Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M81_M82_Lum

lensman57

Hi,

Taken tonight from my back garden. I went for the Lum just for a change as I knew with the Moon rising I will have little chance of completing an RGB. It is nothing to write home about but as I get very little proper imaging time here it is not too bad, I think a bit of dust  ( IFN ?) is showing too. I just hope that I have not pushed it too far as I am not used to getting the real faint stuff out of my noisy captures.

20 X 900s subs, stacked and processed in PI and PS with calibration frames tweaked in PS but I think that I may have to reprocess this soon.

WO Star71, Atik 383L+ @-22c, Idas D1 filter,  all on HEQ5 with PHD guiding.

Thanks for looking,

Regards,

A.G

post-28808-0-32276400-1425870457_thumb.p

looks like youv'e started something you'll have to finish here AG, very tasty !

Thanks Lee,

I won't hold my breath for this weather holding up, it will be back to usual Manchester fair . I have  also been off work with bad back and other health issues so keeping late nights is not advisable for me. Look forward to seeing some of your images soon.

Regards,

A.G

Nice one AG. I've been trying this target with my little Star71 too. The lum data is nice, but getting the RGB has been a pain, mostly due to light pollution from Lincoln City and a big bright moon! Keep it up man, some nice IFN coming through :)

Phil

Nice one AG. I've been trying this target with my little Star71 too. The lum data is nice, but getting the RGB has been a pain, mostly due to light pollution from Lincoln City and a big bright moon! Keep it up man, some nice IFN coming through :)

Phil

Thanks Phil,

To be honest I have long given up on RGB due to severe LP that is the curse of Manchester and even if I put the IDAS on the imaging speed  will crawl to a halt. I sometimes wish other members wouldn't encourage newcomers to go for RGB if they live in light polluted areas but then again everyone has their own point of view. Looking forward to seeing your images.

Regards,

A.G

Sorry to hear of your recent issues AG, keep your chin up ! I spent 3 months off with crippling sciaitca and a prolapsed disc last year so I know where you're coming from.
Left the scope out on M51 last night, fingers crossed while it cooks in DSS...............................
Lee

Looks like you have some good data there showing through. I was a little surprised at the w shape IFN between M81 and M82 as I've never seen that before......... not that I'm doubting that it's there! So I went on the hunt of a deep Fabian Neyer luminance which can be seen here http://www.starpointing.com/ccd/m81groupbw.html .... Thoughts?

Its a nice deep image of the area,  Im watching with interested as im concidering one of these scopes as a purchase this year.

I too was wondering about the 2 circular structures in the image as ive not seen this before, like Sarah I looked back on another image (Peter Shah's) deep image to compare the backgrounds. Can you see these structures on the original subs prior to subtractingyoutr flats?  What I was wondering about too was the flaring around some of the bright stars, what causing this? IDAS filter?

It is realy nice to see the duo framed like this  - lots going on in the image and look forward to seeing more.

Mark

Looks like you have some good data there showing through. I was a little surprised at the w shape IFN between M81 and M82 as I've never seen that before......... not that I'm doubting that it's there! So I went on the hunt of a deep Fabian Neyer luminance which can be seen here http://www.starpointing.com/ccd/m81groupbw.html .... Thoughts?

Hi Sara,

I found out that the Flats had not corrected two large dust bits or something on the filter, I may have smudged the filter as I was rushing around to set up. The position is exactly where the dust bunnies were. It may have been the case that the focus had shifted due to large temp change during the long session ( long for me that is ) but funny enough everything else seems to have been more or less corrected so I do apologise if the image has misled anyone it wasn't really my intension.

Regards,

A.G

Its a nice deep image of the area,  Im watching with interested as im concidering one of these scopes as a purchase this year.

I too was wondering about the 2 circular structures in the image as ive not seen this before, like Sarah I looked back on another image (Peter Shah's) deep image to compare the backgrounds. Can you see these structures on the original subs prior to subtractingyoutr flats?  What I was wondering about too was the flaring around some of the bright stars, what causing this? IDAS filter?

It is realy nice to see the duo framed like this  - lots going on in the image and look forward to seeing more.

Mark

Thanks Mark,

The swirls are caused by the Flats not correcting the dust bunnies perhaps due to focus shift.

Regards,

A.G

Hi Sara,

I found out that the Flats had not corrected two large dust bits or something on the filter, I may have smudged the filter as I was rushing around to set up. The position is exactly where the dust bunnies were. It may have been the case that the focus had shifted due to large temp change during the long session ( long for me that is ) but funny enough everything else seems to have been more or less corrected so I do apologise if the image has misled anyone it wasn't really my intension.

Regards,

A.G

I didn't for one minute think you were trying to mislead anyone - It just looked so different to what I was expecting that I felt I wanted to learn more :) I'm glad that you got to the bottom of what caused it. 

I didn't for one minute think you were trying to mislead anyone - It just looked so different to what I was expecting that I felt I wanted to learn more :) I'm glad that you got to the bottom of what caused it. 

Thanks Sara,

That was bothering me from the moment I saw the stretch, sometimes the obvious cause eludes our search.

Regards,

A.G

Nice data shame about the bunnies!  Maybe it is this target as  had similar issues when I shot two weeks ago with strange horseshoe shape not dissimilar to that seen in your image being present and it was not flats.  I have since changed my primary lens and reshot one channel to test and it has gone.  Coincidence most likely but would be interesting if something else was causing!! 

Paddy

The IFN is not an easy thing to do and you might need to double your data to start getting anything approaching clean(ish), but I applaud your attempt! :)

Some layer masks would help with lifting the background while keeping a lid on M81/82.

Archived