SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Lunt or Baader Herschel wedge?

baggywrinkle

My wallet has itchy feet again.

I have been looking at the Daader and Lunt Herschel wedges? Any opinions.

The Lunt one says it can be used for both visual and photo work wheras the Baader wedge has two versions visual or photo.

No I cannot strech to a PST...Mrs Baggy would drown me in the koi pond at the new property.....

I'm in the same boat. I simply cant pull the trigger on a PST. I have seen the prices of Baader Heshel wedges and they cost the same as a PST. I went for a Hershel wedge from a company in Germany for 160 euros. I may need to add a polarising or solar continuum filter to the optical train.

I only plan to use it with my 70mm refrac. The wedge cost me about twice the value of the scope but that is neither here nor there.

This is what i bought:

http://www.astroshop.eu/solar-prisms/apm-1-25-solar-prism-herschel-wedge/p,18916

SO which filter between a polarising filter and a solar continuum would work best in conjunction with?...................purely for visual, but maybe a bit of imaging.

I bought the 1.25" Lunt HW which has the neutral density filter fixed in place. I use it on my 4" Astro Tech frac with binoviewers + baader continuum filter. With the binoviewers I don't need an additional polarising filter but with a single eyepiece I would recommend it.

FLO currently sell it for £139 which is great price. http://www.firstlightoptics.com/lunt-solar-white-light-systems/lunt-white-light-herschelsolar-wedge.html

I have also taken numerous photos with my Canon 50D DSLR attached to the Herschel Wedge

From what I gather the Baader ceramic is said to provide the best overall views but then I should certainly hope so at the new prices.

I have the 1.25" Lunt HW and can't fault it. In fact dare I say but I actually prefer white light over Ha but I'm sure that will all change when the sun calms down and all I have to look at is a white/ green/ yellow disc.

If I was to offer any advice I would say if money was no object go with the Baader ceramic but if you have a set budget, go with the 1.25" Lunt HW as you will need a polarizer and Baader solar continuum filter to get the best out of the views and these aren't cheap in 2".

I'm in the same boat. I simply cant pull the trigger on a PST. I have seen the prices of Baader Heshel wedges and they cost the same as a PST. I went for a Hershel wedge from a company in Germany for 160 euros. I may need to add a polarising or solar continuum filter to the optical train.

I only plan to use it with my 70mm refrac. The wedge cost me about twice the value of the scope but that is neither here nor there.

This is what i bought:

http://www.astroshop.eu/solar-prisms/apm-1-25-solar-prism-herschel-wedge/p,18916

SO which filter between a polarising filter and a solar continuum would work best in conjunction with?...................purely for visual, but maybe a bit of imaging.

That APM wedge is essentially the same as the Lunt under a different badge. APM giant 100 APO binos are also sold under Lunt branding

Paul, do bear in mind that the ND3.0 filter is not as far as I am aware included in the unit you bought. you MUST use this (it must be a ND3.0) or can damage your eyes. I'd also recommend a Baader SC filter and a polarising filter too. One of the owners of APM designed the Lunt wedge as he works in partnership with them.

Well spotted Shane. Only just noticed it saying it needs an ND3.0. My guess is it is sold like this for imaging only and the option to use for visual with optional ND filter in place. As far as I'm aware all the newer Lunt wedges come with the ND filter fixed securely in place to avoid any mishaps. I think some of the older ones have separate ND filter but they were always supplied with them as part of a package. 

Paul, do bear in mind that the ND3.0 filter is not as far as I am aware included in the unit you bought. you MUST use this (it must be a ND3.0) or can damage your eyes.

Aye, this was mentioned in the other thread as well. Do take care, Luke before observing and if in any doubt ring APM, Lunt or set up a thread here.

- - - - -

Regarding the OP: I use the Lunt's Wedge with built in ND 3.0 filter, variable polariser and continuum filter. If either one of the latter two filters are taken from eyepiece, I find the image too bright and quite a bit of detail and contrast missing. Needless to say, all eyes are different, so it's probably worth experimenting with a simple green colour filter before purchasing the more expensive continuum.

Although initial costs may seem high, if you enjoy solar observing you'll probably find the wedge one of your most used astro-accessories and so in relative terms, will be one of your cheapest buys.

Mine was bought recently and came with a ND3.0 separate and it needs to be added to the eyepiece each time with the other filters. I don't mind as it's amazing with no filters on the moon at lower powers.

Apparently also good on Venus but not tried yet.

I think this was a mistake by Lunt/APM as they eventually agreed to send a new eyepiece holder but this was in poor condition and did not fit inside the case when attached so I use the original spec still and prefer it.

Archived