NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

New to solar imaging

Viv

Hi all,

I've given in to a bit of HA solar imaging & bought a Solarmax II 60

The only bit of editing software I use is Lightroom, for my aviation images, but dare say, that's not going to cope with HA.

Any recommendations for editing software ?

I've got this image today, edited in LR, think the data is there, but just can't pull it out :(

Any help..........please !!!  ;)

IMG-0234.jpg

Can you give some details of the camera used? Did you use a DSLR or was it a planetary type camera? Is it a single shot or multiple stacked. It seems to me most likely a single,  DSLR(??) shot with focus slightly off. Tweaking focus carefully, and creating a sequence of images to stack improves matter (using AutoStakkert! 2.0 or Registax 6.0), especially as you can then sharpen the results using e.g. ImPP or Astra Image 4.0. Better still use a planetary camera to take a sequence rapidly. If you have a small chip, you can create a mosaic to get the full disk, on larger chips, you can get the entire disk.

I have an SM-II 60, and I know it can get to focus with many cameras with or without Barlow, so that should not pose a problem (like it can do in a Coronado PST, or a Lunt LS35 or LS50). To get an idea of what the camera can do under decent conditions, my latest results are here:

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/238737-rework-of-yesterdays-mosaic/

Nice starter ...  :laugh:

You will really need a mono-chipped camera to get the full detail out , a colour chip or DSLR will only catch 25% of the data that arrives as the green and blue pixels are not going to catch the predominantly red light.

thanks guys.

I was a single image, with a Canon EOS M, using a 2.5 revelation barlow, can't get enough inwards focus without :(

I've got a SPC900, but it won't get full disk in, a mosaic really doesn't appeal ! It took long enough to make my way round the kit for this !! lol

Finding the amount of light a bit much- can't see properly, i'll look at some sort of cover / shield as well.

I just wanted to post this, to show that half decent results are possible, with cheaper kit.

I used a Canon eos 550d on a Bresser Skylux EL 70/900, with Baader solar film.

I will be using the Bresser as a guide scope, on my 150p eventually.post-42779-0-87750200-1426080800_thumb.j

Nice start, love the colour. My guess is that your focus was just a little off, a little tweak can make the difference.

A mono camera is better but the best camera is the camera you have, very good results are possible with a DSLR, David did some really good ones, I would not have guessed they were taken with a DSLR.

Archived