NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Comet Lovejoy still out there?

I'm down in Bavaria for my winter vacation and what can I tell you the sky is incredibly clear I can see the Pleiades with the naked eye. Any chance comet Lovejoy is still out there in observable range? Can anybody give me any hints as to where to look for it, preferably starting from the Orion system?

My apologies it's probably been discussed a dozen times I'm just anxious I might miss it not sure how long it will remain visible.

Thanks and best regards,

Sven

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was out last night, and I feel I could distinctly make out a little colour in Lovejoy; a delicate hue of whispy marine blue. The only nagging doubt I have is that I've seen so many images of the comet here on SGL that maybe they've subconsciously influenced my perception. The other thing. If we imagine the eyepiece like a clock face, then in the small 76 f6 with a 24mm, extending towards 10 - 11 o'clock, I could swear I saw a nebulous like trail, quite wide (about the width of a thumb) and quite subtle. The image movement within the eyepiece was also in this direction, that is, west was also pointing to about 10 o'clock. Is any of this possible, or was it my eyes playing tricks on me  :dontknow:

Our  first night stargazing with our first telescope (200P Dob) and have seen the core of Lovejoy very clearly, nice and green, from medium light pollution.  Will look for the tail later, plus a few other treasures, once a few more lights go out. 

Excited, N Yorks.

Yep, sounds right. The general impression is quite a large hazy spot of light getting brighter towards a condensed star-like centre. The tail is much, much fainter and really needs imaging to bring it out. Folks with larger apertures and / or really dark skies may be able to discern a tail but it's going to be vary ellusive indeed compared to the central nucleus and coma. 

Archived