NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

G1 or Mayall 2

estwing

Has a dark sky shot last year with a 10" Dob. Very surprised how far this globular cluster was from it's galaxy ,M31. Very doubtful that I saw it in the same fov as SAO 53959,

+13.7 mag.

0h32m47s. +39 34' 41".

An easier target is NGC 2419,

http://observing.skyhound.com/archives/feb/NGC_2419.html

Happy hunting,

Nick.

I've tried for Mayall 2 from my club's dark site some years ago. I was using a clubmate's image of the whole area that showed Mayall 2 as a tiny fuzzy

patch. I'm fairly sure I was looking in the correct spot, but failed.

I'm guessing I was using too low a magnification to bring out my target, as Mayall 2 has a tiny apparent size. I made the same mistake hunting for Stephen's Quintet at

my first attempt.

I think the trick with Mayall 2 ( and Stephen's Quintet ) is having star hopped at low power to where you hope is the correct place, up the mag to see the object.

Well that's what works for me with Stephen's Quintet, but I've yet to bag Mayall 2.

Of course aperture ( my club's 16" Dob ) and a dark transparent sky are your essential friend, plus persistence.

Good luck to any Mayall 2 hunters, Ed.

I had a very interesting view of it with my 12". I used TriAtlas C to find it. There are various SGL threads about it if you try a search.

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/79658-mayall-11-or-g1/?hl=%2Bmayall#entry775241

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/79872-g1/?hl=%2Bmayall#entry778360

Close to the glob is a backround galaxy UGC330 which I also saw. The glob itself forms a very small triangle with two other stars and I could see it as clearly non-stellar, i.e. fuzzy.

It's true that it's quite some way from M31: globs orbit their parent galaxy (the ones in our Milky Way were used to locate the galactic centre).

Close to the glob is a backround galaxy UGC330 which I also saw. The glob itself forms a very small triangle with two other stars and I could see it as clearly non-stellar, i.e. fuzzy.

That sounds very familiar as to what I was observing acey. I'm not counting it until I can confirm it though. I was definitely in the right area and narrowing down the target before it kept  clouding over on me. Grrrr!  :angry5:  :angry4:

• 2 weeks later...

I have seen this object once. 2nd of August, 1998. I was on holiday in the USA, and a friend took me into the Rocky Mountains National Park after dark. He brought his 10" Newtonian Dob with him. I clocked Mayall 2 at x214, but found it simply to be faint and stellar. The sketch I made at the eyepiece was later compared with a detailed chart of the area to confirm the bag. I've never looked for it again, but now my interest has been piqued once more...

• 3 weeks later...

I've seen it from my light polluted home on a better than average night.  It was not hard to find as my telescope has 16" and a usable GoTo.

It was about a year ago (ie 2013) but as far as I can remember it looked like a typical fuzzy thing; a bit like M31 seen without a telescope, only round and perhaps a bit more condensed in the middle (warning: memory noise level rising).

If I remember, it is quite small so to confirm you have found it you need seeing good enough to be certain the fuzziness is really there.

So to look at, it is just another fuzzy but I am thrilled to have seen it knowing what it was. :cheesy:   I had a similar reaction to that big nebula in M33, probably on the same night.

• 3 weeks later...

Failed again at Brecon but now me and Steve have narrowed it down....we're coming to get you G1!

i bet i find it frst ;)

This is going to be bagged mark my words!!

I'll get it first, we nearly had it at df 3

Speak for yourself ;)

Swampy 1 faulksy 0

Mayall III next.......

geez guys...just buy a camera  :evil:

Archived