NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hitecastro USB EQ Direct Interface problem

Gina

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Louise :)  I have all updates turned off so shouldn't be that.  Anyway it's dead mon two machines.

I'll get a spare later Sara.  Certainly seems a good idea.  Interesting that you had those problems that were solved by a new EQDir, I suspect |I have been having the same.

I'm using Windoes 7 Pete.

I knew you were using Win 7 Gina, as in my #22 post. I mentioned the Win 8 driver because it was mentioned previously in this thread.

The reason I have rebuilt my Win 7 laptop from a factory default was because it did fail in use Louise. It was -2 outside and I was packing up at about 4am. As I was taking flats, the filterwheel 'hung up' and from there on, the computer started running very slow and programs started hanging/crashing. I tried reloading software, running help utilities and software to edit the registry for the next day or so, to no avail. I then thought I might have a hardware problem, but decided to try a factory reset before I looked at hardware. I now reloaded the OS, all the software/Windows updates etc and the machine is running as it should be.

Each to their own, of course, but I would always try to eliminate the possibility of software problems before I changed hardware.

Looks like mine has died :(  It was working one minute this morning as I was setting my rig up but after the not unusual EQMOD failed message I found I couldn't connect to the mount and when I uplugged and replugged I got the usual beeps but with a system message about USB device problem.  Brought it indoors to check on my desktop and get the same :(

Would anyone please either confirm that my device is dead or suggest something I can do?   Problem is that FLO are closed until 5th January so can't order a replacement :(  Any suggestions very welcome.  Looks like I'll be unable to take advantage of a clear night tonight and seemingly again on Sunday.  I'm getting very close to thoroughly FED UP! :(

attachicon.gifUSB Error.JPG

I used to get this at odd times with my ASI 120 camera, in my case it was dying usb cable.

A.G

I had one of the Hi-Tech Astro EqDir cables just die on me 2 or 3 years ago. I couldn't see anything physically wrong with it, but it failed to be recognised on any computer I tried it with. Touchwood, it's replacement has not let me down.

However I think Sara's suggestion of having a spare to hand is not a bad idea as it's quite a showstopper if it goes belly up.

Might be time to make your own EQDir adapter there are plans on how to do it and as mentioned a spare would be handy........

http://eq-mod.sourceforge.net/reqindex.html

http://uk.farnell.com/ftdi/ttl-232r-pcb/module-conv-usb-to-ttl-serial/dp/1740366?mckv=hpAks78g|pcrid|48111623589|plid|&CMP=KNC-GUK-[removed word]-GEN-LISTINGS-SHOPPING-FTDI

Might be time to make your own EQDir adapter there are plans on how to do it and as mentioned a spare would be handy........

http://eq-mod.sourceforge.net/reqindex.html

You could be right :D  I already have a few USB to Serial adapters that I should be able to adapt.  I ought to have the confidence to make my own :D

If the newly arrived adapter works ok, try replacing the cable on the old unit, nice bit of screened stuff, it might just work again.   :)

It's the USB side that doesn't work and the USB connector is soldered directly to the PCB so I don't think it's repairable.

Hi Gina,

Having read all of the posts about your eqmod cable, there is a strong possibility that it is the cable itself that is faulty. Possibly a broken internal wire. Over time strands do break. You mentioned that you had been having problems at times then it would be OK again. This is quite often a precursor to a joint failure or cable break. Windows will detect the USB chip if connected but if it is not passing the signals to the mount you will get no response from the mount. If windows cannot connect to the USB chip because of the lead you get the error message. One way to tell if it is the lead before cutting free the USB connector from the wire is to basically waggle the wire between your fingers slowly whilst pushing the hands gently together. If suddenly windows pops up a message either way you will know it is probably a broken wire in the lead, this can usually happen at either end as they are the points most likely to fail,( most movement against a static point).The lead is moving a lot over time and wires are only so flexible.  You could try cutting off the lead and re-soldering it back on after testing the remainder, or just fit a new length of cable, preferred option. Might give you back a spare at little cost. The glue used is of the hot gun variety and easily cut of with a sharp small knife or a scalpel.

Just a thought.

Derek

My health has now improved enough that I could get out to my observatory early this afternoon and try to get set up.

I'm still having problems.  The EQ8 mount works after CdC is started up and connected but it's still not going to the preset park points and after the first movement with the NSEW buttons in EQMOD ASCOM gives up.  Or rather something gives up as the mount doesn't move from the buttons.  I tried restarting Windows but no joy.

Something is wrong but I don't know what.  Nor can I think what to do :(  Shall I buy another HiTech EQDir adapter cable from FLO, different computer or what?  I've mislaid the Handset and it's cable so can't try that.

My health has now improved enough that I could get out to my observatory early this afternoon and try to get set up.

I'm still having problems.  The EQ8 mount works after CdC is started up and connected but it's still not going to the preset park points and after the first movement with the NSEW buttons in EQMOD ASCOM gives up.  Or rather something gives up as the mount doesn't move from the buttons.  I tried restarting Windows but no joy.

Something is wrong but I don't know what.  Nor can I think what to do :(  Shall I buy another HiTech EQDir adapter cable from FLO, different computer or what?  I've mislaid the Handset and it's cable so can't try that.

I can't imagine a new cable would be causing the same problem (though you never know!). Power supply maybe? Or faulty interface/contacts on the EQ8? Maybe do a search on here to see if somebody else has experienced the same problem. I'm probably not much help, sorry.

Louise

Thank you folks :)  Guess I'll buy another adapter cable also I'll try connecting the mount directly to a fully charged car battery.  That should deal with any possible power problems.  Been planning to arrange battery backup anyway but not got round to it :D

Gina,

What voltage is on the battery. If you can measure it at the mount end of the cable (if it is a long cable) all the better. Preferably do this whilst the mount is powered up. Just stick a meter across the positive and negative terminals when it is set to 20 volt DC. Make sure you don't short out the battery or touch the mount casing with the test leads of the meter. If the battery is lower than 12.00 volts  that could be a problem. When the mount tries to move the current increases and if a low voltage is present before the attempted move the voltage will drop even lower under load. The EQ8 manual states:

Output Voltage: DC 11V (minimum) to DC 16V (maximum). Voltage not in this range might cause permanent damage to the motor controller or the hand controller.

Output Current: 4A for power supply with 11V output voltage, 2.5A for power supply with 16V output voltage.

So if the battery is down at  about 11 volts no load under load its voltage could drop a lot lower. Look for a slow flashing of the red power led, indication of low voltage.

Derek

Gina,

I am using Hi Tec Astro USB to ttl leads. The FTDI one I have do not work at all for some reason, and I have tried several in 3.3 and 5 volt forms. So my suggestion is to at the moment stick with Hi Tec.

Rather than buy a new one can you not borrow one from somebody to try first. Because if it is a faulty lead then fair enough try to get a refund,  but if not then possibly money wasted.

Could be a software driver problem.

Derek

Archived