Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

WebCAM LEDs

I have a webcam that will work with my Nexus tablet (yipee as no laptop) and on taking it apart I see the 6 enormous LEDs.

I know pretty much nothing about circuitry and am conserned that these look like they are wired in line and if I snip them off my WebCAM would fail.

Do you think that they can be snipped off anway anyone please?

When I did the xBox webcam mod I bust the tiny leds to no ill effect.

gallery_28282_2744_18514.jpg

They could be infra-red LEDs. Do they produce any visible light in the dark? You should be able to snip them off but I couldn't guarantee it. Can you post a close-up pic of both sides of the pcb. I might be able to work out how they are connected up.

Whop whop the good news is I plugged it in again to double check and the LEDS only light up when attached to the PC through a normal USB port.

Connected to my Nexus tablet they did not light up.

The proof will be in the pudding when I reassemble it and check again.

So for now I wont take the snips to it.

Surprized the sensor is that big. 4.386 x 3.64 mm

Back of webcam

gallery_28282_2744_134250.jpg

Front of webcam

gallery_28282_2744_353599.jpg

Typical !!

I put it back together and put it on the tablet and fell off my chair the LEDs were on and super bright, argh. So they will have to be snipped off and hope for the best. I will snip leaving long legs so at worst I could connect them together in case the is an inline thing going on.

There is separate audio control in the app. Slowest this device will do is 14 frames a second any less and the connectivity is lost to the tablet.

i want to ask why cant i use a cmos sensor ?

Of course you can use a cmos sensor,  quite a few cmos web cams have been adapted, it's just that some (not all) old Philips Toucam's were ccd and the sensor was/is very good in low light,  also as there was not much else about at the time a lot of work was put into adapting, long exposure mods etc.

I have now snipped the LEDs off and so far the webcam is still working.

Until I get to test the webcam on the Moon there is no point sharing what it is.

There are lots of webcams out there if you are going to be able to connect your webcam to a laptop when you use it with your telescope then any one is game to try.

Why not go to a car boot sale you might be able to find several webcams to try for like 50p each.

The Moon came out and the clouds were absent for about 25 minutes in total long enough to plonk and go the Heritage and fiddle around enough to see that the webcam has some potential. I had to spend time working out where the focus point was so for this webcam about 1 inch dropped on the tusses but spent so much time doing this hardly had enough time to actually get a decent focus before clounds. But I had a glimpse of focus but too early to know if quality of image from this webcam is worth it. It would take about 9-12 panes in a mosaic to get the whole Moon. I need to sort out front case and make a bigger hole to let my webcam adaptor through to the thread to hold it as gaffer tape was not doing it.

Archived