Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The Ignorant Astrophotographer, In Over His Head

Prior to this a had a new 10in LX90. It wasn't it's weight but it's unwieldiness that made it difficult. With my new kit, it's all in small pieces, the heaviest of which is the mount at around 50lbs, but it's small and I can keep it close to my chest and use my legs. I won't lie, it's unpleasant, but such is how these things are. I've sacrificed my life to my back and I won't let it take everything. Besides, it all fits perfectly in my car!!

post-22697-141754263898_thumb.jpg

Hi Liquid360

Great kit list! It must weigh quite a bit so I'm intrigued - how do you move it outside with a bad back?

I started off in a similar way to you and relied on Making Every Photon Count, advice from SGL and Ian King (AP retailer/guru) to help me with my kit selection. It's a huge learning curve but deeply satisfying when things go right.

Good luck!

Regards

John

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lol yeah there's a thread somewhere with me complaining about that. News of that mount broke maybe 3 weeks after I bought mine. I for sure would go that way had I to do it again, but such is life. The MX+ is quite possibly the most beautiful mechanical object I've ever seen and the guys at Bisque are great! I refer to them as The Brothers Bisque or Bisquits. I have no doubt that were I to push the issue they'd trade with me for the smaller one. In the next couple years I may very well move to a better place where I can permanently mount it anyways.

Hi Liquid360

Probably too late for you now but did you know that Paramount now have the more portable and lighter MYT mount weighing in at only 15kg? Just a thought if you find your MX+ hard going on your back.

Regards

John

My second bike was a GSXR750RR, it was an L reg which is a '94. I had it from a year old...

I had a year on a imported GSXR400RR, which was the biggest I could afford to insure untill a year.

If you had never been on a bike before and bought that I'm surprised you're still alive :)

The CBR900 Blade was faster, same weight, but 150cc more... But there was something flakey with the brakes or suspension (can't remember which) at the time.

Ant

Yeah I'm shocked I didn't die. In addition to my lack of any experience whatsoever, in addition to never wearing a helmet, in Montana there weren't any speed limits. The actual law read "drive in a safe and prudent manor" but gave no specifics. It was seriously the time of my life and I was lucky beyond all belief to not have been vaporized in 180mph ball of fire. Oh to be young and invincible again... Heavy sigh.

The CBR was faster straight line but the GSXR was better in the corners.

You still ride?

My second bike was a GSXR750RR, it was an L reg which is a '94. I had it from a year old...

I had a year on a imported GSXR400RR, which was the biggest I could afford to insure untill a year.

If you had never been on a bike before and bought that I'm surprised you're still alive :)

The CBR900 Blade was faster, same weight, but 150cc more... But there was something flakey with the brakes or suspension (can't remember which) at the time.

Ant

So the best motorbikes are the fastest motorbikes? That's a bit sad. It might be nice to see something of the places through which you were riding, no? For me that was most of Europe and Scandinavia between the arctic circle, Portugal and Istanbul. Who care if next year's plastic crotch rocket is faster than last year's? There's nobody on SGL who, riding anything, could have kept up with Mike Hailwood round the Island on a 500 single. But of course their bike would 'eat his alive.' Hehheh. I don't think so.

Back to imaging, I don't think a DSLR has anything at all to add to what you'll get from a CCD in a Tak FSQ. One problem is star colour for which the DSLR lacks well depth. They are also noisy. The best ones work well at very fast F ratios but at 'normal' F ratios the CCD will do just what you want it to do once you know how to ask it nicely. (A bit like motrobikes. A little gentle asking beats a lot of pushing and puling...)

Olly

If you are looking for a mentor to help you with your equipement you don't need to find a local shop to find a mentor. Do a quick google search for astronomy clubs near you. I'm sure you will find several. You will be able to join the club and then go out and join in on on their outing and club meetings. Most people dont have to do this bc they start simple and can usually find everything they need on a quick forum search. But since your equipement is very technical and advanced I would highly suggest this. This will get you the hands on help that is way better than any video you can watch or a forum you can read. Not dissing videos or forum help just that hands on is always better.

I already reached out to and joined the local club of which there are exactly..... wait for it....one. No members I've met are into AP and I've attended enough star parties with them. I've reached out to local universities and am awaiting word. I understand my situation is "unique", but at this point it's the situation with which I am faced. I'm a very technically adept individual, but hands on help, just to give me a push, would be nice, a luxury. The software end of things and post processing are skills in which I'm already relatively proficient and won't be starting from scratch. Adobes software is no problem. I'm not saying I know it all, but know more than enough to be on my own once I learn the rest of the rest of my equipments basics. Had I even the slightest sense I couldn't do this I'd never have gone in like this. From childhood on through, from college to the businesses I've owned, I've always just dove in.

I've thoroughly enjoyed the experience thus far and this forum is so amazing! To do this in ones youth is reckless, but by adulthood, some might call it a lifestyle choice.

If you are looking for a mentor to help you with your equipement you don't need to find a local shop to find a mentor. Do a quick google search for astronomy clubs near you. I'm sure you will find several. You will be able to join the club and then go out and join in on on their outing and club meetings. Most people dont have to do this bc they start simple and can usually find everything they need on a quick forum search. But since your equipement is very technical and advanced I would highly suggest this. This will get you the hands on help that is way better than any video you can watch or a forum you can read. Not dissing videos or forum help just that hands on is always better.

Thanks! Yeah I'm aware of the locals. These clubs are not what one might call "active". The Birmingham Astronomical Society is and I've attended for a couple years. The rest are either too far away or not active. Anybody see the Top Gear episode that had them driving through Alabama?

Thanks! Yeah I'm aware of the locals. These clubs are not what one might call "active". The Birmingham Astronomical Society is and I've attended for a couple years. The rest are either too far away or not active. Anybody see the Top Gear episode that had them driving through Alabama?

Hi

So can not the Birmingham Astronomical Society help/give moral support?

Louise

Super nice people, but few and while they agreed that my new hardware was very pretty, nobody I met had ever used a CCD or seemed to care to. I got the feeling they thought it a shame I hadn't used the funds on a massive Dob.

Hi

So can not the Birmingham Astronomical Society help/give moral support?

Louise

Super nice people, but few and while they agreed that my new hardware was very pretty, nobody I met had ever used a CCD or seemed to care to. I got the feeling they thought it a shame I hadn't used the funds on a massive Dob.

I see... So sounds like you're on your own with the imaging then! Still, the more practice you can get the easier it should become :) One has to be persistent and not let failures or difficulties put you off. Have you managed to have a go yet?

That is the case with most smaller clubs. As most dont have the money to invest into an imaging kit or are the hard core visual astronomer only. 

If your club cant help you try looking for some siminars in the south there or some big star parties that you could spend a weekend at. Some regions have a HUGE star party with hundreds of ppl attend, both visual and AP ppl, and usual is 3-4 days long. Your odds are, like myself, would have to travel out of state for this. But could be a fun small vacation/learning time. And its usually based over a weekend so ppl only have to take a day or two off work. Plus with most people at their scopes at night that leaves all day for workshops(some of the larger one have them) and just help in general.

I've read about and heard them spoken of. It seriously sounds like the best time I can imagine!!!! Even though sleeping on the ground would kill my back, I desperately want to attend one of these!

who says you have to sleep on the ground? You can go rent an RV for the weekend and take it there. you AC or heat and complete shelter and an actual mattress. Though not sure how comfy they are so might want o bring an egg crate or two.

About ten minutes ago I purchased a new book. I felt like something on the subject and very current. And so I ended up with this book. Anybody read this one?

I know that there are others and about making every photon, but I wanted something now/current.

So anybody?

post-22697-14175870829_thumb.jpg

Would it not be an idea to fire up all thIs top end kit and give it a go ??

From there you will actually be able to see where your images stack up against the ones you have looked at .

Trouble is that by the time you have done all the reading / research etc your kit will be out of date and you will need to upgrade ;)

Go on give it a go , you might just be surprised

Oh and do make sure you post up your fist images here :)

I was thinking the same thing and would you care to guess what the problem is? This Tuesday looks to be good. The NAHWP, New Astronomical Hardware Weather Phenomenon should be studied and utilized to bring relief to drought stricken countries.

Seriously though, I've got what, like a few months before my equipment needs upgrading? [emoji57]

I'll defiantly post my first image here. I look forward to comments like "35k bought you that crummy image?!?" And "great setup and you still suck"

Would it not be an idea to fire up all thIs top end kit and give it a go ??

From there you will actually be able to see where your images stack up against the ones you have looked at .

Trouble is that by the time you have done all the reading / research etc your kit will be out of date and you will need to upgrade ;)

Go on give it a go , you might just be surprised

Oh and do make sure you post up your fist images here :)

Yer........come on........fire it up. :grin:

I never had anyone to help me, once my obsy was sort of finished I was doing guided imaging the first clear night.

The images were rubbish and still are..... :grin:.........but I was doing imaging,

Hopefully I'll have a few years to perfect it.

This book, Astrophotography, is really well done/written!!! I liked this....

"In many respects, astrophotography can be compared to learning a musical instrument; both require a bit of practice and perseverance, plus a touch of curiosity and common sense. How many times have we seen amateurs fall victim to the horseman syndrome--"when I fall it's always because of my horse"--and endlessly buy larger, heavier, more expensive, and in theory, more powerful equipment, mistakenly thinking that the new items would produce better results than what they had obtained using a telescope or a camera that they had not taken sufficient time to master?"

Archived