Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Shelter from street lights

I quite agree Simon, I started this debate so we could canvas our local authorities to take appropriate and safe measures and get them on our side with a pending election, strength in numbers is what will start action. If we can put well reasoned argument forward and make them a aware of our passion they may just listen

Many thanks

James

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I emailed my local councillor over a week ago as per my earlier posting here. No reply - no acknowledgement. I suspect this is more typical than those councils who are quick to assist or even respond.

I think, sadly that this issue is seen as a "minority, special interest" kind of thing to most people. We may even be considered a bit cranky. I can imagine people wondering who these strange people who want to turn lights off are.

I think, sadly that this issue is seen as a "minority, special interest" kind of thing to most people. We may even be considered a bit cranky. I can imagine people wondering who these strange people who want to turn lights off are.

Alas, I suspect you're right. In my email I explained the problem and suggested some alternatives regarding shielding, timing, etc. so as not to appear unreasonable. 

This was my adventure with street lights: http://stargazerslou...-success-story/

I still think they are too bright, and I think the LED type nullify my LPFs. The BAA were very helpful.

Thanks for that.

Still no reply from my councillor. Am joining the BAA. Had thought of doing so but your message has given me the nudge I needed. Cheers.

I saw a child's gazebo for £14 it has net side but I plan to get one and fix tarpaulin to all 3 sides and use that as a scope shelter and also room to sit in. I have a real problem with security lights but street lights are not the biggest problem.

• 4 weeks later...

After some attempts by the council to paint the rear of the lamppost head black, that didn't work, they have agreed to replace the lamphead to a more modern one which only shines light downwards.

Archived