Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

1st effort with the Quark

Ewan

Hi,

Yesterday I managed to finish work a little early in the afternoon & decided to try out my Quark.

Made sure the 2" IR filter went in the barlow first, set my rig up including the DMK, could not reach focus whatever I tried visually or image wise.

I removed the extension section on the scope & used the 2" focuser directly on the back & finally I got something.

I have a feeling my solar images will always suffer as I cannot get early morning sun because of my house position & work.

Anyway I did a few video runs at 60fps & after processing I have this so far.

post-11075-0-04379100-1427224570.jpg

It's not on par with most on here but I am glad I did manage to test it out & so far as I can see it works as it's meant to.

I never tried the tuning adjustment & wouldn't know what I would be looking for at this stage anyway.

As I pm'd Luke I will be getting a 0.5 reducer but also trying my other mono ccd's, to what effect I am not sure.

Here's to more outings with the Quark.............soon I hope.

post-11075-0-27628100-1427224138_thumb.j

Thanks Dazza, Dave.

I seemed to have attached 2 of the same shots, sorry about that.

For someone who has not viewed solar Ha in person I was pretty impressed.

Off to a good start, Ewan  :laugh:

I am not sure why but I think the pic you PM'd me was a touch clearer? Was it a single frame? Just trying to figure out if the stacking has worked okay. The stacked image straight out of stacking is typically more blurry than the sharpest single frame but after sharpening should beat the single frame, as it has less noise so can take more sharpening before noise becomes too high.

Based on the frame you sent me I would say your Quark is looking good, focus slightly off but clearly a lot of detail (wobbly seeing of late has made focusing difficult!) :laugh:

Thanks everyone for the encouraging comments.

I have to say solar imaging in Ha is not quite as easy as some of you guys/girls make it appear :grin:

Off to a good start, Ewan  :laugh:

I am not sure why but I think the pic you PM'd me was a touch clearer? Was it a single frame? Just trying to figure out if the stacking has worked okay. The stacked image straight out of stacking is typically more blurry than the sharpest single frame but after sharpening should beat the single frame, as it has less noise so can take more sharpening before noise becomes too high.

Based on the frame you sent me I would say your Quark is looking good, focus slightly off but clearly a lot of detail (wobbly seeing of late has made focusing difficult!) :laugh:

Sorry Luke I did another few processing runs & in the end I had so many :eek: I didn't even notice which one I showed you first.

This is the one I think :-

post-11075-0-15177500-1427279201.jpg

Looking at the two shots now the one I pm'd you is a little cleaner in the noise dept.

Typing this at the moment off work with a migraine but..........sunny today so if my head clears I may get out again, take your tips on board Luke & try again.

Thanks again Luke for your time much appreciated.

Archived