Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Dehumidifier required

Philip Benson

I have an 8ft fiberglass dome which unfortunately is going to need a dehumidifier.  Reference to some forum sites suggests that the ELA DD822 is a favorite but a little more than I was hoping to pay.   I have found this one http://www.easylifegroup.com/product/portable-combi-dehumidifier/3401 from a catalogue. 

Would this be adequate do you think or shall I shell out the extra and get the DD822?

Looking at the link, I couldn't see that the cheaper one has the option of a hose for the removed water, rather than the tank.

The problem with a tank is that once full the dehumidifer will not operate.  The one I have has a hose which works well (except when a slug decided to climb up it!  The dehumidifier is plugged into a socket with a timer that I have set to run twice a night for an hour each time.  An even cleverer option would be to use a sensor to activate power to the socket just when needed but I've not tried that.

Give Roger a call at Dry-it-out and explain what you want to do... He's a really nice chap :)

We have bought another one and use it for drying clothes .. much cheaper than doing ti with a tumble and you can do a room full at a time :)

The DD822 is a Desiccant rotor and strip oven unit... I ran mine year round with the built in humidistat controlling the unit i used to have a green house heater in the obs to keep the temp a few degrees above zero all year round...

From the website...

"The desiccant technology also means constant extraction efficiency that is independant of temperature so the ELA DD822 dehumidifier can be used to keep boats, caravans, motor homes and small garages dry thoughout the winter - even in the lowest temperatures."

Peter...

Yes indeed - I'm afraid you can't get away with a cheap one for this.  I took the recommendation of others who had observatories when I bought mine.  It too works down to 1°C and is very effective at not only keeping the place dry but also in removing wet after a night's dew laden imaging with everything unheated dripping with wet in the morning :)

Give Roger a call at Dry-it-out and explain what you want to do... He's a really nice chap :)

We have bought another one and use it for drying clothes .. much cheaper than doing ti with a tumble and you can do a room full at a time :)

The DD822 is a Desiccant rotor and strip oven unit... I ran mine year round with the built in humidistat controlling the unit i used to have a green house heater in the obs to keep the temp a few degrees above zero all year round...

From the website...

"The desiccant technology also means constant extraction efficiency that is independant of temperature so the ELA DD822 dehumidifier can be used to keep boats, caravans, motor homes and small garages dry thoughout the winter - even in the lowest temperatures."

Peter...

Yeah, dessicant ones can go lower temps, i have a dessicant box in the obs throughout winter. My warnings about not working below 15 degrees is for the model in the op Pete. This isnt dessicant and tge instructions state no good at low temps, I can vouch for that.

Having said that its great for clothes drying and also drying my van out

Hi,

When I was looking for a de-humidifier for my dome I read the comments on here and went for what people were saying is the best, the dd822. I have not been disappointed, an excellent bit of kit; however, in one of the threads there was a discount code, 10% I think that still worked 3 months ago so some saving on what is admittedly a fairly expensive item, worth looking for and see if it still works!. Your call, your money, do you go for what many people use albeit a bit more expensive or do you try something else, remember if you buy cheap you often pay twice.

regards

Mike

Another user of the ECO DD122FW. It's only been in use for 2 months but has been very effective in removing post-observing dew and keeping the humidity at at acceptable level. The supplied drain pipe is a bit stiff and so needed some warm water to mould it into shape but is otherwise ideal.

I was concerned about the electricity usage, but on its current setting a plug-in monitor has measured between 0.6 and 0.9 KWh per day which is far cheaper than damaged equipment

Regards

Adrian

Archived