal for the deep sky so I'll not get a scope larger than my 12" dob. As it outperforms my refractors on the Moon and planets as well as the deep sky it's "win win" :grin:

I still really enjoy using refractors though, especially for binary stars. An 8" refractor is not affordable or practical for me though wheras a 12" dob with good optics is :smiley:

Apologies to Shaun though - this is really off topic :embarrassed:

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cheers Stu ... that's over 10 Moons in one eyepiece..... maybe they should have been called "Tardis"

It sounds like I would be wasting my time asking for recommendations then, as they all sound good :smiley: even so I do wonder which one will suit my 400 and 500 focal lengths most (forget solar system objects as targets I am happy with the SLV's) but clusters such as Hercules, the Wild Duck and the Double I like lots :laugh:

I reckon 17 or 13 for the Esprit Shaun.

If you ever intend to take it somewhere dark to have a go at the Veil and NAN then 17, otherwise 13.

These are 21, 17 and 13 in the Esprit on a range of targets

68a3b8ab42b1957698d690b3a2d7ed9c.jpg

c7762a04e911da30d3dd945c41989a13.jpg

c7f48f8a4182690841f34713708f4675.jpg

b247772e5725daa3eb234714f56952ff.jpg

28801422055aceb73f43027f8dad65e0.jpg

4e623e8ee4da7a09ead0510739d44067.jpg

fa09337ea48b5dca492f871b671c923d.jpg

Lumicon or Astronomik UHC and you would be sorted :-)

I love all my Ethos but my favourite is still the 21. It tends to hog the scope for most if not all of the night on everything from Galaxies to both types of Nebulae and Globulars are a sight to behold.

I love all my Ethos but my favourite is still the 21. It tends to hog the scope for most if not all of the night on everything from Galaxies to both types of Nebulae and Globulars are a sight to behold.

I think it totally depends upon your scope though Michael. In my 16" at SGLX, the 21 stayed in the scope for much of the time on deep sky observing, except when usurped by the 31mm Nag on The Crescent Neb.

On shorter focal length scopes though there are times when the 17 and even 13 can perform a similar role.

John,

I wouldn't say it is off topic....its most enjoyable to be honest :smiley:

Stu,

Great post detailing the targets available.... very useful info.....sounds like the 13mm will be a good starting given my current set ups :smiley: There is one on ABS at the mo.

Mike,

I love the affection shown when you call me piggy, if I was a women I would wed you :grin:

John,

I wouldn't say it is off topic....its most enjoyable to be honest :smiley:

Stu,

Great post detailing the targets available.... very useful info.....sounds like the 13mm will be a good starting given my current set ups :smiley: There is one on ABS at the mo.

Mike,

I love the affection shown when you call me piggy, if I was a women I would wed you :grin:

dont have to be the opposite sex to get married you no :grin:

How annoying is that..... agreed on the sale and they sold it to someone else :shocked:

Thats annoying Shaun - usually people honor the 1st serious offer to buy :icon_scratch:

I hope you were not "gazumped" by a slightly higher offer - that would be very poor form :embarrassed:

Never mind I am sure another will come along, I cant deny I am a tad disappointed to be honest :sad:

Not that I agree with the ethic and it is not something I would do but he was probably just using me as a back up should the first buyer drop out

Never mind John its water under the bridge now.

I expressed my disappointment to him and explained that he could have been upfront with me :smiley: He had the audacity to say if the payment doesn't go through from the other party concerned he will contact me :shocked: I told him that I have withdrawn my interest as honesty is key to me.

Never mind I am sure another will come along, I cant deny I am a tad disappointed to be honest :sad:

Not that I agree with the ethic and it is not something I would do but he was probably just using me as a back up should the first buyer drop out

I've often had more than one potential buyer for something I'm selling but I always let them know that I have an earlier expression of interest and will get back to them, either way, once the outcome of that is known. Then we all know where we stand.

Its a tough life Alan.... on both marriage & temptation :grin: I am not sure which would be the toughest choice Mike or the Ethos :shocked:

that made me laugh out loud :grin: . shame about the 13e though shaun. isnt there one on abs

I had the same experience 3 years ago. Someone inserted a 100* into my scope and it was over. I have the 21 and 10 Ethos as well as other TVs all of which are absolutely great and habit forming. My 21 delivers 3.5* FOV in my TV np101 which is 7 moons (nagler 31 results in 9). A super combination for rich field viewing of high quality. Easy way to empty the pocket. Enjoy the moment.

Archived