Which Dob should I buy?

This will be my first telescope. I've narrowed it down to either the Orion XT10i or the Sky-Watcher 12 inch. I think the skywatcher is the only 12 inch I'd be able to fit in my car (2012 audi S4 sedan) due to the collapsible feature but I also liked the idea of having push-to for hard to find DSO's. If synscan was available in the states, I'd probably break the bank and get the 12" version. I've priced both out and it's only about $50 more for the skywatcher. Opinions appreciated.

I'd want a solid tube 12" If I were to upgrade. Collapsible is fine for storage and transportation, but  the need for checking collimation EVERY TIME you need to use the telescope, not for me!  Might as well go the whole hog and get a GoTo with all its problems  too? 

If you want' to keep it real,  keep it simple and  do it all yourself, get a solid tube Dobsonian.

I'd want a solid tube 12" If I were to upgrade. Collapsible is fine for storage and transportation, but  the need for checking collimation EVERY TIME you need to use the telescope, not for me!  Might as well go the whole hog and get a GoTo with all its problems  too? 

If you want' to keep it real,  keep it simple and  do it all yourself, get a solid tube Dobsonian.

You're  going to find you'll need to check collimation every time regardless of tube type with a 12" newtonian scope Charic. Its one of those things that needs to be done with larger mirrors. You may not need to adjust it every time but you should check.   :)

Collimation really isn't anything to fear. 

Hi Joe welcome to the lounge,

maneuverability is the key, it's no good getting a scope you can't

handle by yourself, the flexitube would be the best buy, more

aperture, easier to handle, but you have the hard decision, good luck.

Clear Sky's 

The collimation is pretty simple and often only needs a tweak which takes only a minute ore two. For 12 inches and above the added transportability that the truss tube/ collapasable designs give more than outweighs the minor inconvenience of having to collimate. I have a diy push to system and it does give an added bit of help when star hopping gets tricky, the main thing is to have the base level, location correct in the system and the time correct by a radio source.

Cheers

Thanks for the quick responses everybody! I am leaning towards the SW. I don't think I'd have any trouble moving either one around, I'm 29 and 6'1". As much as the intelligent system on the orion would be a nice crutch for a newbie such as myself, I really think the hunt would be half the fun and aid in learning the sky a bit faster than just pushing the tube to where the computer says. I've read about people putting a big azimuth on the base and an electronic angle finder on the OTA which seems to be essentially the same thing as the push-to computer. That combined with sky safari on the iphone/ipad I feel should get me by just fine. Thoughts?

Charic,

The solid tube 12" does need collimating every time. Or perhaps it's just me...  :D

Granted, it's a great scope out of the box, but I suppose the downside of the flextube would be the expectation that it's lighter than it's solid tube counterpart - it isn't. Also, you would have to make a shroud to block out unwanted stray light.

However, the Flextube is designed for portability - and I am pretty sure the 12" version can be shortened a little bit for binoviewers! The extendable poles have an extra notch for that purpose..not something that is available in other versions (not the 400p, anyway...)

Definitely not lighter at all. I just looked up the weights and I was surprised by how much difference there was. SW OTA-46lbs, Orion OTA-29lbs. Base of the SW-40lbs, orion base-26lbs. This is definitely going to weigh heavily on my decision (pun intended). Decisions decisions...

I have the SW 12" Flextube fitted with an azimuth setting circle and a Wixey elevation angle device and use it with SkySafari for PushTo.

A number of the comments above are spot on - I was using it tonight with my WO Binoviewers on the Moon. With 20mm eyepieces that gives 75x and needs a tube length reduction of about 4" for focus. If you want a little more magnification, it's better to then use a Barlow nosepiece on the BVs (rather than matching shorter focal length eyepieces). The tube length reduction to reach focus with the WO 1.6x Barlow (total magnification then 120) is about 2". Absolutely great combination for the Moon, and of course when the Moon's not around, plenty of light gathering for DSOs in the fully extended length with a single eyepiece (I often use 24 and 34mm 68 degree ones).

I find the SW 12" is on the limit of weight/bulk I can handle on my own. I always separate the tube from the base for moving, even a short distance in the garden. I did take everything in the car (VW Golf) on Friday for a public outreach event and it's easy enough to handle if you plan ahead. Just make sure you have the mount in a good position before you take the tube out from the back seat of the car. I wouldn't recommend laying it down on Tarmac or wet grass, and certainly not on its tube end - the collimation and lock screws heads can protrude just beyond the tube end casting.

I check collimation in the field and after length adjustments with a Barlowed Laser.

I'd opt for the Skywatcher 12". And I'd put a can next to it to toss your spare change into for a laser-collimator. Takes me all of 2 minutes to collimate my Newt. with one. The Orion is a very nice one - especially if you're on a budget - though many will howl to get a Howie Gatter for twice-the-price.

Clear Skies from North of you,

Dave

I use a meade lightbridge and find the set up pretty easy with the advantag3 that it breaks into 4 pieces.... top tube, bottom tub3 , poles and base. This makes it easier and lighter to transport that the flextube.

Mine is a 16 inch and I still manage to get out and about with it and I use a wixey and gemred encoder for the push to system which is spot on every time .... for £60in total I cant think of a better mod for a large dob.

So, consider the lighbridge range too if you are looking at the skywatcher equivalents.

Cheers,

I'm certain my trouble free f/6 Skyliner is going to stay with me for much, much  longer. :smiley:

Collimation is not an issue for me, I find its an easy task,   my scope  doesn't  get  checked every time it gets used, due to careful handling. On the odd occasion you wonder if something is not right, but  my collimation shows correct,  so I blame the conditions?

If only the hobby was simple. Every decision one makes with their telescope and its various accoutrements always seems to have some sort of negative before the positives. 

What's right for me, is not necessarily right for you and vice versa. 

My Celestron 127EQ taught me very quickly what I needed to know about alignment and setting up, image quality, etc  so the less I have to worry and tinker with,  the better and  more enjoyable each session is. 

Focal length and collimation are quite critical, then exposure of the mirror to all the elements without a shroud, the temptation to clean/dust the primary more often due to its ease of access/reach, are all reasons for me not to have a truss  tube system.

Hi Joe, welcome to the forum. I got myself a slightly smaller 8" skywatcher skyliner and love it. Its a substantial piece of kit weighing in around 26kg but easily managible. Its asolid tube version but by removing the two handles the telescope tube is easily removed from the base. It takes me less than 5minutes to pack both parts into my car suitibly protected with a few pillows etc and im of to the galloway dark sky park. Regarding finding dso,s etc where i live in southern scotland the weather is unpredictible and clouds can form in no time so some form of push to mechanism is benificial. Ive added a 360° setting circle to the base and use a magnetic angle metre for altitude measurement. Works like a dream if you have access to alt_az data via a disabled smart phone app. As with most aperture fever hit me after a while and id advise you to get the biggest diameter scope that fits your circumstances. Good luck

I have an Explore scientific 12, my options were a solid 8-10 or a collapsible 12, other options where too big to fit in my car without too much hassle. The 12 fits in the trunk completely, but the 8-10 have to travel in my back seat. But, the 12 is not a grab-and-go telescope, the boxes are heavy, the mirror has a long cooling time, and you have to mount and collimate, although with practice is 15 minutes, even in the dark. So, my vote is an 8 if you plan to use the telescope frequently but for shorter times, or the 12 if you plan to go out only every new moon.

Whatever.. you are going to end with more than one scope :grin:  

I think this thread is just going to prove theres no one fit for all in astronomy = portability, price goto or not - its really hard to make any recommendations as theres a lot to consider and at the end of the day its a pretty personal decision - the best thing to do is use someone elses if you have that opportunity before you comit - good luck anyway - either of the scopes you originally mention will give you fantastic viewing experiences

Archived