SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Rosette Nebula - BiColour

PhotoGav

The Rosette Nebula, a beauty some 5,000 light years away, in Monoceros, aka The Unicorn. This was imaged over six nights between the 19th and 28th of January.

post-29321-0-62015300-1423422367_thumb.p

Skywatcher 80ED with reducer and QSI 683-WSG with Baader filters

Ha: 9 x 1800s

OIII: 12 x 1800s

I did shoot a load more Ha data on 30th Jan, with a very bright moon, but decided that it was doing more damage than good to the image. It was painful to throw away some five hours of data, but I have learned my lesson, the hard way!

I'm pretty happy with this result, though do feel that more data would help to smooth it all out. I am beginning to realise that you can never have too much data on a target! The trouble is, our lovely weather doesn't seem to agree......

It has taken quite a while to process this, but I have run out of ideas on how to improve the image, so I throw it out to you all for your comment and suggestions.

That looks great - the contrast of the two colours really brings out the detail

I just started a sequence on this object - but only with an OSC :-( but it will be the first time that I'll be applying flats to the result - it's been that long since I last imaged it :-)

David

Great image. Well done. I have the QSI660wsg with Baader filters but am still getting to grips with software and finding it a steep learning curve. Hope I get close to this some day. Can I ask why you didn't take any SII data? Is this not needed for this target or was it just time and weather etc?

Thank you for the positive comments all.

Very nice, now you should stick the camera on the Edge HD and have a go at the Eskimo Nebula, just to the left a bit :)

Dave

I would, but the edge is currently host to a planetary camera and I'm trying to image Jupiter when skies allow!

Great image. Well done. I have the QSI660wsg with Baader filters but am still getting to grips with software and finding it a steep learning curve. Hope I get close to this some day. Can I ask why you didn't take any SII data? Is this not needed for this target or was it just time and weather etc?

Good luck with the camera, you'll love it I'm sure! Keep at it. As for SII data, I chose to image this in just the two wavelengths as I really like the 'natural' colour palette that this technique offers. I don't even know how much SII stuff there is in The Rosette!

Archived