Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Prusa i3 3D printer

tekkydave

This is a really excellent project to find on here. I didn't know this sort of thing exsisted until I saw an advert on TV the other day which described building a 3D printer via a weekly or monthly magazine. I decided to check out the links you posted and it looks very interesting. I then decided to take a look on good old Youtube to see what they had and came across this step by step video log detailing the same build. 

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The right-hand bracket has finished printing. This is based on an item I downloaded from Thingiverse. I widened the 'mouth' of the bracket from 7 to 22.5mm using Sketchup to fit over the edge of the cabinet above the printer. They could potentially support multiple spools by placing a section of dowel between the brackets.

attachicon.gifprusa_print_filament_holder_R.jpg

That part looks really good Dave, you must be pleased with progress, difficult to judge size from the jpg - would that be 50mm end to end.

Great thread again.

That part looks really good Dave, you must be pleased with progress, difficult to judge size from the jpg - would that be 50mm end to end.

Great thread again.

A bit longer than that. This shot shows the completed brackets in use. The tie-wrap is to keep the brackets from pushing apart. I need to put a length of pipe between them to form a fixed 'axle'.

post-28249-0-23714000-1421613878.jpg

The first 3D printer I had (as a kit) didn't have printed plastic parts, they were injection moulded.  But globally, as soon as one 3D printer existed, the plastic parts could be printed to make others :)  This is the principle of the RepRap printers :)

Actually, they aren't brittle, especially ABS.  They are amazingly strong and flexible enough to use as springs :)  I have produced several springs including a door latch and return springs for adjustable scope alignment.

[quothey'reame=Gina" post="2542497" timestamp="1421921876]

Actually, they aren't brittle, especially ABS. They are amazingly strong and flexible enough to use as springs :) I have produced several springs including a door latch and return springs for adjustable scope alignment.

Ah right, they're far more versatile than I had imagined.

Made a couple of improvements to the printer this weekend.

First was to print a y-axis endstop bracket. The kit doesn't come with one and the microswitch was just tie-wrapped to the frame. This was proving a bit unreliable. So it is now mounted on a stable bracket on the rear of the frame. I removed the wheel on the switch arm to make a better contact with the bed base.

post-28249-0-81551200-1422212600.jpgpost-28249-0-63162600-1422212589.jpgpost-28249-0-27200400-1422212612.jpgpost-28249-0-78683200-1422212629.jpg

I also rewired the ATX PSU so the power resistors are on the inside of the case. I snipped off all the un-needed wires at the pcb and replaced the multiple thin wires with more heavy-duty ones. These are all terminated on a chocolate-block strip on the side. I have made the 12v, 5v and 3.3v lines available, although only 12v is used by the printer.

post-28249-0-94153500-1422212644.jpgpost-28249-0-63032800-1422212657.jpg

Made a couple of improvements to the printer this weekend.

First was to print a y-axis endstop bracket. The kit doesn't come with one and the microswitch was just tie-wrapped to the frame. This was proving a bit unreliable. So it is now mounted on a stable bracket on the rear of the frame. I removed the wheel on the switch arm to make a better contact with the bed base.

attachicon.gifyendstop1.jpgattachicon.gifyendstop2.jpgattachicon.gifyendstop3.jpgattachicon.gifyendstop4.jpg

I also rewired the ATX PSU so the power resistors are on the inside of the case. I snipped off all the un-needed wires at the pcb and replaced the multiple thin wires with more heavy-duty ones. These are all terminated on a chocolate-block strip on the side. I have made the 12v, 5v and 3.3v lines available, although only 12v is used by the printer.

attachicon.gifprusa_psu_rewire1.jpgattachicon.gifprusa_psu_rewire2.jpg

I do like that ATX supply mod Dave - very neat and tidy!

Just thinking the same Snakey, that wrap well used   :smiley:   (good work Dave)

It's a work of art. I'm considering entering it for the Turner Prize. Beats a sheep in formaldehyde hands down.

Seriously though it also allows me to have a much longer, single cable to the printer. Took ages to do though. I had to completely dismantle the PSU, take out the pcb and drill larger holes through it for the heavier gauge wire.

• 5 weeks later...

I have been looking for a metal case to put the Ramps 1.4 and a Raspberry Pi in and spotted some old PC-ATX power supplies I had. So I gutted the electronics out and worked out the best orientation for the boards. Using an old psu case gives you a decent sized fan to keep the stepper drivers cool.

post-28249-0-28492400-1424884927.jpgpost-28249-0-59242600-1424884942.jpg

Next step - to the drill and hacksaw department.

Are you using the Pi to control the Arduino?

Lance

Yes, I'm using a program called Octoprint and Rpi model B+. There is a self-contained distro for the Pi called Octopi which has Octoprint pre-installed and is very good. It lets you connect a webcam too so you can monitor the printer remotely.

I'll get back to my RepRap based printer one day - concentrating on getting imaging gear sorted our ATM :D  I might well be interested in the details Dave - sounds very interesting :)

Yes, I'm using a program called Octoprint and Rpi model B+. There is a self-contained distro for the Pi called Octopi which has Octoprint pre-installed and is very good. It lets you connect a webcam too so you can monitor the printer remotely.

Oooh, I was thinking of doing something similar, but didn't realise the solution already exists!

Cheers.

Lance

• 2 months later...

Had some time to spare (doesn't happen very often) today so decided to start on the printer re-wire. I plan to move the RAMPS into a separate case with a Raspberry Pi running Octopi (see earlier post). I want to bring all the wiring to a single point on the rear of the printer so I can have a single lead going to the RAMPS/Pi enclosure. I chose a 37w D-sub as it has sufficient pins with a few to spare for any future uses I might devise. This will carry all the low/medium current connections (motors, end-stops, thermistors, extruder fan). The high-current connections (heated bed, extruder heater) will be separate.

Here is the result after rewiring. Much neater and no trailing wires.

post-28249-0-74472800-1432568335.jpg

The large choc-block is the heated bed and the smaller one is the extruder heater.

post-28249-0-06623000-1432568357.jpg

I used these self-adhesive cable clamps. They are brilliant - you can tighten them up and release if you need to get the wires out. Then lock and tighten up again.

post-28249-0-06927500-1432568376.jpgpost-28249-0-84124700-1432568392.jpgpost-28249-0-40835000-1432568414.jpg

I have left the 37w trailing rather than try to fix it to the chassis. I will put a fixed 37w socket in the RAMPS/Pi box and make up a 37w male-male lead to connect the two.

Yes, that's better :)  Using the Rpi is interesting - I look forward to your comparison with the more usual Arduino, and further details :)

• 2 weeks later...

A bit more progress on the Ramps/RPi enclosure this weekend. I have swapped the locations of the Ramps and RPi inside as it makes more sense to have access to the RPi's HDMI socket if I need it. I have drilled the base for the board mountings and mounted using nylon screws and threaded spacers. I managed to use most of the 0.1" connectors I cut off the leads when tidying up the printer wiring but needed to make up some new ones for a few of the connections.

post-28249-0-21847800-1433685123.jpg

post-28249-0-40252200-1433685135.jpg

Most of the front panel metal grille was easy to remove with strong wire cutters and the rest with a small hacksaw. I mocked up the new front panel using thick card (~2.5mm). Once I have the printer working again I'll print a proper panel up. The 37-way D-sub is for the low-current circuits and will be identical to the one on the printer. I need to make up a 37w-37w patch lead to connect the two. The high current circuits (hot-end power, heated bed power) will be separate. I haven't decided on what connectors to use for that yet. Also, I think I will keep the Ramps power input (green 4p connector) internal to the case so that will be replaced with screw terminals or hard-wired and will not be accessible via the front panel.

I may also put a small 12v to 5v DC-DC converter in the case to provide 5v for the RPi. That way it will only need a single 12v supply.

Next I need to solder up all the flying leads to the D-sub.

Archived