Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Quark queries

Floater

Briefly, my finger is twitching on the trigger to buy a Quark 'eyepiece' but I have some questions I'm mulling over before committing myself.

I know of several fellow Loungers who could answer my queries very well but I'm posting these 'open', rather than via PMs, because I value the breadth of opinion available and I know that others can learn from any replies, as I have done so often. So, at far greater length, here are my questions:

1. Prominence or chromosphere variant? To date, I have had most enjoyment in Ha observing, viewing the prominences, etc. My Solarmax 40 is a joy. However, I have had no experience of any other dedicated solar scope, so I'm not sure if greater aperture or a different wavelength filter would greatly alter my observations. I do like white light observing but my 'bag' is Ha. I have read in some reviews of the Quark that it makes little difference which option one chooses and, even, that there is no need to go for the proms version since these features are easily visible in the chromosphere alternative. Or maybe it was vice versa? Any advice welcome.

2. I read in the online Quark manual that any wing shift means I should wait '5-10 minutes' before observing again. Does this mean I will see nothing during that period and really will have to spend the time twiddling my thumbs - or, perhaps, looking through another scope in white light?

3. I plan to use the Quark mainly with my 76mm scope (from the online manual again, this is a recommended size) but I would also like to employ my 102mm option at least sometimes. I read that I should use a UV/IR cut filter above 80mm so would I be best to get one of these anyhow and use it with both scopes? And how does the use of such a filter affect viewing?

4. I don't want to get involved with an electric lead to my scope so I would want to look at the battery pack option that Daystar say is available. But I can't find one on offer for sale. Any pointers?

5. Given the inbuilt Barlow of x4.3 (I think that's right?), should I definitely seek out a 1.25" eyepiece in the order of 40mm focal length? With a 4.3 magnification enhancement I fear my longest 1.25" eyepiece - 24mm Panoptic - may prove to be less than useful. Or could I happily use my 2" EPs of 30mm and 40mm? (I'm not entirely comfortable with the 1.25"-2" adapter option.)

6. Finally (was that a sigh from you?), should I get a front-mounted ERF - designated as the' safest' option in the manual?

Sorry this is a bit of a long spiel but grateful for any feedback at all, especially from you folks that I know are ardent users of the Quarks ...

... and all this to pay homage to the 'star in my back garden' ...

(Any claimants/confessors among us for originally using that description of the sun?)

I don't own a Quark but I have been able to try out both the prominence and chromsphere versions.

1) If buying one I would definitely go for the chromosphere unit, the prominences were everything you could wish for and the surface detail  was stunning. The prominence version gave much brighter, you could say too bright, prominence images, the brightness also seemed to swamp the surface detail. For photography I would expect the brightness would lead to the advantage of shorter exposures.

2) Once up to temperature the Quark still gives a worthwhile view whilst changing settings to either "wings"

3) The UV/IR cut filters are a safety net for the Quark filters as they reduce the thermal radiation thereby prolonging their useful life. They do not seem to have a noticeable impact on the visual view.

4) There are several alternatives to the Daystar supplied battery pack. Sorry I can't recall the details.

5) The Quark with which I've had most experience was fitted to a 80mmED Equinox, the best eyepieces were found to be 25mm and 32mm focal length.

6) I don't think a front mounted ERF would be worth the high extra expense, the UV/IR cut filters are adequate for the apertures most suitable for solar observation.

Hope this helps as a starter.  :smiley:

Hi there!

Right, as a Quarker myself, here goes.

1) I would go for the Chromasphere version, it shows the prominences beautifully and gives better surface detail than the Prom version.

2) you can actually start observing before the light goes green on start up, and the detail gradually builds as it comes on band. I rarely move the adjustment for wing shift, but even if you do you can continue observing as the change is made, the views remain as good.

3) Either the 76 or the 102 will be fine with just a UV/IR cut filter. I just put one in front of the diagonal whichever scope I'm using, even the 60mm.

No need for a front mounted etalon at all. Even in a 120mm scope the filter is enough.

4) I bought a cheaper 30000mAh battery off eBay. So long as it has a 2A output you should be fine. I normally Velcro mine to the mount somewhere.

5) I would recommend a 32mm Televue Plossl for starters. I found the 40mm too much like looking down a drinking straw because the etalon limits the FOV. With 40mm you just get lower mag, you don't get a wider FOV. 32mm works well for me much of the time, sometimes I use a 25mm Ortho if the seeing is good. I may try a 40mm again in my 150mm f5.

The 24mm Panoptic is not recommended as far as I'm aware, simpler eyepiece designs apparently work better.

6) As mentioned, I would not bother with a D-ERF at the apertures you are considering. There really is no need if you have a UV/IR Cut filter in front of the diagonal.

I use a 75mm internally mounted D-ERF in my 150mm which works well.

Finally, aperture certainly helps with solar observing, within reason. With the Quark it is a matter of balancing focal length (with the x4.3 barlow) with seeing conditions, aperture and magnification. I love the views in my 60mm as I get full disk with good contrast on the surface detail. Your 76 should work in a similar manner. Larger apertures mean higher mag because of the focal length. My 85 and 106 work very well although I often use a x0.8 focal reducer with them to keep the mag down.

My only other advice is to do it! They are great pieces of kit and I doubt you will regret it!!

Stu

Stu, those pix were taken today (1st), if I'm not mistaken, 'cos I saw those proms ...

EDIT : sorry, just read the caption again!

Yep, hot off the press yesterday [emoji3][emoji3]

1. Prominence or chromosphere variant?
For me the answer is, if you are not sure, get Chromosphere. There is some crossover, the Chromosphere will still show proms (actually, pretty well, even the darkest Quark I have had, which I imagine was closer to 0.3A). I cannot imagine viewing of proms will disappoint with the Chromosphere. And the Prominence will show some disc detail but at significantly lower contrast. The Quark Chrompshere is not super mega constrasty (my double stacked SolarMax 60 had more disc contrast) so I would be wary of sacrificing the disc contrast. Unless I wanted it very much for proms. Also to keep in mind is that disc detail will be richer will larger aperture telescopes, active regions show so much more detail at 100mm, so you might find them a little more involving than at say 60mm. Proms are more engaging too.

Now I have not looked through a Prominence, I am going by what others say, my experience of single stack (0.5A) and double stack (0.7A) with the SM60, and having used a "light" Quark Chromosphere (closer to 0.5A I feel) and a "dark" Quark Chromosphere (about 0.3A?).

Through the dark Quark, I think, wow, those proms look really good! Through the light Quark, wow, they look even better! So I really do not think you would be disappointed with proms in the Chromo. However, I do think you run the risk of being disappointed with disc contrast with the Prominence version, so I would say only go for it if you really do want to focus on proms.

For the imagers, I was actually quite surprised how well a Quark Prominence showed disc detail in a post on the solarchat website. So I think it could be tempting for an imager mainly interested in proms but knowing you can get some disc detail. See here for the post:

http://solarchat.natca.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=15080

I wouldn't mind a Prominence at some point for my imaging as it would let me use a faster exposure for the proms/less gain, so I think in general I would get better prom images. That's my guess, anyway. Visually I find proms good enough with the Chromo, they would be even better in the Prominence, but they are still fab.

2. I read in the online Quark manual that any wing shift means I should wait '5-10 minutes' before observing again.
Easy one. You can carry on observing while it changes. I myself cannot spot that anything is changing in real time, it's as smooth as you like.

3. I plan to use the Quark mainly with my 76mm scope (from the online manual again, this is a recommended size) but I would also like to employ my 102mm option at least sometimes. I read that I should use a UV/IR cut filter above 80mm so would I be best to get one of these anyhow and use it with both scopes? And how does the use of such a filter affect viewing?
I always use a filter with all my scopes so I can't tell you how it affects viewing. I can only do a rubbish guess and say not much, because the view is very good indeed. In my 60mm scope it is very comparable to the SolarMax 60 (apart from Quark has no obvious sweet spot) so I can't imagine the UV/IR cut is messing things much. I use a UV/IR cut in all my scopes, I figure why not, as I have them anyway. Imagers may well want a UV/IR cut anyway for white light imaging. Also, personally I very much prefer the view in my ED100 than with my 85mm scope. I know Daystar talk about the smaller scope but for me the big attraction is around 100mm upwards. Smaller for grab and go as well, fab, both bases covered well :) And though I don't see full disc with my ED100, I see a ton of it with my 60mm grab and go, so that works quite well as a combo.

5. Given the inbuilt Barlow of x4.3 (I think that's right?), should I definitely seek out a 1.25" eyepiece in the order of 40mm focal length? With a 4.3 magnification enhancement I fear my longest 1.25" eyepiece - 24mm Panoptic - may prove to be less than useful. Or could I happily use my 2" EPs of 30mm and 40mm? (I'm not entirely comfortable with the 1.25"-2" adapter option.)
The Quark comes with 1.25 inch barrel eyepiece-side, so you can't by default use 2 inch eyepieces. However, Daystar sell an optional 2 inch replacement barrel. What is the focal length of your 71mm scope? My 60mm is 360mm focal length. I get very easy full disc with 32mm Tele Vue Plossl and I have been using the 25mm Plossl lately (as the missus has pinched the gorgeous 32mm) and I do get an okay full disc with that too. I look forward to there being a prom too large to fit in the view, it will be some sight :D Also you can use a 0.5x reducer with eyepieces if you wish, I have only used that a few times, and I believe regardless of reducer you won't get full disc if your scope is about 450mm or greater in focal length.

6. Finally (was that a sigh from you?), should I get a front-mounted ERF - designated as the' safest' option in the manual?
I have been reluctant to talk much about front ERF's because I want everyone to look at the manual and make their own decision, I am not an expert on how it works. But I know it's handy for others to know, so at your own risk and stressing to follow the manual's advice, take with a pinch of salt that I use UV/IR cut on my Skywatcher 100 DS-Pro and Equinox 120. The 120 is probably borderline and for imaging you may get a bit better performance using a front ERF (I suspect warmth in the light path somewhere causes some instability during the early moments). I have not felt any warmth in the diagonal, on the scope, having read all the advice I feel fine about UV/IR with my 120 but that is me, I make no guarantees and please consult with Daystar if you have any doubts.

Thanks, Luke. I appreciate the time and trouble you gentlefolks have taken to answer my many questions.

I'm glad to see a fairly obvious consensus on all the points I raised and, largely on that basis, have pulled the trigger on a Quark Chromosphere and 2" UV/IR cut filter. I have yet to finalise on power pack and any additional EP(s) I may need (desire?).

Quarks in stock are hard to source but I'm high on the waiting list at Widescreen Centre. Trying not to drum my fingers in impatient anticipation ...

Hope it arrives soon Gordon, just got mine imaging with 100mm refractor and PG Bfly, I'm sure you''ll be over the Moon ? Sun with it, especially with all that winter Sun up North.

Dave

4. I don't want to get involved with an electric lead to my scope so I would want to look at the battery pack option that Daystar say is available. But I can't find one on offer for sale. Any pointers?

I hope your Quark arrives quickly. 

I had to send mine back to the supplier due to a defect on the final red filter before getting to try it out. I hope to get my replacement next week.

For battery power I bought one of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/RAVPower-16000mAh-External-Generation-Portable-Black/dp/B00OJXVDAU  For £24 it seems very well made.

RAVPower also make a nice 6 port USB charger too which I bought at the same time from Amazon.  It charges the battery pack nicely and phones and tablets in quick time too.

I did look at some of the battery packs on Ebay, but I doubted the capacity quoted, some being 30000maH ???

Dave.

Thanks, Dave. A good link and it looks like 'belt n' braces' cover. Will prolly get onto that.

Filled with dismay to read you had a defective product delivered! Now that, sir, is a serious downer. Hope you get sorted.

[Oh no, my preciousss! It musssn't happen. Not a nasssty bad one, preciousss. Not one of theses bad oneses ...]

Gordon,

There isn't really much I can add to the above responses, but here goes:-

Ha Quark Chromosphere was my choice based on advice given on SGL.

I have found with my Equinox - 500mm focal length (f6.3) the 32mm TV plossl delivers the better views and achieves just about a full disk.

The best overall views I get are delivered by 25mm Vixen SLV when combined with the 80mm Esprit - 400mm focal length (f5).However, the 32mm also works very well indeed. both give a full disk. The SLV is significantly more forgiving with eye placement than the 32mm TV

I would also like to add the Leica Vario zoom set at its lowest power is also as good as the 25mm SLV in the Esprit but doesn't quite deliver a full disk.

I also keep viewing whilst adjusting the wing shift with no detrimental affect and I find the centre point to be just fine. Maybe this will change when summer comes due to improved seeing conditions.

Like you I am not so fond of mains power due to the associated restrictions. I use the portable power pack that Daystar sell. I do not know if this has any advantages over other makes but I suspect not as the other posters above use different portable power supplies with no issues.

My experience differs slightly to the other posters experiences when it comes to the UV filter, I find it slightly enhances the views when used with the Esprit but not the Equinox.

My last comment is why the twitchy finger ? Just hit the checkout option :grin: I read somewhere that copper wire was invented by 2 Scots fighting over a penny :grin:

Thanks, Shaun. I had expected you to respond and, in fact, you were on my list of possible PMs.

Your comments are helpful and provide further evidence of a consensus regarding the Chromo version. (Hmm. Predictive text wanted to make that 'chromosome'! Interesting ...)

And, despite your gentle jibe about we Scots being a tad canny with the pennies - you rascal - I 'hit the checkout option' days ago. Just waiting for stock to arrive. A UV/IR filter has already been set aside to be shipped with the Quark.

I had kinda decided to order a TV32 plossl as well, but everything south of the Border seems to be closed just now! And your comment about Vixen EPs is making me think again. Daystar are almost insistent about TV plossls being the best choice but the eye placement issue comes up regularly when I read about them. I'll use the Easter 'downtime' to mull over my options. I really would like to achieve a full disc view but my shortest focal length is 480mm and it seems I may struggle with that. I had thought about a focal reducer but recoiled when I found that would cost close to £200(!) and I'm also mindful about putting too much glass into the focal train. I now plan to wait and see what I can see before plunging into more expense ... Copper wire indeed! Harrumph!

Thanks again to all responders. Now I'm off to look at the sun. It's gorgeous weather here.

My experience differs slightly to the other posters experiences when it comes to the UV filter, I find it slightly enhances the views when used with the Esprit but not the Equinox.

Interesting Shaun. I think you are one of the few using a triplet, although I use with my 106 every now and then. I assume the difference is in the glass used in ED doublets vs Triplets?

Gordon,

I would go for the TV 32 given your focal length, the Vixen is not as sharp (over magnified) in the Equinox. You might just achieve a full disc so hold off on the reducer especially for £200 :shocked:

I am a half Scot and the remainder Maltese, a very dangerous combo when it comes to cash and crumbs :smiley:

Stu,

It does appear the triplet glass may be a factor, I only found out by accident when I realised that I forgot to put the UV filter on, after putting it on I observed a stepped change in the view.

Gordon,

My experience differs slightly to the other posters experiences when it comes to the UV filter, I find it slightly enhances the views when used with the Esprit but not the Equinox.

Interesting Shaun, I've got a couple of air spaced triplets but was frankly a bit chicken of aiming them at the Sun so have stuck to the 100mm doublet, will give it a try next time the Sun appears.

Dave

Dave,

I have not tried the Esprit combined with the Herschel wedge as yet, due to this extremely poor spell of weather, the wait is killing me. If the sun hasn't come to me by the time I take delivery of my camper van I am going in search of it :grin:

Just feeling lazy on this bank holiday weekend Sunday, could someone please tell me what the difference is between this quark thing (I presume it is some sort of image intensifier), and the view through my Lunt LS60? I use an Hyperion clickstop Zoom 8-24mm which works pretty well for me, plenty of sharp detail in surface and proms, although it is the only solar scope I have ever looked through so have nothing to personally compare to.

My other iPad is an iMac.

Just feeling lazy on this bank holiday weekend Sunday, could someone please tell me what the difference is between this quark thing (I presume it is some sort of image intensifier), and the view through my Lunt LS60? I use an Hyperion clickstop Zoom 8-24mm which works pretty well for me, plenty of sharp detail in surface and proms, although it is the only solar scope I have ever looked through so have nothing to personally compare to.

My other iPad is an iMac.

Not an image intensifier, it's basically the blocking filter and Etalon in one package.

The views vary depending upon which scope you use it in. In my 60mm Tak the views are full disk and similar to the single stack Lunt. When put in a 100 or 120mm scope you naturally get higher magnification because of the focal length but do get wonderful close up views of all the Ha detail.

Archived