Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Best eyepieces??

ddtwelve12

As some of you know im coming back to astronomy ive got coming soon the skywatcher 200p flextube goto

but was looking at buying the baader hyperion mini set at £355 each eyepiece is £84.99 so the sum total is £340 so £15 for pre cut case ??

are the suppled eyepieces in the set good or can I get better for the price ??

I haven't ever used the eyepieces you mention but I know that people speak highly of most of them. There is a fine tuning ring that modularises the eyepiece varying it's focal length so you could in theory buy one 14mm ring and get 2 eyepiece focal lengths and buy the other 28mm ring to gain another reducing your need for lots of eyepieces.

Either way you can work out what you might need focal length wise here:

http://www.stargazing.net/naa/scopemath.htm

Regards

Dannae

They are already in you sig, so have you already bought them before I type?!

I'm not sure I'd get the set!

A 5mm won't be much use other than on the moon and I find I can push things further than a 5mm on that.

I can't comment on their quality however as I've never used one.

never been a huge fan of the Hyperions, the will be ok though in your F6 dob. but that said i think the Televue plossl's are better value for money in my opinion. they might not looks as aesthetically pleasing as the Hyperions, but the build quality and the views are excellent and they would be fine in faster scopes you may own in the future.

there will no shortage of people recommending other eyepieces rather than the Hyperions.

Don't have them but have read of them not performing as well as expected in "fast" scopes and f/5 seems to be a "fast" scope as far as Hyperons are concerned.

Trouble is they are an eyepiece that people either rave over or think "Whats so good about them?". So the views are polarised. I find when that occurs you just get 2 opposing opinions.

I do not know much else at the price you give, around £85 an eyepiece.

in the first light review he compared them to eyepieces twice the price and apart from a little contrast and astertism at the edges thought they were good as long as you don't get the 5mm vixen and its ghosting :0

Thats quite true - the Vixen LVW's were, at that time, about twice the price of the Hyperions. I liked the Hyperions and think they are well designed and constructed but I wouldn't choose them for a scope faster than around F/7 because I think there are better choices around now such as the BST Explorers, Celestron X-Cel LX's and Explore Scientific 68 degree range.

+1 for used! Then you can judge the series before going for a whole lot. I got a 17" Hyperion second hand and really get on with it in the f/7.5 refractor. I liked it in my f/5 newt but didn't dwell on the astigmatism toward the edges, though it was obvious. That particular EP provides a 2.3 mm pupil exit in my scopes which is ideal. I'm not sure I'd be as happy with the other EPs in the range.

I will second the idea of Baader Mark III zoom, more cost efficient than fixed focal eyepieces of same quality, more productive viewing when you don't waste much time in changing eyepieces.

You might need to get a low power eyepiece for maximum Field Of View(FOV), because the 24mm setting in the zoom has very narrow FOV, if you want to stick with 1.25" eyepiece, a 24mm 68 deg Maxvision should be an excellent choice.

.......is  there such a thing, Best eyepiece? perhaps an orthoscopic, or the TeleVue brand? I suppose the best eyepiece is the one you use the most, just like the question, which is the best telescope. Every telescope / eyepiece combination  will have its pro's and con's, all dependent on the setup and the results the viewer perceives. We will all have differing reviews for the same setup. 

I believe your 200P flex is an f/6 ratio........for my f/6 Skyliner  I find the BST's are very good, even compared with the TeleVue's plossl, which for me has a narrow field of view, and far too short in eye relief for my liking, yet Televue are market leaders, brand wise for some folk, just not for me at present.

Its often quoted not to buy into a 'set' but better to mix-n-match to get the best, but only you can tell what's best for you, your eye, and your wallet. 

I would hate to have bought just TeleVue EPs knowing that cheaper EP's do just as good a job. I would have also had to contend with, if the TV's are so good, and there is nothing better to buy, is my telescope up to scratch and able to match the ability of the  eyepieces.

I don't think any one combination is best for everyone, else we would all be using it!

I've been quite fortunate in my purchases. The telescope and all the EP's were from recommendations here at SGL. and so far I`ve not been disillusioned with anything that I have bought.

I'm certain there will be some wonderful sights to see using other eyepieces and (bigger)telescopes, I've just not got around to any star party or clubs yet, my time will come.

Enjoy your selection process!

Archived