NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

The Ignorant Astrophotographer, In Over His Head

What happens when a total newb drops tens of thousands on AP equipment? I decided to start a thread for posting what I'm sure shall be an astronomical number of astronomical questions I shall ask as I drown in the deep end of the pool. I conceded that a guy with my comprehensive lack of experience probably had no business buying so much equipment which was so new to me, but here I am. C'est la vive. What's done is done. I'm reading and reading and I'll no doubt ask questions for which I should have answers.

I've got the complete list of recommended reading I'll be working on.

Okay so I open up the camera and there are 8 slots and the filters just screw in. Should I make a note of which filter has gone into which slot or does it not matter? Is there a recommended specific sequence?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It would also be useful to list your equipment in your sig - that way people will be in a better position to offer assistance :)

I think we can cope with that question without knowing what camera, mount and scope you have!!! :D

You'll definitely need to know which filter is in which slot. My normal sequence is:-

1. L

2. R

3. G

4. B

5. Ha

6. OIII

7. Hb

8. SII

.... but the last four are very much to personal choice. No matter what, you will need to enter this detail in the filter selection software or you'll get in a right mess!

Paramount MX+/tripod

FSQ-106EDXIII

Stellarvue 90mm Raptor

Lodestar X2

QSI 683WSG

Astrodon Filters

The SkyX / MAC

Sitting on my sofa with family... They just asked if I was OK as I have turned a bright shade of green!!!

Excellent purchases. No wonder there is so much cloud everywhere. Good luck with it all. Ask all the questions you need to, this is the greatest place to help get you the results you are after.

Oh yes, and write it down in big letters where you can see it and check every time you start a sequence.

I'd also label the PC's USB ports and the USB cables at both ends so they always go in the same place. This will save you endless heartache.

Start a flie name convention and stick to it. Keep file names short because you can't always see all of them in stacking software. Personally I don't put the object name in the subframe title because only one object goes in one main folder. So Red, 15 minutes, Bin 1 comes out as R900B1. On a second night it comes out as R900B1N2. If I have to do a flip anything after the flip gets the suffix FLIP. (Brilliant, Holmes, how do you do it?) 

Since I'm lucky enough to use cameras which aren't mine, as well as my own, each sub has a prefix indicating the camera so O is mine, T is Tom's and Y is Yves'. This kind of thing is remarkably important since confusion is waiting to pounce in this game!!!

Olly

PS edit; By the way, lots of big spending beginners buy entirely the wrong gear. You didn't.

Oh yes, and write it down in big letters where you can see it and check every time you start a sequence.

I'd also label the PC's USB ports and the USB cables at both ends so they always go in the same place. This will save you endless heartache.

Start a flie name convention and stick to it. Keep file names short because you can't always see all of them in stacking software. Personally I don't put the object name in the subframe title because only one object goes in one main folder. So Red, 15 minutes, Bin 1 comes out as R900B1. On a second night it comes out as R900B1N2. If I have to do a flip anything after the flip gets the suffix FLIP. (Brilliant, Holmes, how do you do it?) 

Since I'm lucky enough to use cameras which aren't mine, as well as my own, each sub has a prefix indicating the camera so O is mine, T is Tom's and Y is Yves'. This kind of thing is remarkably important since confusion is waiting to pounce in this game!!!

Olly

I really must get better organised with image file names too.... I've also thought of keeping a voice recorder handy - can use the mic on the new laptop :) This will be very useful for notes whilst I'm imaging :)

Louise

My family have no idea the extant of the expense. I'd be ashamed to share that info and fear they'd have me institutionalized. I began with a truly reasonable and modest budget... I'm not exactly sure where it all went bad.

Regardless, while the expense makes me nauseated, the possibilities keep me going. I have nothing but time and this should fill much of it for a very long time which was the point all along.

Sitting on my sofa with family... They just asked if I was OK as I have turned a bright shade of green!!!

Excellent purchases. No wonder there is so much cloud everywhere. Good luck with it all. Ask all the questions you need to, this is the greatest place to help get you the results you are after.

It looks to me that you've bought some really serious kit (green with envy).

Most of us start small and slowly build up our level of skill.  Astrophotography is a complicated hobby and you've gone straight to the complicated end of it.

As another poster has suggested, I would suggest some one to one or pretty intensive tuition if you want to get even basically proficient in less than a year or so (depends whether you're retired or have a job to go to!).

Intrigued by the back story to all this - proper budget, lots of time... Argh just gone greener!

I don't know what your level of imaging is, but as has been suggested, a bit of 'analogue' help could be invaluable! Where are you based?

On disability so LOTS of time. I'd LOVE to be able to hire a tutor!!!! There are a couple strong universities here! I bet I could find one there! Great idea!!! That would change things quite a bit. Thanks for the idea!!!!!

It looks to me that you've bought some really serious kit (green with envy).

Most of us start small and slowly build up our level of skill. Astrophotography is a complicated hobby and you've gone straight to the complicated end of it.

As another poster has suggested, I would suggest some one to one or pretty intensive tuition if you want to get even basically proficient in less than a year or so (depends whether you're retired or have a job to go to!).

Yeah it's a long complicated story. I'm in Birmingham, Alabama. I took the logical approach to picking equipment by seeking out the images I aspired to, discovered what equipment was used, and bought it. Also Larry at OPT was helpful.

Intrigued by the back story to all this - proper budget, lots of time... Argh just gone greener!

I don't know what your level of imaging is, but as has been suggested, a bit of 'analogue' help could be invaluable! Where are you based?

For those who haven't seen my monstrosity... Which reminds me.

Question #002: any advantage to using scopes side by side vs piggybacked? Or any other way?

Why are you using two scopes on this setup when you have off axis guiding? I'm not sure I would want to be observing while imaging on the same mount?

This is embarrassing to admit, but there was a good deal on the SV90. It was pretty and carbon fiber [emoji57] I saw many pictures of twin refractor setups and figured I'd find a purpose eventually [emoji51]

Why are you using two scopes on this setup when you have off axis guiding? I'm not sure I would want to be observing while imaging on the same mount?

Question #002: any advantage to using scopes side by side vs piggybacked? Or any other way?

How often have we heard that question? There are two answers and both are correct ..........

Personally? I prefer side-by-side as you keep the centre of gravity lower but you do need to buy even more kit to make it happen (side by side bar, two saddle clamps for the bar and perhaps a means of aligning them both).

With any two (or more) telescope system, differential flexure is your enemy so you need to take steps to ensure that the two (or more) instruments do not move relative to one another under the pull of gravity as the RA axis rotates and the guide camera corrects! Beefy components are a must and the company, ADM, will be your friend.

Archived