Delos Happiness

Paul73

Alan - Yes the 17.3mm and the 14mm are not parfocal with the rest of the range.

I only use a Paaracor with my 30mm. There isn't much point in the mid range with my f4.7 scope.

Shane - Sorry. He PM'd me. What was I to do?

Only one more eyepiece to complete my collection.......

Paul

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Paul,

I know it is at the long end of things but I tried the 41mm Pan without Paracorr and I could live with it but only because of the low power, there is no doubt that the PC really sharpens the really wide eyepieces, I thing the 21mm Ethos would not please me but if I ever get a clear sky I must try it and report back after all F4.33 is getting a bit quick.

I don't much fancy using orthoscopics in the scope as my nugding skill are a bit crude but I imagine these could get away without a Paracorr.

Alan.

The interesting thing with them is there is no mention or the range on the Paracorr sheet I have even though the 21mm E is listed which came out after some of the Delos range started, I thing the 6mm 10mm and 17.3 mm were up and running beforehand. 

The delos range feature on the current paracorr type 2 setting sheet. Here is a copy. I use a 6mm and 10mm delos they are conveniently on the same setting. I like to use them with the T.V high hat 1.25" adapter (whether with the paracorr or extension tube), as they are quite long in profile and I feel that this adapter provides good stable support.

Tele Vue Optics: Paracorr Type-2 (VIP-2010) Recommended Tunable Top Positions and Dimensions

Shane

I said before somewhere I have doubled up on Ethos and Delos at 6mm 8mm 10mm and you can include 13mm E with either 12mm or 14mm. I started doing a review of the 6mm and 10mm and put about 14 hours work into it. However when I reviewed my recorded notes they were so much of a muchness with each other I didn't think I could write an interesting piece of work so for the moment I have put it on hold. Now though I have the 18 inch and I may revisit this topic and put it together.

Personally and put in a short one liner the Delos are better planetary eyepieces in my opinion and with little time on the big Dob and basically being useless, Ethos are better if you can't nudge. Do Delos go deeper? Maybe but there really is nothing much in it, people that make these claims are using scopes the size of my dinner table, I only have a large dinner plate.

Alan

Me too! "As good as" in terms of image quality, is good enough for me!

It is worth noting that. I wasn't after the best eyepieces in the world. I'm after the best that I can afford.

I'm just fielding lucky that I can get into the same ballpark.

Paul

Congratulations Paul & Shane, the Delos eyepiece views are stunning.I was ready to purchase the 17.3

myself to go with my 6 & 10mm last week but decided to get a Trf 2008 instead,the dark art's bug has bitten.

Enjoy

Kenny

Shane,

I have never seen a T2 16mm in the flesh but I have a T5 and I would say Delos has the edge on scatter, contrast and sharpness at the very edge and they are better for flatter field. I feel on axis Naglers and all the others are a class act difficult to really better. So many of the differences between these top line eyepieces are so small, it is one of the reasons I take so long over a test. It is the same old thing though get someone else and he or she may call it different.

I think you will like the 17.3mm Delos, if I see one I may well complete the collection, just to keep things neat and tidy you understand.

Alan

My main reason for swapping is the brightness of the ethos vs my t2.. Hoping the delis is the same other than field

Glad you both got one sourced so quickly!!

Shane, I'm sure, from my own experience and from other reports that the Delos is at least as good as the Ethos. It's a great choice, affordable vs the 17e and will give you superb views.

Archived