NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

BST Starguider

bomberbaz

I know quite a few of you have these and so want to know how anyone finds the eye relief. Best stated ER I can find is between 16-20mm, I am specifically looking at the 12mm and above so wondered if anyone can tell me more.

I would be particularly interested in hearing from spectacle wearers.

Steve.

Hi Steve,

I found some figures for the Astro Tech Paradigm eyepieces which I believe are the same eyepiece as the BST Starguiders. Thay are as follows:

Focal Length            Eye Relief

25mm                       15mm

18mm                       13mm

15mm                       15mm

12mm                       13mm

8mm                       13mm

5mm                       13mm

It will be interesting to see if someone has some different figures for the Starguiders.

The actual useable eye relief depends on whether the eye lens is recessed or not and whether it's concave or not as ER is measured from the centre of the top surface of the eye lens.

Hi Steve,

I found some figures for the Astro Tech Paradigm eyepieces which I believe are the same eyepiece as the BST Starguiders. Thay are as follows:

Focal Length            Eye Relief

25mm                       15mm

18mm                       13mm

15mm                       15mm

12mm                       13mm

8mm                       13mm

5mm                       13mm

It will be interesting to see if someone has some different figures for the Starguiders.

The actual useable eye relief depends on whether the eye lens is recessed or not and whether it's concave or not as ER is measured from the centre of the top surface of the eye lens.

Very good point this john, the BST have a raised hard rubber rim so this is going to be very restrictive on spectacle wearers and could possibly make the EP's with 13mm ER unuseable or at best, very uncomfortable.

Steve.......the description reads "soft rubber......." unbelievably convenient for spectacle wearers" on the web site, however it doesn't feel extremely soft on the actual  12mm BST ( unless you remove the rubber -  It really is soft rubber,  but pointless  when off the eyepiece ) It feels firm on the eyepiece. These rubber eye-cups twist into the desired position.

The eyepieces have a decent amount of eye relief, and generally you would lower the  eye-cup for glass wearers. I wear prescription glasses, but not for my eyepieces, only need them on the Telrad, Driving, Fishing Shooting ect?

I don't know of any eye-cup that can effectively shield ones eye whilst wearing glasses, so I assume there would not be much difference in use to any other eyepiece in your collection, except these eye-caps don't roll/fold.  They twist into position, to anywhere between an estimated 11mm rise on the 12mm EP and still about 4-5mm  clearance when lowered from the face of the rubber to the eyeglass ( Approximate) 

I have the eye-cups fully raised and just bury my eye socket into the eyepiece, that's comfortable  for my needs. I have tried wearing my glasses, and still get good views, but no improvement, and the fact that there is space between my eye and the spectacle glass,  I'm not getting any shielding of stray light!

Your looking at 13mm Eye-relief and 60° AFOV from the 12mm Starguider. These EPs look very similar to at least 4 maybe 5  other 'Branded' EP's, I'm sure they all originate from the same company in their origin?  The BST's from  Barsta ( BarSTa ) .

Bought new, they appear to be the cheapest option, but really,  do give them a  once over,  give them a try, what have you to lose ( postage to return them if they fail your requirements?   I'm certain you'll be amazed at their quality and performance. 

At the end of the Day, what ever the cost or brand name, the only thing to satisfy is what you and your eyes get from the EP.  You have what appears to be a decent EP collection already! I would buy a Delos 12mm and 8mm for my 300P Skyliner ( dont have one yet ) only because of what I have read and how FASTER scopes work better with Premium EPs. Take an Ethos, its not going to satisfy everyone, Take an 8mm  Tele Vue Plossl, great EP, great value,  just so uncomfortable for me  at 6mm eye-relief.

The BST's like any other EP out there, will either  fit your requirement, or they won't. The retailer has a font of knowledge and is very, very  helpful, not forceful. I'm sure even if you mentioned some of your  existing EPs in your expanding range you would get an honest, opinion, whether your wasting your time in even looking at a  BST or try one and surprise your self? 

I'm in no way affiliated! I just love these EP's and they work very well for my needs. They were bought on the advice of the SGL community. I have no regrets whatsoever, and use every eyepiece. I'm still  contemplating the 3.2mm to complete my 'set'. Still some further tests on  my 6mm WO SPL + Barlow. Its either a go-it alone 3mm SPL or the 3.2mm BST.  The SPL wins on Eye Relief and Magnification, The BST will be more comfortable ?

I suspect that the challenge will be, Steve, you may have got used to Pentax XW's and TV Delos's. Setting aside the superb optical performance, these are also just about as comfortable as eyepieces get from an eye relief / eye cup adjustment / field of view / eye lens size point of view. Very tough acts to follow :smiley:

I suspect that the challenge will be, Steve, you may have got used to Pentax XW's and TV Delos's. Setting aside the superb optical performance, these are also just about as comfortable as eyepieces get from an eye relief / eye cup adjustment / field of view / eye lens size point of view. Very tough acts to follow :smiley:

Yes this is the problem John. In case you didn't already know I am (reluctantly) letting my premium collection go and downgrading them options that are more in keeping with the amount of time I get at teh eyepiece these days. 

I am looking at getting a 15mm BST to start with (this size is very difficult to find a decent ep in this size that suits my needs and f0rmed the basis of this thread) and then get a couple of X-cels. Already have a good barlow and thats it.

Anyway, thanks for all the help guys, nice little write up there charic. I have emailed a provider just to check rtns policy and will then look at a BST 15mm to see how it is.

Steve

steve just a thought, i tried the bst in a sct and my current dob, the views were quite good for the money but i didnt like the yellow tint that was on most objects. for the same money and my opinion a lot sharper ep with the same eye relief and afov are the ts h-r planatery eps. modern astronomt sell them and i rate these above the bst

steve just a thought, i tried the bst in a sct and my current dob, the views were quite good for the money but i didnt like the yellow tint that was on most objects. for the same money and my opinion a lot sharper ep with the same eye relief and afov are the ts h-r planatery eps. modern astronomt sell them and i rate these above the bst

Look very much like a TMB those mate http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p3440_TS-Optics-15mm-HR-Planetary-UWA---60----1-25--Okular---voll-multiverguetet.html

Not sure if I can go with that as tried one before and wasn't over keen although it was at a shorter focal length!

An in depth review here also regarding this eyepeice http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/179997-four-4mm-planetary-eyepieces/ Although it is historic, I have to take on board the comments ref flaring and ghosting but thanks anyway.

I may yet fill the gap with a SLV 15mm as i had the 9mm and although didnt get too much time with it, it did seem a very nice piece of glass and the FOV is less important to me at shorter focal lengths, costs a little more but there you go, tough call.

Why the 15mm BST then look at X-Cels for others?

There is a 15mm X-Cel and at least you maintain the parfocal aspects if you went for all X-Cels.

I also think that BST's claim ~15mm eye relief and the X-Cels ~16-18mm.

So fractionally more, or at least no less.

...... I have emailed a provider just to check rtns policy and will then look at a BST 15mm to see how it is.

Steve

All online retailers will offer this deal Steve. It's required under the Distance Selling Regulations.

I returned a quite expensive eyepiece to Telescope House becuase it didn't suit me and I just had to pay the return postage as long as I did it within 30 days of receipt of the goods.

Why the 15mm BST then look at X-Cels for others?

There is a 15mm X-Cel and at least you maintain the parfocal aspects if you went for all X-Cels.

I also think that BST's claim ~15mm eye relief and the X-Cels ~16-18mm.

So fractionally more, or at least no less.

Don't thinkn they do a 15mm X-cel Ronin, if they did i would have simply gone for that as the best all round option given my needs.

steve

Eeek!! :eek: :eek:

You are right, I always thought they did a 15mm.

I have had the soild idea that they did the 7mm and 9mm then all the others matched the BST's.

Told people this for about the last 3 years (or more). :rolleyes:

Oops.

Think I need another good coffee, seems to cure most things.

Apologies to all those I have wrongly informed.

Damn, damn, damn, damn, damn. :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead:

Steve,

looking at the data I would say that you are going to better served with a selection of the Vixen SLV that John reviewed a while back. When John makes a statement that the 6mm was one of the best he has ever used I press the order button even though I have three 6mm eyepieces already. 20mm ER on the range!

Steve,

looking at the data I would say that you are going to better served with a selection of the Vixen SLV that John reviewed a while back. When John makes a statement that the 6mm was one of the best he has ever used I press the order button even though I have three 6mm eyepieces already. 20mm ER on the range!

Already have Alan, and also managed to get a hold of one of the earlier series Lanthanum EP's at 18mm, job sorted, cheers  :smiley:

I agree with Mark in Macc, I use BST StarGuiders and I have never

noticed a yellow tinge, the eye relief and field of view are perfect for

me, they might not suit everyone, but you will only find this out if you

try it for your self, I think they are great value for money too.

Sometimes things like eyepiece tone can be more apparent after using a range of EP's for comparison, one after another. Looking at faulksy's signature he has compared the BST's to a range of tones and eyepieces of excellent quality. You had Delos too didn't you Mike? I don't doubt for a minute the yellow cast as faulksy reports as my own EP's have a very definite range of tones.

Agree with most of what has been said above, but on the BST StarGuiders, spectacle wearers would not have to wind up the hard rubber eyeguard, they are there for non-spectacle wearers to help guide the eye to the right spot.

Sometimes things like eyepiece tone can be more apparent after using a range of EP's for comparison, one after another. Looking at faulksy's signature he has compared the BST's to a range of tones and eyepieces of excellent quality. You had Delos too didn't you Mike? I don't doubt for a minute the yellow cast as faulksy reports as my own EP's have a very definite range of tones.

hi gerry, i had the delos but then moved to ethos. when i did compare the bsts, i had a couple of ts hrs and bgos, and found everything had a warm glow with the bsts especialy when viewing planets. but for the money they were great views. just didnt like the warm colour :smiley:

Yes, to each their own. I like a few warmer tone eyepieces around for when conditions demand as well as the cooler ones. My KK orthos are excellent, cool and yet have a yellow tone on the moon which I don't care for- on Jupiter and Saturn they are extremely good. I hear the BST's are a good choice in eyepieces, an excellent tool in the box.

Steve,

I have been contemplating getting the 15mm SLV. However, my 25mm SLV and the TAL Barlow  compliment each over well indeed and I am wondering if the difference is betwixt the two is worthwhile :smiley: 

All online retailers will offer this deal Steve. It's required under the Distance Selling Regulations.

I returned a quite expensive eyepiece to Telescope House becuase it didn't suit me and I just had to pay the return postage as long as I did it within 30 days of receipt of the goods.

Depending  on how and where  you purchase on-line, I would still always check the returns policy/small print just in case, let the buyer be aware?

I'm aware of the amount of times that I have stated that the BSTs can be returned, as instructed  by  the retailer himself ( customer satisfaction in advance! )

But the (DSR) Distance Selling Regulations has caveats? There are some exemptions. The regulations do not apply to:

a one-off distance sale made in response to a customer request — but they do apply if you organise your business to regularly deal with such requests
sales of financial services (but these are covered by separate regulations including the Financial Services Distance Marketing Regulations)
sales of land or buildings, including lease agreements for three years or more
sales using vending machines or automated commercial premises, and public payphones 
sales at auction (including internet auctions)
DSRs don’t apply to auction-style format listings on eBay, and if you are a private seller (i.e. you are not acting for business purposes for either yourself or on behalf of someone else) then you do not have to comply with DSRs.
Note:  I live in one county, but post coded to another?  so I'm often  furious that I have to pay additional costs for mail order/online products, because the system thinks I live on some remote Scottish island? Its important that I'm aware of my rights to cancel, replace, exchange or return damaged goods,  and what those returns policies are. The new regulations are a bonus for me, but I still check. 

Depending  on how and where  you purchase on-line, I would still always check the returns policy/small print just in case, let the buyer be aware?....

Of course you should check but all the on-line retailers web sites that I have looked at recently have similar returns policies now as they are required to do. The retailer you are referring to offers 14 days. Some others offer longer eg: FLO offer 30 days.

Archived