Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The sun again, mostly

Sam

Here's the sun from today. You may notice a small piece missing..... unfortunately I didn't cover the disk enough with the four frames. Anyway what I was trying to do was use flats to get rid of the dust bunnies and the newtons rings. A big thanks to DrRobin for suggesting FireCapture and using flats :) , I think both worked well. Well flats certainly do and now I have my head around firecapture I think that will be very useful as well - especially the extra control it gives over the QHY5. In looking for instruction on creating and using flats I got some tips on false colouring, so this image has a bit of colour. As for the sun, very nice and hot today, loving summer before having to go back to work.

post-1453-142025841171_thumb.jpg

That was quick Sam, well done on getting a great capture and getting use to Firecapture. I haven't actually tried flats within Firecapture, just saw it was capable, but did use them in Autostakkert as suggest by Michael. I think Firecapture uses the flats as it takes each frame, which should give you good frame subtraction, but you will need to take them first and if you are like me, you see something good and want to get it on film before it goes.

To take a flat you can defocus and optionally move the frame around a bit to even out any bright spots on the sun or use a supermarket white plastic bag over the front to diffuse the image. I used to use a piece of drafting film (posh name for tracing paper) but it cuts out a lot of the light and my exposure times were really long.

I don't often use a flat these days for solar, my white light rig doesn't need them, neither does my Lunt 60 with a 1.5x Barlow. I might however, give them a try with my Quark, it has a fairly uneven field.

Make the most of the sunny weather and the holidays.

Robin

Thanks for the feedback, I took the avi for the flat with Fire Capture and used the create flat feature in Registax and load flat for the processing of the sun avi. Robin, thanks for the tip about moving the sun around a bit to even out the bright spots, I'll do that today.

Nice mosiac, just getting the hang of these myself. I don't use flats but will check them out. This is the great thing about posting and picking up hints & tips along the way. A little mention of a technique here and there makes you search around and hopefully improve things as I go.

Nice mosiac, just getting the hang of these myself. I don't use flats but will check them out. This is the great thing about posting and picking up hints & tips along the way. A little mention of a technique here and there makes you search around and hopefully improve things as I go.

Very true! :)

Archived