NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

I've been told I need Glasses - Does this affect my astronomy?

Hi, ideally if you have astigmatism you have to wear your glasses. Also if only one of you eyes needs correction you can use your other eye on the telescope :-). You can tell if you have significant astigmatism by holding the glasses at arms lenght, rotating them and checking if they make objects look alternately taller or fatter.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you don't have astigmatism or something that requires permanent wear and doctor said to wear glasses for tv or reading i see no problem observing without them.You can test while observing if you see okay with or without and decide how it's okay for you.I wear glasses too, as my right eye is in deep..... problems :D but when i use the scope i observe with my left eye and i use no glassess. My glasses cause coma :)

I am short sighted have worn glasses since my early teens and i am now into my late fities. My work involves the use of levels and theodolites and find taking glasses off and adjusting the eye piece is the best way of observing targets. I always take the glasses off when using the scope.

Unfortunately I can't see (hah!) where that page answers my question.

James

I'd call and ask, easiest and most accurate solution. 

I would suggest contact lenses, too. Among other benefits, contacts won't get foggy as they have the body temperature.

Contacts took me about 2 months to 'get used to' but I absolutely love them. I hate glasses. 

These days my life consists of putting glasses on, taking them off, sometimes putting on stronger ones for close up things, often supplanted by a torch cos I can't see in shadow and frequently punctuated by 'where did I put my glasses'!. Things can only get worse... Sigh.

Louise

These days my life consists of putting glasses on, taking them off, sometimes putting on stronger ones for close up things, often supplanted by a torch cos I can't see in shadow and frequently punctuated by 'where did I put my glasses'!. Things can only get worse... Sigh.

Louise

I went 22 years before I realized I was uhh, legally blind at far distances (I'm nearsighted). Not sure how I drove for so long before getting a prescription.. I'm just very glad I don't need reading glasses, would drive me crazy. My contacts are kind of bi-focals which is awesome because otherwise it would hurt to see things up close with the magnification of the contact lenses. 

What always gets me is that when choosing a new pair of frames the nice young lady gives me a pair with no lenses and asks me to look in the mirror to see what I think. A vaguely fuzzy head is about the best I can manage!

To the OP, if possible take a trusted significant other with you.

Don't want to hijack, but do any of you peeps have problems with 'vari-focals' and laptops, I can't use mine and have to get a fixed pair of readers for PC use.

I have that problem so I have a fixed pair for computer use.

Didn't they give you a little card with the measurements?

They may not be quite as "dodgy" as this (my!) pair? :p

SPH   CYL  AXIS  NEARR  -2.25 -1.75 150.0  +2.0L  -6.25 -0.50 180.0  +2.0 

Handy if you ever contemplate DioptrxTM correctors? ;)

Has anyone tried these? As someone with astigmatism, this sounds like the ideal solution, depending on what they cost.

I'd call and ask, easiest and most accurate solution. 

Been back in this morning to discuss my options.  i could have bought several decent Naglers with the amount I now need to spend :(  Still, I guess there's no point having decent Naglers if you can't see through them properly.

Turns out that the "sphere" part of the prescription is "PL" for "planar".  That is, for all intents and purposes my eyes are perfect in that regard.  It's just the astigmatism that needs correcting.

James

I need to wear glasses for close work / reading vdu usage as I have a lazy eye, my stroke over a year ago left me with acquired nystagma, when I look through an eyepiece with my left eye the image rotates making visual observing pretty uncofortable and unpleasant, I dont use my right eye for observing maybe i should give it a try.

Archived