Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

'Hi!" from London, UK

FireForEffect

Just thought I'd introduce myself and say 'Hi!' to everybody on the forum.

My name is Paz. I've returned to observing after 10 years away. I started observing with a small Konus reflector in 1998 - and moved to a ETX90 EC a month after. I hankered for DSO's and I just knew that I couldn't afford the Scope or photography equipment that I would like to have owned and started moving into other interests.

Well, now I'm back - even though I wasn't involved in viewing for years my general interest in Astronomy never left. I'm also pretty lucky in that Greenwich Observatory is just a few miles away from me - what an inspiration (shame about the horrific light pollution in East London though)! My expectations are now grounded ( I didn't expect to see the brilliant images that are on the packaging of the more heavily marketed products), I just wanted to get back into the practical observing.

While looking at the 'Bay on the off chance of picking something up ( I was still looking at ETX's ) I came across a CPC 800 with a DSI Pro with Meade Filter set and Reducer, Watec 120N Camera, and a JMI remote control Autofocuser as well as a load of other equipment for a decent price.

That was around 2 weeks ago. With the help of a great guy on another forum I've started to evolve my interest into some sort of imaging but fell down horribly a few nights ago at the first hurdle form poor collimation, extremely poor knowledge and no experience. The test images I obtained were over exposed and with no form, just blurred blobs! I was taking shots at 0.2 of a sec just to get those and the images were streaking everywhere - I had the CPC in Alt-Az but expected it to hold an image without a wedge for very fast captures without any sort of guiding - I was doing everything and anything wrong. This was my first 'foray' into imaging a few nights ago. I was on square one when I started, now I'm on square minus five!

Well - that it! Last night I was out for 5 hours trying to achieve the best visual collimation I could do - hopefully this will be adequate and I can try to use the imaging equipment (even though I'm still getting my head around the DSI Pro - sussed about 10% so far - and haven't got a clue with the Watec! - I also got a ToUcam II with the Scope - I think I'd better start with this).

Well, so much for the quick introduction! - apologies for the astro-biography.

I've already used the forum for reference many times after finding it - great info and opinions on here.

Regards,

Paz.

Hi. and welcome to SGL. I think once anyone has a dabble into astronomy, it stays with them to some degree.

Usually, it is the purchase of the first telescope that has a large part to play in whether a person stays, or goes. If the bought after taking advice, they usually stay. Of course astronomy is not always about telescopes, some can get enough pleasure from naked eye observing, supposing their skies are good enough. Others do binocular surfing, and there is nothing finer to scour the Milky Way starfields with. Very useful indeed is a good pair of binoculars.

I hope you enjoy your stay, and If you need any advice, or help, then just ask and a thousand answers will come at you. :(

As far as your imaging results, don't worry, it will come. There is not one exponent of that art that has not had Blobbies at some time or other. :D

Best Wishes.

Ron. :shocked:

Thankyou for all the welcomes - glad I found everybody and the 'Lounge in general. Up until 5 am yesterday reading so much info on here.

Yesterday's activities failed - I couldn't even get an image on the ToUcam trough the CPC - followed the primer to a tee (brilliantly written by the way, an absolute gem for novice's attempting imaging for the first time(well, if you can follow simple instructions-unlike myself)) but still couldn't pull of any form of capture / image on the CCD - I must be doing something seriously wrong. Back to the drawing board with that and the DSI Pro.

Well, I'm off to Maplin's for a video grabber and correct cable adapters to setup the Watec 120N - let's hope I can actually pull this on off without spending hours pondering how I got it wrong.

Clear skies and thanks again for the warm welcome.

Regards,

Paz.

Archived