Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Shelter from street lights

A wonderfully clear night tonight. However, the bright street light some 80 yards away is a real pain ... as are the headlights of the odd passing car. I was thinking it would be really handy to have an easy-to-set-up screen around me, 6ft high or thereabouts, on three sides to screen me from the light. I'm sure I'm not the only person to have thought of that. Anyone got any ideas how to do it? Or are such things available for sale? Since most of my sessions are on the tarmac in front of my garage such a screen would have to be freestanding rather than something that could be stuck in the ground. 

All ideas gratefully received.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

I have a similar problem with street lights and security lights. I was thinking about heavy duty black plastic sheets fixed to a 2" x 1" wooden frame, you can build as many as you need to the size you need, and possibly fix them together with hinges. Even three fixed together should still be a managable weight.

Clear skys

Dave.

Which council is that Dom ? Think I will come live near you as East Riding of Yorkshire would laugh the phone down on me if I asked that :p

Next week I'm moving house, again, and won't have any garden.. Hopefully there is a field 1.5ml nearby.. Therefore, I will cycle there with telescope in my backpack and tripod on my shoulder!

Next week I'm moving house, again, and won't have any garden.. Hopefully there is a field 1.5ml nearby.. Therefore, I will cycle there with telescope in my backpack and tripod on my shoulder!

This demonstrates one of the benefits of a smaller scope - unless you're the Incredible Hulk. I can barely carry mine 6ft and it's a drag disassembling it, loading it into the car, putting it together again....etc.

My local council called me today in response to my email asking for something to be done about the street lights, one of the councillors has asked to come see me on Tuesday evening ...worth a [removed word] maybe if we get enough of us on here something might actually be done!

I have a particularly stupidly placed lampost, My councillor said that she would have taken a twelve bore to it A little bit of negotiation and I was able to hammerite the rear off the shade = perfectly dark garden.

These street lights are a flipping pain, our council decided to switch of at midnight, now after many complaints about security they switch of at 1am. I love showing kids the night sky but who is going to let there children stay up to 1am.

Hi wobbly bob which council is that? It would be a start to suggest a switch off time. If anyone out there has example of local councils listening to our call to address light pollution I can out a stronger argument forward .she is coming on Thursday and when I spoke to her today she was very interesting in what I had to say, it's not a topic many out of the know would consider. Most people I imagine say there is nit enough lighting but hey you have to try.

Hi wobbly bob which council is that? It would be a start to suggest a switch off time. If anyone out there has example of local councils listening to our call to address light pollution I can out a stronger argument forward .she is coming on Thursday and when I spoke to her today she was very interesting in what I had to say, it's not a topic many out of the know would consider. Most people I imagine say there is nit enough lighting but hey you have to try

I've emailed my local councillor about the offending lamp in particular and the whole issue more generally, suggesting a range of solutions:

(i) turn off all of them earlier

(ii) turn off some of them earlier

(iii) dim them

(iv) shield them so they shed light downwards and not outwards like a spot light as they do at present.

My councillor may not have any control over the issue but will, I trust(!), pass it to someone who has. I'll report back but I'm not holding my breath.

You may find a camping toilet tent a little restrictive, if you are into DIY, several hinged together 1.8 metre x 1 metre screens, manufactured from suitable soft wood and black plastic, should be stable enough on your hard standing, just an idea for you to work on :)

You may find a camping toilet tent a little restrictive, if you are into DIY, several hinged together 1.8 metre x 1 metre screens, manufactured from suitable soft wood and black plastic, should be stable enough on your hard standing, just an idea for you to work on :)

Yes, I'd thought about that...unless you can get tents for multi-seat camper loos for the socially uninhibited. Trouble is I'm rubbish at DIY. I'll see what the council come up with and then, if needs be, get out the hammer and nails.

Street lighting and nuisance lighting are contentious issues on an astronomy forum and suggestions on how to 'fix' the situation sometimes defy common sense.

The moderation team would like to remind all posters that CRIMINAL DAMAGE IS ILLEGAL - do not post suggestions of criminal damage on SGL.

This includes air rifles, black paint, pointing lasers at the sensor, tampering with the electrics (you could die) and 'anything' else that prevent it from working.

Suggestions of illegal activity, even in jest,  concerning tampering with any nuisance lights will result in 'WITHOUT WARNING' sanctions from the moderation team.

If this is unclear or you feel you cannot comply with this request please do not post on this subject.

Many thanks

The SGL Moderation team.

Archived